purchase advise 260 vs 280 >

purchase advise 260 vs 280

Notices

purchase advise 260 vs 280

Old 08-17-2018, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default purchase advise 260 vs 280

I've been boating for 50 years, and I've always been aware of Velocity, but never owned one. I rode in a couple of 22's over the years, so know about getting "up on the pad" and would like to get that feeling and efficiency in a slightly bigger boat.

I'm thinking about a (post 2000) 260 or 280. Obviously the 280 will be more comfortable in the chop, but it looks like the 260 is considerably lighter, and would be easier for me to dry store......so:

- Are there any purchase points look out specific to Velocity? (i.e transom rot, stress cracks at certain locations)
- Aside from "newer is better" are there any model year differences to be aware of? I already know about the model change with swim platform length around 2000.
- My boating will be split between ocean and lake. I'll pick my days on the ocean, trying to go out in fair weather. How do the Velocities due if I get caught off guard in some snotty seas? I've always read they do better running at speed, but how do they do in the rough if I have to throttle way down to 20-30 mph? In understand they are relatively light boats for their size, so this is not their preferred running mode.
- I'm about 6'2 and would like to be able to "camp out" in the cabin for 1 or 2 nights max. I realize these aren't cruisers, but can a 6-2" guy sleep in a 260 or a 280 v-berth?
- Realistically I'm looking at stock power, probably 496 mag or HO (must be HO in a 280)..unless a deal comes along. What speeds should I expect with a 496HO and a properly set up boat? High 60's in a 280 and low 70's in a 260?
- Obviously the 280 will be better in the rough, but is it a "night and day difference"? Or does it scale as one would expect from a 24 to 26 running surface? (i.e I can think of other boats where hull design or deadrise change as length goes up, so not a "linear" increase with size)
- I assume trim tabs are suggested for all models and power levels? (One I'm looking at does not have tabs, so need to budget that in)
- Anything else to be aware of?

Thanks in advance !

Last edited by motuman; 08-19-2018 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 82 Posts

It comes down to looks for me. The 280 IMO is a better looking boat. All boats will experience stress cracks, generally cosmetic. Transom rot is a concern on any wood boat. I would definitely have it checked before buying. It depends on how well everything was sealed originally and if it has maintained its seal. My VR1 is smoother at 60 vs 30 in choppy water. The V berths are fine for an overnighter. Plenty of room to lay down. I would rather have a MCOB vs v berth. The 290SC has the best in the 26-29' range.

496HO is a reliable engine. As they age, you will have parts go bad and they will require more maintenance. Mine is an 06' 547hrs. In 4 years I have replaced IAC valve, alternator, starter, circulating pump, water pump. Your expected speeds seem about right. Tabs are not absolutely necessary, but are very nice when needed.

It sounds as if a 290SC may be your go to boat. Most came with 496HO, hyd steering, Bravo X, tabs. Best V berth of the smaller models.

​​​​​​​Give Kenny H a call and he can find your prize. I experienced a great Velocity buying experience from him!!
Old 08-19-2018, 10:04 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by motuman
I've been boating for 50 years, and I've always been aware of Velocity, but never owned one. I rode in a couple of 22's over the years, so know about getting "up on the pad" and would like to get that feeling and efficiency in a slightly bigger boat.

It thinking about a (post 2000) 260 or 280. Obviously the 280 will be more comfortable in the chop, but it looks like the 260 is considerably lighter, and would be easier for me to dry store......so:

- Are there any purchase points look out specific to Velocity? (i.e transom rot, stress cracks at certain locations)
- Aside from "newer is better" are there any model year differences to be aware of? I already know about the model change with swim platform length around 2000.
- My boating will be split between ocean and lake. I'll pick my days on the ocean, trying to go out in fair weather. How do the Velocities due if I get caught off guard in some snotty seas? I've always read they do better running at speed, but how do they do in the rough if I have to throttle way down to 20-30 mph? In understand they are relatively light boats for their size, so this is not their preferred running mode.
- I'm about 6'2 and would like to be able to "camp out" in the cabin for 1 or 2 nights max. I realize these aren't cruisers, but can a 6-2" sleep in a 260 and a 280 v-berth?
- Realistically I'm looking at stock power, probably 496 mag or HO (must be HO in a 280)..unless a deal comes along. What should I expect with a 496HO and a properly set up boat? High 60's in a 280 and low 70's in a 260?
- Obviously the 280 will be better in the rough, but is it a "night and day difference"? Or does it scale as one would expect from a 24 to 26 running surface? (i.e I can think of other boats where hull design or deadrise change as length goes up, so not a "linear" increase with size)
- I assume trim tabs are suggested for all models and power levels? (One I'm looking at does not have tabs, so need to budget that in)
- Anything else to be aware of?

Thanks in advance !
I previously owns a 1998 26 which would later be the 280. You mentioned your height, the cuddy at the entrance was 6'1" so large cuddy, mine was ProCharged and modified so I could quickly get on top of chop. It rode better at 65 -70 than at lower speeds. It was also light 4200 lbs dry if I recall, and ran 94.8 GPS, Great boat, I would also recommend a survey from a reputable firm. I had mine 12 years before my divorce and loved it.

Last edited by RBeyer; 08-19-2018 at 02:53 PM. Reason: typos
Old 08-19-2018, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 1,325 Likes on 739 Posts

My buddy is selling his 290? With 496HO. It’s the one with a taller deck. Kenny has the Boat listed I know it runs about 75.

Old 08-19-2018, 10:53 AM
Registered

Default -

Ryan00TJ - Thanks for being the first to reply. I was asking for a lot of info, and it's not always fun to help the "newb" :-)

Speaking of looks, the molded swim platform on the VR1 was a nice upgrade from the bolt on. I assume there are some refinements to the VR1 running surface as well? Wasn't that the single engine speed record holder at one point?

I hear you on the MCOB vs v-berth. Open bow, Cat, Center Console, Pontoon, or Wake Boat is all we see new these days. It seems like the market for smaller (under 30) closed bow boats has really softened. That's one reason I'm looking at Velocity. Compared to a West Coast Custom (Howard, Nordic, Eliminator, etc) with equivalent performance, the Velocity seems to offer great value. I'll just have to travel if I get one.

FWIW - I was going to wait for the market to soften before making a move, but I lost my boat in California Wildfire. Unfortunately the market for used performance boats is literally red hot out here (pun intended) , so it's not the best time to be shopping.

Last edited by motuman; 08-19-2018 at 01:00 PM.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:00 AM
Registered

RBeyer - Thanks for the message.

I assume you as saying you ran 84 GPS? (typo 04.8 GPS) In 1998 that would have come with 454 mag mpi correct? I'd love to hear the details of your build to obtain that speed. I've always heard the Velocity's take power well, but how much HP (or PSI of boost on the pro charger) was required to get into the 80's?
Old 08-19-2018, 11:12 AM
Registered

Hey Wildman_grafix

Does your friends boat have purple and green graphics? ( I can't post the link)

75 mph is impressive on a boat that size with a 496HO. The ad says it has a labbed prop. I read another thread talking about props and set-up making a big difference on these hulls. I guess when you running on a pad its all about lift and how much boat you can get out off the water.
Old 08-19-2018, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Motuman,
If you have a choice, it's usually a better decision to go a little larger than smaller when it comes to being on the water. That said I fully appreciate moving a larger boat compared to a smaller boat on the land! I've been on several Velocity rallies on the Cheasapeake and the Gulf to know that the 280's will pretty quickly separate from the 260 with the same power. Length matters in real conditions and indeed the 280 hull also performs bigger than its length. As said above tabs are always nice to have expecially when seas kick up (i use them on my 390). The 280 v-berth may work fine for you but you be the judge. All good advice above from the other owners and do get the boat surveyed as you never know how hard the boat was run and how well it was cared for unless you known the past owner for a while.
Old 08-19-2018, 12:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RBeyer
I previously owns a 1998 26 which would later be the 280. You mentioned your height, the cuddy at the entrance was 6'1" so large cuddy, mine was ProCharged and modified so I could quickly get on top of chop. It rode better at 65 -70 than at lower speeds. It was alos light 4200 lbs dry if I recall and ran 04.8 GPS, Great boat, I would also recommend a survey from a reputable firm. I had mine 12 years before my divorce and loved it.
I assume you as saying you ran 84 GPS? (typo 04.8 GPS) In 1998 that would have come with 454 mag mpi correct? I'd love to hear the details of your build to obtain that speed. I've always heard the Velocity's take power well, but how much HP (or PSI of boost on the pro charger) was required to get into the 80's?
Old 08-19-2018, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

I agree the longer bow of the 280 looks much better. For me, it had to fit in my garage, so the 260 it was. I have the longer Dana 1000 tabs on mine,which I would highly recommend, if you go with a 260. Gives the boat a longer feel. A 280 is also going to require more power to reach the same speed as a 260

A 260 or 280 aren't going to be big water boats, but will do about as good as can be expected for their size. I have had mine in some pretty rough water on Lake Michigan,and it's just not much fun in a boat this size.

As far as sleeping on it, it is pretty tight. I have only slept on mine a couple of times. I agree with Ryan00TJ the 290 SC would be a better choice. I would estimate it would take about 750 hp to get that into the 80's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.