Test ran the new Raylar goodies

Notices

Test ran the new Raylar goodies

Old 01-27-2018, 06:56 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ
Installed a Raylar 80mm Cool Gap intake along with 1.7 stainless rockers. Reassembled enough to test fire. Still have some wiring and minor adjustments to make. Can't decide to use the stock 75mm tb or upgrade to Raylar's 80mm Accufab tb. TPS and IAC counts look good with.no adjustment. The high pitched whistle when revving is new. Sounded similar to belt squeal but definately coming from the intake. Not really looking for any power or speed gains until I get rid of the stock heads/cam. While apart had the fuel injectors cleaned and flow tested by BUP. Well worth every penny! Also disassembled and stripped all internal paint from the Merc gen 3 cool fuel module. No more problems there. Looks much better I must say..

https://youtu.be/4qeKaiNKAlA
LOOKS like everyone still has to quote the youtube links. Why can they not fix this up here. Jeezzzzzzzzzz
Old 01-27-2018, 10:35 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by BUP
What did you end up doing to your GEN 3 cool fuel internally to it stripping all the paint out ? Be careful what was used cause of the fuel pumps connections and wiring.

And thanks for the good words in POST # 1.

Also keep in mind those GEN 3 cool fuel assemblies can have up to 3 fuel filters. 2 min fuel filters is the norm but there is 3 in many as well. They need to be changed out once per year min. Best at the start of every boating season.

Also make sure you have the newest basket fuel filter kit. It comes with 2 o rings. The older kit only provided 1 o ring. It needs the 2 o rings changed. FYI to all.
John, I pulled the cool fuel and disassembled. Left both pumps in the top half. No paint in this area. Removed the rubber bases on the bottom and used aircraft paint stripper, wire brush, tooth brush to remove the paint. That Merc phantom black is good stuff!! Probably 3 hrs of elbow grease removing all the paint. Thoroughly flushed housing after and reassemble. Cleaned the mesh pickup
Screen on the fuel pump,changed filters and reassembled.

Old 01-27-2018, 10:59 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Ryan, when can you run it to let us know the differences?

You only did intake and rockers? What cam? ECU?

FWIW, the whistle will go away if you drill the hole out in the butterfly I think 5/16. Call Larry and ask. I also put a chamfer on mine too and it went away.
The following users liked this post:
SB (01-17-2021)
Old 01-28-2018, 07:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Ryan, when can you run it to let us know the differences?

You only did intake and rockers? What cam? ECU?

FWIW, the whistle will go away if you drill the hole out in the butterfly I think 5/16. Call Larry and ask. I also put a chamfer on mine too and it went away.
Hi Keith, April/May before water testing. Unfortunately a few months of winter left. Not expecting any noticeable speed gains.

I have a Raylar HO525 kit minus the heads on the shelf. I wanted a winter project so added the Cool Gap and rockers. Probably won't add the cam/heads till I pull engine and refresh with forged parts. Stock 496ho cam. PCM has Whipple's stage 2 tune.

I'll look into the tb hole modification. It's stock now. Larry wants me to upgrade to the 80mm tb. I just don't think it's needed with stock cam/heads.
Old 05-09-2018, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

April gone and May in swing... results required sir!
Old 05-27-2018, 05:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CJSYD
April gone and May in swing... results required sir!
Kept the stock HO throttlebody. Ran the boat this weekend. Lake is flood control and finally at summer pool. Debris still floating so have had to go easy. Got a chance yesterday to run WOT for a min. Hot humid mid 80s, 5 people on board, coolers, 50-70 gal fuel. Very slight chop. Ran 72 @ 4850. Bblades Bravo 1 30p.
Previous setup same conditions would have ran 70-71. Plan on trying my Bravo 28p here soon. Stay tuned
Old 05-27-2018, 05:05 PM
Registered

Old 05-27-2018, 08:28 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Looks Bad Ass.
Seems to be running good. Have you tried a 28 pitch prop?

padraig
Old 05-27-2018, 09:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Padraig
Looks Bad Ass.
Seems to be running good. Have you tried a 28 pitch prop?

padraig
Thanks! Any speed gains will be an added bonus. When the heads/cam are installed is when it will be really noticeable! Pre intake/rockers setup my bblades bravo 28p ran 74 @ 5100 rpms. bravo 30p was 74.7 @ 4875 rpms.
Old 05-28-2018, 06:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad you made it out and sounds like she's breathing better with the bolt on goodies... congrats! Raylar decals look great in that font too!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.