Hardin Marine 496 stainless water pump? >

Hardin Marine 496 stainless water pump?

Notices

Hardin Marine 496 stainless water pump?

Old 05-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VELOCITYBOY
Redhook, Did your 260 come with a water pressure gauge installed in dash or did you add one? I would like to add one to my dash were the trim gauge was.
I bought a used Smartcraft System Monitor (the small square one) and hooked it up. It tells me engine hours, RPM, amount of fuel used, GPH, water temp, trim settings, fuel level, water pump PSI, etc. Best $200 I spent on the boat so far, and simple installation.

The trim settings and fuel levels will only work if you have the Smartcraft sensors installed though. I do not have those installed.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:08 PM
Registered

I have a new VR1 (2002) with a 2004 496 HO. The engine started overheating when I left the dock last week. Temp got up to 190 with a hard alarm. Went back to the dock, after 30 minutes started the engine and ran about 160 for awhile, brought it up on plane and the temp started heading towards 190, headed back to the dock. The engine never went above 190. I've recently had the impeller replaced and was curious if the thermostat may be sticking. Any thoughts....
Old 05-14-2013, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a thermostat stick on my HO. It's easy to check. Just pull it out and put it in a pot of water on the stove. Using a cooking thermometer, watch to see if it opens around 160°.
Old 05-14-2013, 03:04 PM
Registered

Default 496 running hot

Attempting to do that now, purchased a SELOC Service manual. Not quite as easy as a car thermostat. You have to remove the Heat Exchanger, but I cant figure out how to loosen the retaining bands that hold the heat exchanger to the crossover. Thanks for the reply.