500efi to engine builder >

500efi to engine builder

Notices

500efi to engine builder

Old 02-13-2011, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 500efi to engine builder

well i dropped my 500efi of at a local engine shop yesterday. It was still running well but having about 350 or so hours i fugured i better have the heads freshened up before i drop a valve. when i pulled the upper intake it had a lil bit of oil in it. I am hopping to have the heads done, maybe new main bearing and new rings. hopping not to have to do a full rebuild.
Old 02-14-2011, 09:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that the first time you/ve touched the engine? If so, I'm curious to know how the valvetrain looks at this point.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered

ya first time, it looks great to me but i dont know what to look for. ill let you know what the engine guru tells me
Old 02-17-2011, 09:10 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At 350hours, the top end should be done as a min.
Valve job, new spring, roller lifters, roller rockers, and timing set. The cam should be OK but pull it out for a look see.
If you do the bottom end it should only need rings, bearings, and maybe an oil pump.
My 502 has over 800 hard hours with what I described above at 500 hours. Knock on wood, she was running strong when I put her away last November.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:31 PM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well it's like this you think your going to just change the rings and hone the blocks a little but then number 7 is scared so bad you have to bore 30 over and buy all new pistons and rings. Then you say, "Well just do a maintenance valve job and find out the head is warped and you buy new heads. By the time you get all that done you notice the drive is leaking oil on the ground and two trailer tires are flat. You look up and the wife is standing there tapping her foot, saying "I told you not to buy a boat" See I told ya, you just don't listen do you! When are you going to take me dancing? If there is anything left on the credit card after you get that damn boat fixed I need to buy some new clothes for the kids. How much have you spent on that damn boat anyway? I told you a boat is a hole in the water which you keep throwing money into. I hope you learned your lesson on buying a boat, this won't ever happen again your boat buying days are over. Go on go to sleep I dare you to! I'll wrap you up in the sheets and have you beat half to death before you wake up. I'm calling your mother right now and tell her just how stupid her son is. It's your turn to cook too so get this sh!t picked up and get in the house. You spend more time with this damn boat than you ever spent with me! Lord why did I marry this guy why?
Old 02-18-2011, 06:38 AM
I'm with nobody
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
Well it's like this you think your going to just change the rings and hone the blocks a little but then number 7 is scared so bad you have to bore 30 over and buy all new pistons and rings. Then you say, "Well just do a maintenance valve job and find out the head is warped and you buy new heads. By the time you get all that done you notice the drive is leaking oil on the ground and two trailer tires are flat. You look up and the wife is standing there tapping her foot, saying "I told you not to buy a boat" See I told ya, you just don't listen do you! When are you going to take me dancing? If there is anything left on the credit card after you get that damn boat fixed I need to buy some new clothes for the kids. How much have you spent on that damn boat anyway? I told you a boat is a hole in the water which you keep throwing money into. I hope you learned your lesson on buying a boat, this won't ever happen again your boat buying days are over. Go on go to sleep I dare you to! I'll wrap you up in the sheets and have you beat half to death before you wake up. I'm calling your mother right now and tell her just how stupid her son is. It's your turn to cook too so get this sh!t picked up and get in the house. You spend more time with this damn boat than you ever spent with me! Lord why did I marry this guy why?

LMAO!!!!!!!
Old 02-18-2011, 07:35 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't be surprised if they call you and tell you the heads are cracked between the valves.
When you order new heads,you might as well go aluminum and have them true the motor to 9 to 1 for a little extra squeeze. Put 1.8 instead of 1.7 rocker arms on ( a little more squeeze ) because you should replace those too.

Mine made 570 hp after the "freshening".
Old 02-18-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
Thats' why I don't own one! 44 years and never met one that I thought I couldn't live without. Now I just rent borrow or steal one on occasion. Good luck on the cat. Sparky is my neighbor and we have talked about your hull many times. you will enjoy it1 Bob
Old 02-18-2011, 09:32 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Bob, I have heard nothing but good about the Hull. Sparky has helped explain a few thing to me. He is very sharp. And your smart for renting tail.

A guy asked me the other day what he should do before buying a boat.

I was quick to reply, "Fist things first. First get a divorce before you buy a boat so she won't get half your boat later when you get a divorce!

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 02-18-2011 at 09:35 AM.
Old 02-18-2011, 06:06 PM
Registered

wow, well im not married(yet, got till august), no kids, and she knows what she is gettin into. As for the heads, that would not be the worse think that could happen. did you have your ecm reflashed? i would be almost sure it would be need to be done with new heads. all i know is i hope he hurries up!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.