Props - In or Out???

Notices

Props - In or Out???

Old 10-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Props - In or Out???

Got the new boat last week, and will be playing with props and setup thru the winter.

The new boat is a 1990, 30' w/ a set of MPI 502's. Currently the boat is turning a set of 26" Quad IV's "in". With 4 people, 3/4 fuel and about a foot chop it ran 74 at 5200...I believe 28's are really what it needs, but the question is...should they turn in or out?

Steve told me "in" is faster...what's everyone else's experience?

Dockside manners don't seem to be too bad...I was able to spin it and back into a slip last weekend with a pretty good wind blowing.

How do Bravo's run on these 30's? I have an opportunity to try a set of labbed 28's...
Old 10-21-2011, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

1. Word of advice - Steve knows best! Go with it.

2. The only time to them spin out is when the hull gets too loose at high speed which won't be a problem given your power set-up.

3. Bravo's vs. Hydro is a personal choice but most guys run Hydros on 30's/32's as they are a little faster. The labbed 28 Bravos will spin more RPM's then your 26 Hydro's. Try 27 or 28 Hydros or 30 Bravos.

4. You may be on your rev limiter - as I recall it's around 5,150 for 502 MPI's.
Old 10-21-2011, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In and run hydros. I have a set of 29s for sale
Old 10-21-2011, 05:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Velocity Tom
In and get blowers. Mine handles like a turd in a blender spinning in at the dock. Everyone at the dock always comes running, some even throw there grand babies between my boat and the dock so I don't scratch the paint. Gotta love boaters
Old 10-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Registered

1600 hp and almost 100 mph. what's up?
I don't have a issue with my 390,s or the 41,s. Now the stg. boat,s suck let me tell ya. you have a little current and man what a *****.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:26 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Velocity Tom
Are they big or small shaft?

Are nose cones needed on the older Bravos...or should I say, at what speed do they become necessary? My last one, we had hydromotive cones on it...boat was only a 75 mph boat...
Old 10-23-2011, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

On my 30 I have bravo xr's with imco lowers turning hydromotive 15.5x31's in. Yesterday at the OFF event in Indiantown we ran 86 with six people in the boat and 60 gallons of gas. Could have trimmed up more on the tabs and drives for a little more speed, got to 5000rpm. Boat has stock HP500's.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

There was another 89 velocity at the event and he had his props turning out. Said he lost a couple miles per hour but it was much less prone to chinewalking at the top end. I think it's because it never really gets high on the pad now.

As far as docking, I have no problems with mine turning in, but have no experience with a boat that has them turning out.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

I have -2 IMCO lowers so it's all different I guess but, It is a whole different boat spinning in. It comes way out of the water on the pad and tries to bounce from prop to prop chine walking. I have to run newtral trim or less to even drive it.

Turning out I call it "Caddilac mode" I can trim to the moon with little effect and docking and spinning the boat is a breeze. Much easier to drive but slower as it sucks the stern down.

Turning in with lots of fuel/people is no problem and is better than out. Running light and fast is a handfull. After 6yrs I guess I still don't know how to drive it

Yesterday at the OFF event we had the mufflers shut and props out. We knew we wern't going to impress any of those guys no matter what we ran.

Great meeting Still Crazy. Your boat looks awsome! Great work! You are the main reason we wanted to come down.
Old 10-23-2011, 06:00 PM
instigator
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Underdog88
Yesterday at the OFF event we had the mufflers shut and props out. We knew we wern't going to impress any of those guys no matter what we ran.
I watched you yesterday... impressed me...... flat and logical attitude... and the bow candy was awesome too

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.