1980 30' Velocity - Redo in progress >

1980 30' Velocity - Redo in progress

Notices

1980 30' Velocity - Redo in progress

Old 01-10-2007, 12:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Re: 1980 30' Velocity - Redo in progress

cool!...looks like you found yourself a piece, ttrm007....

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Well, I'm glad I poked my head in here when I did!

The boat's VIN is VMX32056080H

Tha boat was originally purchased from Velocity by Jessop (Jay) Smith and was raced as "Putt-Putt" to a national championship. When he replaced the boat a few years later with a 34 Cobra, the boat went briefly to a body shop owner in Eastlake by the name of John Grbovac. John changed the name to "Serious" and did a cheapo paint job on it. I bought it as a project. Basically the motors ran briefly and when disassembled they were absolute garbage. The drives were in pretty good shape but they were totally redone. The boat was stripped to the gel and repainted with Amerflint- the toughest and hardest-to-apply paint known to man. The "Serious" graphic was redone by a local artist. Literally everything on the boat was redone. I'm guessing the rubrail screws and all external hardware are still hex-head.

I still have the bow tank from it sitting behind my shop- if you want it... I'm guessing it still has the giant Wolverine trim tabs?

At one point, the boat had a pair of destroked BBC turbo motors in it with Banks intercoolers- about 600 HP each. I had it to 113 mph and had 800 rpm left- too fast for me. The boat finally ended up with 355ci small blocks w/ tunnel rams. It went via a broker who was a velocity dealer at the time in one of the far-west Cleveland suburbs up on the lake.

The boat ran 75 with the 370 horse motors it had in it when it went. The only way to get big blocks in on those centers is to use Mercruiser manifolds. It really is a small-block boat.

I sold it in the summer of 1989, right before my son was born. I still have the original title.

P.S. That is the original dash location.

Here's the original Putt-Putt on its way out to the racecourse-

Old 01-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: 1980 30' Velocity - Redo in progress

After talking to Chris tonight, I have a lot more of an understanding of what we have here to work with. I'm excited and appreciate all the info everyone has provides so far. Will keep you posted with progress though its likely to be a slow go with other priorities (?).
Old 03-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Registered

Moving slow but having fun. Bought some nice throttle and shift controls, seat frames, etc... basically collecting parts right now. Still interested in getting into some nice 383's. I'm looking at a firm that has an EBAY store that seems to build some nice small blocks. Take a look. I'm always hesitant and haven't yet done my due dilligence but the power, parts, and price seem pretty attractive.

I'm also working on some seating. I have some great Aero bases from a Baja but still have questions. Take a look at the Baja forum to see what I'm after if interested.:
Old 03-21-2007, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flagship Marine in FL builds some stout small blocks..check with them...
Old 03-21-2007, 06:16 PM
Registered

Great - Thanks for the tip Bodyshot. I'll do some surfing tonight to see what I can find.
Old 09-28-2012, 07:22 PM
Registered

Default Back from the dead....

Getting started again. The Still Crazy thread REALLY motivated me. Can I ever get her done?
Old 09-28-2012, 07:53 PM
Registered

Default Action Steps - Need to keep moving

1. Put hatch in. This will need to have some creature comforts if my family is gonna buy in!
2. Bought trailer tires so I can get it out of the garage. They were seriously dry rotted.
3. Bought shorepower, air conditioner. What?! Yeah... if there are over-night options, need air. Have to do it before the rest of the interior.
4. Engaged a glass guy to fix my flaking gelcoat near transom step. After inspection, it appears there was a filler panel of sorts added to make space to bolt on the huge wolverine tabs. Headed to his shop for this repair and dash / controls location work along with a bulkhead in cabin area.
5. Started relocation of controls and opening cabin.
6. Old engine was about 800lbs and not too great shape. Going to build an all aluminum unit with scoops.

This is an OLD picture. The seats were rotted and vinyl messed up. Moving to two bolsters.

Old 09-29-2012, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ttrm007
Getting started again. The Still Crazy thread REALLY motivated me. Can I ever get her done?
I have a thread in the formula section detailing my 86 272ls rebuild over the past 10 months. Sort by views or post and it is on the first page. I have done a "few" things like some new vinyl, refinished vinyl, new trim, bulkheads, stringers, motors, paint bilge, transom assemblies, drives, electrical, gauges, interior still ongoing...... Etc.

Have big plans again for the next round this winter now that it is running and that has remotivated me.

Keep at it, you can do it.

Brian
Old 09-29-2012, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ttrm007
Great to see you working on the boat!! Keep pushing to get her back on the water. We'd love to run around with another old 30 some day. Make little goals and just keep chipping away. Every step is one step closer to being on the water!
Old 10-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Registered

Default Dash and Cockpit work

Thanks to TEAMBAJA on this board, I am fitting the helm with this 399 Skater dash section. Would love to find the other side!

Before:

After:

Last edited by ttrm007; 10-02-2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: Fixed picture links

Quick Reply: 1980 30' Velocity - Redo in progress

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.