Any History On This 390? >

Any History On This 390?

Notices

Any History On This 390?

Old 07-17-2018, 09:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Believe they dropped the NXT because it wasn't a great package. Similar cost to the 6, and not as reliable, therefore gave no real advantage over the #6.

I think the resale would definitely lean towards the #6 over the Arneson's.

The Arneson's would definitely be cool, but you may have to be more patient to get the setup dialed in perfectly since it hasn't been done (to my knowledge) in the 390.

With the efficiency of the Velocity hull, a set of 700-800 hp motors, and a pair of #6's, you'd have a bullet proof package.

Are you going to have them clean up the bottom and check for straightness? Wonder if there's a slight rocker to the hull that's keeping it flat. Or maybe, just because it's staggered, the CG is a little skewed and not letting it get on the tail.

Should be a cool project to follow along with, and you're in good hands with Kenny and Steve.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kenny nor Steve have told me to check the hull yet but I'll mention it and see what they say. The major concern those two have with the Arneson is not enough bow lift. Though with my staggered set up and at my power level I don't know if I have enough to really get back on that pad anyways??!!??

I've done alot more investigating on improving the efficiency of the Konrad Ace drives because I don't want to throw money into the wind but even Konrad has told me there just isn't really anything left to gain. It's already a high X with the drives pushed pretty far back. Blue Printing might gain something very small but told me not to waste my money. We are still figuring out details and the costs invovled on both the arneson drives and 6's. Seems to get more $$$$ with every phone call lol. I will see what develops over the coming days.
Old 07-18-2018, 09:18 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Just curious to see what kind of speed gains you expect to see from the #6 set up? The boat will be gaining some weight by the time you're done. I can only imagine how well that boat will track with big diameter Speedmaster props.
Old 07-18-2018, 06:47 PM
Registered

The guess with either set up is 100 mph give or take. I would venture to guess a dry sump #6 would weigh about the same as the Konrad but if not it's gaining weight in the right area. My boat has almost no bow lift to get on the pad so weight that far back would actually help me. Plus with the dry sump design of course I'll be picking up a ton of hp and efficiency vs the Konrads. On the arneson end of it it is the most efficient of the two plus it actually weighs a ton less. Combined with the light weight of the ilmors it would really be a light set up.

Either way, it should be a big improvement, if it doesn't hit 100mph that's fine, but it would be nice
Old 08-15-2018, 03:27 PM
Registered

Just posted this is the general forum but wanted to keep you folks updated in case you don't go on there....

Arneson Surface drives are on order. They are both a great product, both have some positives and negatives. Came down to wanting to support people that have supported me over the years and Rik from Arneson has always been there for me. The other large draw is that the Arnesons are new, the 6's would have been re-built. Finally, if I were to have a problem no one in my area is equipped to work on a 6, however should a problem pop up with the arneson the design is so simple my guys here can help me, avoiding having to take the 6's off and ship them off. I'm excited to work with Rik again on this project. I will keep everyone posted.

Also, if you have or know someone with some 17.5 or 18in diameter 30 pitch props for sale please let me know. I'll be on the hunt for some used ones as I may need more than one set
Old 08-15-2018, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Good luck! Please keep us updated on this project. Looking forward to grateful results.

Padraig
Old 09-17-2018, 07:37 AM
Registered

Just waiting for the Arnesons to be produced but doing a bunch of other things while the boat is down there. One of the things I am investigating is a little lip windshield to go on top of the solid cowl to help keep the wind away. Something similair to what I see on alot of cigarette's. Kenny sent me a picture of a 410 that had one but I guess whoever made it may not be doing so or in business anymore. He is investigating but just wondering if anyone has a lead or has one that could point me in any direction.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:31 PM
Registered

Here is the 410, no idea who own it. Kenny does but didn't say.....I think it matches the lines of the boat and doesn't detract from the looks one bit.

Old 09-17-2018, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 247 Posts

I believe he is/ was a member on here. Had a build going than stopped posting. I was looking forward to seeing how it turned out. If I remember correctly blown 600ci Fords.
Old 09-18-2018, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

That would be Excess Energy (member name) - Bob Powell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.