Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
260 slack in the steering wheel >

260 slack in the steering wheel

260 slack in the steering wheel

Old 07-04-2019, 03:27 PM
Registered

Default 260 slack in the steering wheel

Anyone have any idea what could cause 2-3" of slack in the steering other then the cable stretching out. Just replaced the transom assembly last year and the boat steers fine dose not pull from side to side but she has was to much slack for my liking. Just wondering if anyone has any other ideas of what it could be.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:03 PM
Registered

I have a 22 with the same thing, I have something going on with the helm. I havent tried to get it up very quick because of this but mine appears to be something with the helm itself. Like it is loose.
Old 08-21-2019, 09:06 AM
Registered

Sounds like a worn mechniacal helm. Does the steering wheel move when you push the drive from side to side? Make sure outer cable jacket is securely held in place at transom and mechanical helm. Dual cable mechanical helms are a big improvement over a single cable. While not as good as an add on external ram, they are less expensive and will help minimize the slack.