Regal Question >

Regal Question

Notices

Regal Question

Old 08-19-2011, 04:03 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Regal Question

I understand the timeline of the sale of Velocity to Regal, but what is the difference between say a 1988/89 30' Regal Velocity and the earlier ones?
Do they still have the pad and step transom?
Is the quality lesser?
Are they still capable of similar speeds and handling with similar power?

I'm fairly new to the Velocity scene and I'm searching for a 30' but I need some education here before I get to much further in my search. And I just read the whole post on Still Crazy, which is simply amazing! So I'm a little fired up right now.

Thanks
Bill
Old 08-19-2011, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I " believe" it is the same hull. However..... best bet is to talk to Steve Stepp.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

The 22' Regal Velocity and 30' Regal Velocity share the same molds as the Steve Stepp Velocitys. The 230 Regal Velocity shared the 22' hull mold but had a Regal designed Euro topdeck with molded swim platform and higher freeboard. As far as the lamination schedules..in the beginning Steve was on board with Regal. I'm not sure if lamination schedule changes were made but..from what I've been told, Steve Stepp left Regal because he wasn't satisfied with their quality. I did own a 1988 230 Regal Velocity and to this day it was one of my favorite boats!!
Old 08-21-2011, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I think Regal had some of the 30's made by Malestrom mfg and one other that I can't remember right now . Mold didn't change . Most people think Steve's were better , I think he takes a lot of pride in his work .

Last edited by notda1; 08-21-2011 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I talked to Steve way back when I bought my Regal/Velocity 23. He had already parted ways with Regal but was a class act about it. Told me that I would like the boat but they (Regal) had let it get too heavy and cheapened the wiring. Sure enough I had trouble with the wiring. Not enough support and no slack. Lost my trim in the middle of Georgian bay on a nasty day.

That was the only trouble I had, loved the boat.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

So were there ever issues with delamination on th Regal boats? Specifically the 30' model.
Thank you for all of your responses.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Never heard of any but clearly ~20 years of use with the potential of owner neglect during that time can change the equation.