Changes Needed to go racing. >

Changes Needed to go racing.

Notices

Changes Needed to go racing.

Old 03-03-2009, 03:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Changes Needed to go racing.

1996 260, I'd like to know what types of Bracing or reinforcing I would need to go offshore powerboat racing. Currently have the hull mostly stripped inside and out. Having trouble on finding alot about prepping a Velocity to go racing with it. I currently don't have have Trim Tabs, which it is a must. Any help would really be appreciated.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

to go racing some stuff for the boat are kill switches for each person , and if your boat cleats are not pop up you can use padding on them , vhf radio ,and the rest is pretty basic coast guard stuff I think .External steering might be required and trim tabs are a good idea . You will also need orange helmets and lifeline type jackets for your occupants ,and some Good Luck .

Last edited by notda1; 03-03-2009 at 04:25 PM.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:19 PM
Registered

Ya might wanna brace your bank account!!
Old 03-04-2009, 11:13 AM
Registered

All of safety equipment listed is pretty much a given, I was really looking along the lines of extra fiber glassing and reinforcing structure strength. To see what exactly needed to be added to the Hull to help it withstand the beating in the ocean at speed.
Old 03-04-2009, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wet_rat
why not call Steve Stepp--I think he knows something about racing Velocity's--I think he would love to know one of his boats is considering entering the circuit.

Originally Posted by speeddemon651
All of safety equipment listed is pretty much a given, I was really looking along the lines of extra fiber glassing and reinforcing structure strength. To see what exactly needed to be added to the Hull to help it withstand the beating in the ocean at speed.
I would call Steve Stepp like mentioned above!!
Old 03-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Start with some really deep pockets because the bracket classes anymore seem to be who can out spend the other guy.Racing is hard on your body and boat but most of all hard on your wallet.Have fun and be safe if you do it.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:32 PM
Registered

The trick is to drop way down in class so you can run at the top of the bracket without beating up your boat to bad .
Old 03-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Registered

I felt that way about the bracket type racing when they first started it. But seems that's they way a lot of people do it so their boats have a better chance of not breaking stuff and lasting the season . Now it seems to be more about staying on your mph with your gps with out going over and proper navigation , then it is top speed . I didn't like P class when it first started , but it's growing on me .