Notices

In search of a new tow vehicle

Old 03-20-2023, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 797 Likes on 446 Posts
Default In search of a new tow vehicle

Guys,

We have come to the conclusion that the old Avalanche has run it's course. It's been a good tow vehicle for both our Rinker 236 and our PQ280, but it's starting to show signs of its age and milage. We need to find something else. So....

We are limited to 228" bumper to bumper, so we can park it in our garage (It's the wife's daily driver). Unfortunately, that rules out most four door, or even just extended cab pickups, but we can squeeze a Suburban (and it's GM clones) and the Expedition MAX. My points of consideration are with the powertrains.

As I said, Our Avalanche has done OK. And, when I say OK, I mean OK. Not stellar, by any stretch. It did great with the Rinker (way better than the 4.7L Durango did), but the PQ is 2000lbs heavier (7000lbs, dry, boat and trailer). The Avalanche is a 2010 with the 5.3 LS, but the idiot who initially bought it apparently wanted a highway queen, and obviously had connections that allowed them to order it with the tallest axle ratio GM offered, which, according to the owner's manual, wasn't even an option with their 4WD trucks. But I've run the VIN, and there it is. It did pretty good, as far as fuel milage, driving around, but towing was another story. It did OK on level highway, but it struggled with hills. Going up the "Cut in the Hill", I-75 southbound, south of the Ohio River (those that know, know, ya know?), is always a slog, with us trying to not get run over by the semis. Some of the hills between 75 and Cumberland are a similar story. We'd like to improve on this moving forward, while retaining capacity to park it in the garage.

We'd like to entertain the Expedition, but the EcoBoost V6 makes me nervous. So far, I've not found any of the elusive 400HP versions on the used market.

Our Avalanche is essentially a Suburban from the chassis down, so it's kind of a known quantity, and, as long as we can avoid finding another unicorn with too tall an axle ratio, I'm pretty sure we'd be fine with any of the Suburban clones with the 5.3 LS/LT option. I like the idea of the 6.2L, but haven't found any on the used market, other than the Caddy. Is there a real reason to sacrifice the fuel economy for any gains with the larger engine?

Any real-world experience with any of these options? Others?

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Last edited by Brad Christy; 03-20-2023 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2023, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 435 Likes on 209 Posts

New or Used?

Used: If you liked the Avalanche platform I would suggest finding one with an 8.1 and that should solve your towing concerns. I just parted ways with my 8.1 Avalanche and it was fine for towing my 12K pound load. But it was thirsty for oil and gas which was the penalty for a big block. But it should be fine fitting in just about all "car" sized garages.

New: Maybe a 1/2 ton GM with the diesel.
Old 03-20-2023, 05:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by techman
New or Used?

Used: If you liked the Avalanche platform I would suggest finding one with an 8.1 and that should solve your towing concerns. I just parted ways with my 8.1 Avalanche and it was fine for towing my 12K pound load. But it was thirsty for oil and gas which was the penalty for a big block. But it should be fine fitting in just about all "car" sized garages.

New: Maybe a 1/2 ton GM with the diesel.
Techman,

Don't think we're in the budgetary market for new. That said, my wife's neice recently bought a new Jeep for less than she could get used for, so we have to at least explore the option.

I'm assuming your Avalanche was one of the older ones, with the flat top fender skirts. I hated the Avalanche until they did away with that. The last year for the Avalanche was 2013 (I think), and we are looking for newer than that.

I have no doubt the 8.1 makes for a strong tow vehicle. But I doubt the wife is gonna stand for the fuel economy (or lack thereof).

The idea of a diesel is not out of the question, but it's not overly likely to happen. Again... This is the wife's daily driver, and the cost of fuel is ridiculous ATM.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991
Old 03-20-2023, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 1,329 Likes on 742 Posts

Why does the ECO boost ford worry you?

I have have several friends with them and the power is stunning.
The following users liked this post:
Mentalpause (07-20-2023)
Old 03-21-2023, 01:30 AM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

If you're looking at ecoboost Expeditions, only buy 2019 and newer. Just be aware of the possible VCT phaser issues in the future. 2018 models could develop/have major issues with the AC system so avoid them at all costs. From base model to platinum, all of the models have hitch receivers for towing from the factory.
Old 03-21-2023, 05:17 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 597 Likes on 275 Posts

Used Tahoe LTZ or Yukon Denali w 6.2 motor. I have had both- an 09 LTZ put 150k on it, and now a 19 Denali w 10 speed trans. already 90k miles - That 6.2 is a strong motor. 6.2s are Thirsty no matter what people say unless you have a light foot.
I haven't done a lot of towing with it as I have a LBZ 3500 and an F650 for the grunt work but It should do well for a smaller load.
We also have the 21 Explorer ST w 400 V6 in it for the wife. Very fast/ Fun driving ride. Not sure i would tow much with it but maybe the Expedition would have the vehicle weight/brakes to handle it.
Have heard some issues with newer body style 6.2s but cannot verify.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:06 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

Yep as Quinlan said the Yukon XL has the 6.0/6.2 options. Never seen a Tahoe with a 6.0 or the 6.2 And the only suburbans ive seen with the bigger motors are the 2500 platforms which are not that common either but they are out there....actually ive seen one Yukon XL on the 2500 platform too....not sure if they still make them but i know they were out there

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 03-21-2023, 07:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Wildman_grafix
Why does the ECO boost ford worry you?

I have have several friends with them and the power is stunning.
Wildman,

Mostly because I haven't seen that first 400HP version on the used market. The only ones I’m seeing are the lowest HP option Ford offered. It seems most people who bought them had no intentions of towing with them.

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Last edited by Brad Christy; 03-21-2023 at 07:53 PM.
Old 03-21-2023, 07:39 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 251 Likes on 126 Posts

I know you're limited on space but can share my experiences with newer gm trucks and engines...

had a 14, 15,17 pickup with 5.3's in them and they all towed my Nordic fairly well...added overload leafs as part of my normal lift/stiffen things up like I do on all trucks...down the highway it does shift and hunt for gears A LOT when towing

had a 19 sierra with a 6.2....ABSOLUTE BEAST!!! Would get another one in a heartbeat! Towed my boat like it was a golf cart...no excessive shifting and just raw power

currently have a 23 sierra with the 2.7 turbo 4 cylinder. Honestly....thing has plenty of power to pull my boat...falls off a little on the big end but torque up to 80 is honestly surprising. Was very skeptical about it because well it's a 4 cylinder in a half ton pickup but this little thing has shocked the sh!t out of me! Gas mileage is garbage for what it is but it's a turboed 4 cyl and I have a heavy foot lol

The woman has a 18 yukon with a 5.3 and although I haven't towed anything with it...it is a strong runner and other than the short wheelbase I'm sure would tow just fine. Plenty of power.

Just my experiences if it helps...happy hunting!
Old 03-21-2023, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 435 Likes on 209 Posts

The idea of a diesel is not out of the question, but it's not overly likely to happen. Again... This is the wife's daily driver, and the cost of fuel is ridiculous ATM.
My wife was the same mindset until we drove the current diesels. She said if it is loud and smells, no dice. We drove the Ram Cummins, I wanted a diesel, and she loved it. Quiet, comfy, no diesel smell at all, and 20 mpg for a 3/4 ton beast. No it won't fit in your garage, but the GM 1500 with the diesel just might. I would at least check on out, you both might be surprised.

​​​​​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.