Fuel gauge wouldn't work

Notices

Fuel gauge wouldn't work

Old 03-29-2008, 11:20 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel gauge wouldn't work

Fuel gauge wouldn't work, after trouble shooting I found the problem and it only took $350.00 to get it to show full. The problem was no gas in the tank. VV's ready to go!
Old 03-29-2008, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Things that make you go HMMMMMMMMMMMMM.VV are you going to, make our V run as well as the Lake Norman run.I hope so.;
Old 03-30-2008, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I knew this thread would catch your attention Hyper!!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:27 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 1HYPER1
Things that make you go HMMMMMMMMMMMMM.VV are you going to, make our V run as well as the Lake Norman run.I hope so.;
I'm looking hard at it Hyper, I'm hoping to make at least one.

Need a little help here, 496 HO closed cooling, I installed water pressure gauges and they have machinical sender, you know the plastic tubing to the gauge. I installed it on the motor and don't get a reading on the gauge while the engine is running with water hose attached and engine at operating temp. Have I got it installed wrong? Do you have to bleed the line to the gauge? I installed the plastic tubing on the front starboard side of the engine below the heat exchanger. I was told to install it on the back of the engine on the oil cooler but my cooler has no place to mount anything, it just has 2 oil lines and a in and out water line. I was told to remove the sender from the oil cooler and install a T. There is a sender back there but it is on the manifold not the oil cooler. On the diagram below I installed the tubing to #6 plug. See red arrow.

Or should I install it here?

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_...COOLING+SYSTEM

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 03-30-2008 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:42 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by DKerns
I knew this thread would catch your attention Hyper!!
Tell us more!
Old 03-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

You are not likley to get a lot of pressure on a hose. On my last Fountain the water pressure gauges were hooked in at one of the drain plugs in the block itself, but it was not a closed system like the 496. The new boat has 525's which are closed cooling, I'll be working on it today and will take a look.

I would not bleed the air out of the line. On the last one I would actually disconnect it at the gauge and blow it out when I was winterizing at the end of the season.

You could have just called Hyper, he has the fuel gauge deal all figured out, so I hear. It will read empty when there is little or no fuel in the tank, shortly after it gets to empty mark the engines, for some reason, will no longer run. I understand he's run this experiment several times and has established the fact that it is correct.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
Tell us more!
I have seen him "drifting" in Eastern Bay before. The best part was the look on his face when the sailboat passed him!!! Ok, it sounded good anyway!!
Old 03-30-2008, 08:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
You could have just called Hyper, he has the fuel gauge deal all figured out, so I hear. It will read empty when there is little or no fuel in the tank, shortly after it gets to empty mark the engines, for some reason, will no longer run. I understand he's run this experiment several times and has established the fact that it is correct.
That is the most politically correct way of saying he run out of gas!!!
Old 03-30-2008, 12:58 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

I took the sensor out on the black arrow diagram, put a tee there and installed the sensor back in then connected the plastic hose there. I figure if the pressure smartcraft is in the same location I should be good

Thanks a lot, how come nobody told me the back seat folded down? I figured it out when I fell my fat a$$ between the seat and engines, something had to give and it wasn't the engine.

This should give you a good laugh< After installing the gauges I went to turn the ignition switches on. Well they wouldn't turn, Remember these are brand new switches and worked fine before I installed them. I thought I must have tightened them up to much and screwed them up or something. Wife and I went to the parts store, I was going to by 2 new ignition switches, When we got inside the store and the dude found the switches I needed, The wife asked me, "Huney did you try to switch key's on the switches"? At that point I felt like that little piss ant pulling that big old frieght train. Then she told the dude that waited on us, "See what I have to put up with"! Hey that's my line I told her.

Only reason I am telling you this is because you guy's don't know anyone here in town that I know. VV
Hyper you feel better now?

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 03-30-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-30-2008, 06:51 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Hey VV,

I checked the water pressure deal out today on mine, the hoses for the gauges go into a fitting in the block one of the drain plug holes.

Quick Reply: Fuel gauge wouldn't work

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.