2002 velocity 280 >

2002 velocity 280

Notices

2002 velocity 280

Old 02-22-2019, 06:14 PM
Chevy-Harley fan
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great Hull. I would try to find one with more power and taps already so you can enjoy it now.

Last edited by gmhdfan; 02-22-2019 at 06:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I am very excited about this boat. I think that running it for the season and seeing how it performs is a good recommendation. Even if i decided mid season tabs was a necessity, its a weekend project. I boat on Lake Champlain, from Vermont, generally dont have to deal with super rough water. As for power, i think that i will be pleased with the current set up, but good to know that upgrades are just a reprogram away. The Velocity community seems to be a good one, and hopefully if this deal works out i will be able to join and contribute! Thanks again to everyone

Last edited by formulavt; 02-22-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 02-22-2019, 08:09 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Good luck with the purchase. By the way, my wife was a driving force in buying our 1998 280 Velocity. We had it for 15 years before buying the VR 1.
Sick Stinger, on this forum often has used tabs for sale at good prices should you decide to add some.

Padraig
Old 02-23-2019, 11:41 AM
Registered

So I found a 2002 VR 1 about an hour away from where the 280 is, i may try to coordinate seeing them both the same day i drive down. Other then the 1' difference, what are the major differences between the two boats? They are asking $2,500 more for the VR 1. I am a family man that wants a toy, so i will have kids with me often, wife and i may try and sneak a night out here and there also, things to consider. And here is the big question..granted they are both in good shape, lower hours, both 496 engine, what should i pay?? i know thats a tough one, but roughly. Thanks!
Old 02-23-2019, 11:42 AM
Registered

Oh yeah, almost forgot, anyone know a surveyor in the lake george NY area??
Old 02-23-2019, 12:28 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

I would think the boat is stored and WINTERIZED for the complete winter season. Maybe something to work out in a contract clause about when weather warms a bit to finally inspect deeper and lake testing. I can not tell you how important is to lake test used boats underload. . I have been in those same dealings as well, iced over lakes and complete winter stored boats.

For the engine side and drive side and ESPECIALLY for the 496 I would hire a real certified Mercruiser tech to check out that end of it and that has the latest scan tool equipment. The survey people know nothing about these engines nor anything that has 555 controls and up. .

That area is very close to were I grew up. And with that said, if you need a REAL tech who knows the 496 inside and out - I can always perform the service. But NOT for free just to be clear about the offer. I would have the means for transportation in and around the area.

Last edited by BUP; 02-23-2019 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:01 PM
Registered

BUP, exactly what would you do to ensure the condition of the motor and drive? I am a master certified technician, and shop Forman of the largest Honda dealer in Vermont, so I know engines, I just don't have access to marine scan tools. I do appreciate the suggestion though, and think it's a good one. I am very aware the boat is winterized, I am starting the buying process, that starts with looking. I have made arrangements with the owner already. I don't know the methods or tools used by surveyors to check the integrity of the boat itself, so that one is super important to me, last thing I want is to be putting a transom on a boat I just purchased. What's your going rate, and what are your credentials? I would never expect a complete stranger to perform these services for free, your response was slightly agressive..lol.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:39 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

There is a huge miss interpretation of a boat survey and a complete pre purchase inspection -- For one how far and in depth does the buyer want to go and for putting an upfront cost is impossible without short changing the complete job in hand. Let say I find a water leak -- is it engine side - boat side side or transom assembly side ? Then that has to be looked into and so forth just an small example - next fault codes - what is faulted or was and why did the engine throw a fault code(s) ? is this an on going issue or a past or present issue ? again another example

For one surveys especially like SAMS KNOW NOTHING about engines period especially MPI and CATALYST engines -- Lets get that straight right off the bat -- if they own a scan tool inwhich is very RARE they basically use for engine hour checks

Next info -- think of this as in the car industry --- pre purchase inspection - How far does the buyer want to go with inspection - full indepth - a tad of depth or a basic or just visual inspections -- do you want oil analysis - do want the drive pulled and examine the U joints - bellows - gimbel bearing and look at the engine coupler as best one can thru the gimbel bearing cent hole. Also check engine alignment. Propshaft run out - pressure test the outdrive for leaks ? The list can go into depth and more covered

- so my question back to buyers is what is your budget to spend on pre purchase inspections and what do you want to be check out and performed along how much depth ??

engine scan of course - engine running on hose or lake tested or both and check for water leaks in the water ? Interpretation of the scan engine ? Its hard to give out an exact price for a pre purchase inspection until the buyer collaborates with the inspector what they want and check out and how much depth. These marine inspections are way different than auto inspections and depths of them.

The inspection also offer the buyer a list of better haggling lower price options . Buyer beware with used boats NEVER SEEN a used boat that did not need something from mild to full bore out right pig with lipstick on it repairs. The 496 is a very missed engine that many think is 100 percent until I show up and get testing and digging - NO BS

Last edited by BUP; 02-23-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 02:55 PM
Registered

I'm gonna take a look at it in a few weeks, guess I will just go from there! Spring is right around the corner! May check out that VR 1 also
Old 02-23-2019, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by formulavt
So I found a 2002 VR 1 about an hour away from where the 280 is, i may try to coordinate seeing them both the same day i drive down. Other then the 1' difference, what are the major differences between the two boats? They are asking $2,500 more for the VR 1. I am a family man that wants a toy, so i will have kids with me often, wife and i may try and sneak a night out here and there also, things to consider. And here is the big question..granted they are both in good shape, lower hours, both 496 engine, what should i pay?? i know thats a tough one, but roughly. Thanks!
Ok, seeing that I have had a 1998, 280 and presently have a VR 1 I guess I should answer this. I haven't kept up with pricing so I will not address that.

VR 1
Pro
1. Very SEXY looking and a moulded in swim platform
2. Slightly better ride IMO and my wife's
3. Power bolster
​​​4. No wood anywhere including transom.
5. Did I say it is sexly ?
6 Lighter and a few mph faster then equal power 280

Cons
1. Cabin slightly less headroom.
2. Cockpit not as deep but still better then most.

Pro
1. Deep cockpit
2. Excellent headroom

Con
1. Add on swim platform, works well but not as nice looking
2. Slightly shorter than VR 1 but really not noticable.
3.3May not have hydraulic steering
4 No power bolster
5. Wood transom etc

Now with all that being said, if I had a young family and was going to overnight, I would consider a 290 SC. The cockpit is deep and the cabin is bigger then the 280 or VR 1. Plus it has an enclosed head and shower. Kenny from Let's talk boats has one in the classifieds. If you don't know Kenny he was the GM of Velocity.

Padraig

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.