Notices

Velocity?

Old 03-06-2013, 08:05 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Velocity?

Hey everyone,

I've been lurking for a while, trying absorb as much as I can, and the time has finally come to ask a question to the experts. Why did you guys pick Velocity over Baja, Donzi, Fountain, etc...? and if you got rid of your Velocity, why? Thanks for any info you can give!
Old 03-06-2013, 08:17 AM
Registered

Being a newbie with real high performance boats, the lack of steps in the bottom for safety yet the performance of the boat was a big seller to me. I also like the fact the factory is 3 hours away, and the customer service is exceptional. I researched on here for quite awhile before making my decision, and I could not be happier with the boat or the brand!
Old 03-06-2013, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have only owned my velocity for a few months, but I've had to call the factory a couple times for questions about the boat and got to talk to Steve or Kenny every time I called and there went above and beyond to answer my questions as though I bought the boat from them new. Excellent customer service!!

The main reason I was looking at velocity is because I wanted to go fast and still keep a single engine boat. My previous boat was a 235 Baja and it was slow (63 mph). According to Steve and other velocity owners I've talked with, my new 575-600 hp motor should push the boat to mid 80's. The boat went 71-72 with the stock 415hp motor. I also like the look of the boat. Some say other wise, but I think the flat deck looks great!!!

Good luck
Old 03-06-2013, 09:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I saw my first Velocity 22 over 25 years ago and I really liked the design along with the relatively deep cockpit. I later looked into Velocity’s history, and visited the factory in 1992. I have had excellent experiences dealing with Steve and his staff and I have only considered owning a Velocity. I am now on my third model, a 290 SC and I don't think you will be disappointed if you decide to purchase a Velocity.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Default Velocity

Even though I dont own one currently, I can tell you why Im planning on one for my next boat.

1 - Fast single engine up to 29ft...
Alot of people are huge fans of twins - But for me twins just mean more cost to maintain. I boat in a lake where you can see land, so piece of mind of twins isnt a necessity for me.

2 - Safe. Its generally accepted that the hull handles well and is predictable and safe (not saying some ahole cant wreck one)

3 - Same as any other vhull to insure, wanted a cat for a min... but only a min because it would be over $3500/yr for me to insure one.

4 - They do look unique, I like it, some dont. But, it is different.

Im waiting for the perfect 29sc with a blue motor to come up, Ill be waiting a while.

Last edited by flysfloatsor; 03-06-2013 at 11:13 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts

I was a long time owner of 2 Velocity's over the years , loved them both . The people at the factory and fellow owners are a great group , like a big happy family .
Old 03-06-2013, 12:00 PM
bwd
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I origonally bought mine because it had attitude and it had some breeding. The older ones have a different look. I felt like it was alot of boat for 30'. I looked at a 39 a couple years back but it just didn't fit what I wanted.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by shrike
Hey everyone,

I've been lurking for a while, trying absorb as much as I can, and the time has finally come to ask a question to the experts. Why did you guys pick Velocity over Baja, Donzi, Fountain, etc...? and if you got rid of your Velocity, why? Thanks for any info you can give!
Certainly the accessibility of Steve Stepp and service Kenny provides are key. The boats reflect Steve's design goals and personality with a purposeful, fast, hard charging character. Consequently Velocities have enjoyed a brand mystique for those that value those traits. Of the boats mentioned, Velocity is the only one today which is run by the original designer/owner and has never been forced onto the auction block. In that respect it's a shame that Reggie lost Fountain as Steve and he, although competitors, had much mutual respect. While everyone has their likes and dislikes with specific boat brands, most consider Velocity, the Company, to have very few peers in the performance boat industry. Just ask around.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:33 PM
Gold Member

A friend I boat with all the time has a 2003 280 for sale. Single 496 ho and the boat is flawless, was on boat trader if you are interested. Now my opinion. I hated my sonic and was always kicking myself for buying it and not a faster boat. My buddies velocity smoked the pants off of my boat with the same exact drivetrain and he always kept up with the big boys. The cockpit is deep and there styling is nice. People say they don't have nice cabins, I felt it was enough for an overnight stay. Buyers remorse is a mother trucker so don't do what I did. Velocity is a fine choice imo.
Old 03-06-2013, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I bought a 1998 280 in 2009 with 50 hours on it. I have painted it, recovered the seats and rebuilt the motor and I love it. It goes 90 with 4 adults, gets 3mpg at 60 and handles 2 1/2 footers on Lake Huron very well. My wife and I have stayed overnight at Mackinac Island comfortably. My next boat will definitely be a Velocity. Also Kenny and Steve are extremely helpful. Kenny, if you are listening, I just bought 2 more lots so I can build a bigger garage for a 39!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.