trim tabs for a 260 >

trim tabs for a 260

Notices

trim tabs for a 260

Old 01-22-2010, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trim tabs for a 260

i am thinking about buying a set of used emi tabs posted on here, i got a 2000 260, the tabs are 24 inches long, do you guys think they are to long for my boat? he has them posted in the swap shop
Old 01-22-2010, 08:18 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Different length tabs are designed for different length boats. A long tab in a short boat are fine if you learn to use them in very short increments, stabbing one tab deep can cause a big lean to one side the faster you are going the worst it will be. When in reverse make sure they are in up position or it will make you go quirky. Also a long tab can cause a trip on a perfect wave and help to stuff your boat. I think a 280 K-plane is 18" and the EMI is 24" so I think you will be fine with those. Just use them wisely and like I said short increments. Get on plane get the boat level at moderate speed and leave them alone on a fast blast. If you need to adjust them slow down then adjust and try it again on a blast. Mark both your K- Plane indicators with a sharpy with planes in the straight level position before you head out no matter what the indicator is reading 3 on one or 6 on the other so you will know the level position.

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 01-22-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:04 PM
Registered

I have the same tabs on my 260 and their great made all the difference in the world. Good advice from VV, they definitely move the boat well and quickly with minimal input.
Don't know if yours has it but my 260 tends to list to port and the tabs straightened that out (usually have to drag port tab slghtly)
Old 01-22-2010, 08:57 PM
Registered

back in '04 I put a set of dana HP1000's on my 260.. 24 inchs long.. best upgrade I did (and I have done many). Almost take them for granted..
listen to VV though.. they work wonderful.. but you need to play around with some seat time and have respect for what they do.. and never touch them at high speeds..

Joe:: mine also has a list to port.. never able to get it out.. even with bats on other side.. seems to even out at higher speeds though..
Old 01-22-2010, 09:11 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I changed my Dana 900's to the 1000's as well. Made a big difference in the handling in rough water. Just need to take time and get used to the longer tabs handling characteristics. I think they were an improvement on a short boat.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:36 AM
Registered

Now my next question, the placement of the tabs. I have seen guys mount them flat looks like trey are in line with the bottom pad, and the most common are on the angle, can you guys tell me the differance between the two mounting positions?
Old 01-23-2010, 12:47 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The factory sets them 1" above and the same angle as the boats bottom, RaggedEdge says Big K tabs mounted Flat is the ticket!!!

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 01-23-2010 at 12:49 PM.