Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
Velocitys That Are SuperCharged >

Velocitys That Are SuperCharged

Notices

Velocitys That Are SuperCharged

Old 04-18-2001, 02:59 PM
MadDog

Default Velocitys That Are SuperCharged

I just wanted to throw this out thier and se what you think.... I have a 280 2000, I plan on adding a Whipple Superchager, and doing lighning headers, and obviously haveing the ECU reprogrammed. I was told @ 5200 rpm I should be at at least 600hp, maybe 650hp..
I running at 4800 doing 71mph, from GPS
What prop should I go with?

Be safe and GO FAST!!!!!!

Old 04-19-2001, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 315 Likes on 172 Posts

Sounds like a great project! Let us know how it turns out. I have a 280 also and I am very interested in the results. For prop advise I would check with the guys at Hydromotive at 330 425 4266. They are very knowledgeable about performance and Velocitys. Great people and have always been willing to talk high performance.

Padraig
Old 04-23-2001, 10:11 PM
wilerty

MadDog: I have a 2000 Velocity 280 with a Whipplecharged 502Mag. The installation was done last September and only got to use it a few times in pretty rough weather. Because of how rough it was I only felt comfortable up to 80MPH GPS at 4800 RPM and it was still pulling strong. I think I'll hit about 85. I started with a Hydromotive but it was way to easy to break loose. I now have a non-lab finished Bravo 1 30". Whipple now reprograms both ECUs when you buy the package. I sent mine back to Dustin over the winter and had them redone and the limiter put up to 5450RPM. I should be back in the water in the next couple of weeks.

I assume you have full hydraulic steering. I also installed an offshore water pickup and strainer to be sure I get enough water.

Believe it or not ... I am considering changing out the pully to go to 4lbs of boost rather than 6lbs. I will probably still go 80 ... with a lot less stress on the bravo 1 drive, engine, and I can run 89 octane fuel.

Good luck ...

Old 05-01-2001, 10:50 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For reference, on my 1994 Summer Squall I'm spinning a blueprinted 27" QIV to 5600 RPM with a normally aspirated 509. Probably 80 to 85 given the right conditions.

I thought about a blower but geez, nobody'll ride in the boat now, any faster and I won't want to...
Old 05-18-2002, 02:36 AM
MadDog

Well hello eveyone sorry it has taken awhile to reply,,,,But everything has gone great with the whipple super charger...I went with AZ (jim), I am doing a strong 79 on a full tank of gas...I am right now installing Gauges to see what I am doing...I have gone to Tyler Crocket here in Michigan,,,but he is very busy,,,but when i do get the numbers this summer then i will decide what to do,,,like diff cyclinder heads, Crank, Valves......I was haveing trouble with getting on plane,,alot of torque,,,26 pitch was not good,,,went to a 29 pitch able to get on plane but robbed on topend,,,I call Hydroautomotive,,,they told me to spin the engine fast and go back90 to the 26 pitch.....so I am adding nose cone,,,and trimming up my water pick up for the intercooler...I put the water pick up on the back of the pad,,,,that is not a good Idea because in my opinion it diverts water from the prop,,,I belive you want as much bite as you can get........but now I am committed,,,I would put the water pick up on the back of the transom,,,reason I thought is not enough water getting to it,,plus I did not want it to be so visivble that I have a superchager...

Next project: after get numbers this summer, increase boost,burn ECU maybe myself, also Alumin. Cyl Heads and valves, external Steering,,,next year 2003 should be 90 or more

PS go fast and be safe
MadDog

Old 05-18-2002, 09:47 AM
wilerty

MadDog: Try a Bravo 1 30" or 28" ... you'll be glad you did. I was VERY unhappy with the Hydromotive ... no bite at all. Forget the nosecone, get a Bravo 1!! I can't remember exactly where my water pickup is but I'll let you know tomorrow.

Good luck.

Old 05-22-2002, 06:12 AM
Off the Radar
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whipple Charger

MAD Dog. A blower will make a world of difference on this boat. I took a 502, put flat top pistons and made a 509. I installed a Lunati medium sized hydralic roller cam, installed severe duty intake, inconnel exhaust valves and a 420 blower with 2 750 carbs. With 3 lbs of boost it ran mid 80's. I stepped the boost up to 6 lbs and now it runs mid 90's. Getting it to set on the pad is a little challenging. I am turing a 30 bravo 5600 to 5700 before I let off it. The 420 allows a lot of power at a good blower drive ratio. Make sure you give a blower a lot of gas. I went up 8 jet sizes in the front and 10 in the rear to get the plugs reading right. I ran it lean on the first go and it got real ugly. Good Luck
Attached Thumbnails Velocitys That Are SuperCharged-510-motor-3.jpg