22 velocity setup? >

22 velocity setup?

Notices

22 velocity setup?

Old 03-08-2010, 05:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 22 velocity setup?

Our new to us 1998 Steve Stepp Velocity 22 with 2008 optimax 225 just arrived.I decided to take it out just as it arrived minus only the dirt from the trip across the the country.First trip went fantastic,motor runs very strong only has 10hrs.We had a allison prior to this,but needed a family boat.So I knew we werent looking to be running real fast with this boat.The handling in ruff was great.I was a bit disapointed in the speed as it arrived. It ran 57.7 gps at the limiter of 5800 spinning a 23p Mercury 4-blade offshore and full tank.Today I changed only the prop to a 25 trophy plus and ran 67.7 gps at just bumping the limiter.I cannot believe how poorly the orginal prop ran.The motor is mouted as low as it can go with no jackplate.I plan on installing a 6" hydraulic jackplate as well as a Simon Ecu and flywheel.Has anyone ever tried running one of the hulls without a plate and maybe just bringing it up a couple holes and leave it mounted on the transom?I think with a increased limiter,flywheel and setback low 70s should be possible.I had origanly planned on buying a 300xs,but this opti burns so little fuel im not sure I want to do that.Any ideas or comments?Thanks Aaron
Old 03-09-2010, 08:56 AM
Platinum Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronmt
Our new to us 1998 Steve Stepp Velocity 22 with 2008 optimax 225 just arrived.I decided to take it out just as it arrived minus only the dirt from the trip across the the country.First trip went fantastic,motor runs very strong only has 10hrs.We had a allison prior to this,but needed a family boat.So I knew we werent looking to be running real fast with this boat.The handling in ruff was great.I was a bit disapointed in the speed as it arrived. It ran 57.7 gps at the limiter of 5800 spinning a 23p Mercury 4-blade offshore and full tank.Today I changed only the prop to a 25 trophy plus and ran 67.7 gps at just bumping the limiter.I cannot believe how poorly the orginal prop ran.The motor is mouted as low as it can go with no jackplate.I plan on installing a 6" hydraulic jackplate as well as a Simon Ecu and flywheel.Has anyone ever tried running one of the hulls without a plate and maybe just bringing it up a couple holes and leave it mounted on the transom?I think with a increased limiter,flywheel and setback low 70s should be possible.I had origanly planned on buying a 300xs,but this opti burns so little fuel im not sure I want to do that.Any ideas or comments?Thanks Aaron
Aaron, Welcome to the VELOCITY world. I also, 25-30 years ago, went from ALLISONS to VELOCITYS. First- 22' outboard, V-8 Powered, #2- 26' powered by 2 V-8s, #3- 41 powered by 2- 600" SVO FORDS. You will enjoy your 22. Sounds like your getting it dialed in. Bob machine shop builds the best jack plate for these boats, IMO. If it dosen't have tabs, you should consider installing them. The longer the better. Foot throddle, and trim buttons on the wheel. I installed my jack plate buttons in the kick panel on the floor. All this was done so you can have 2 hands on the wheel. Good luck and be safe Bob