Newbie here

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Revelocity
  • 1 Post By Padraig

Newbie here

Old 07-10-2019, 08:46 AM
Registered

Default Newbie here

Hey guys, I just picked up a 1997 Velocity 320 as my first "bigger" boat. I am coming from a 230SX stingray. I didnt intentionally look for a Velocity but after some more reading I am happy that I ended up with the boat that I did.

Its a 320 with 502s in it. What props should I be using? It has 26p Hydromotives on it now. No issue hitting max RPM, however it does seem to spin them easily. I am also still learning to drive it. It needs a little TLC here and there. Anyone else have a 320 I can steal ideas from? I want to re do the floor and gauges. Bring it a little more contemperary.

Looking around I havent seen any other 320s around. At least not in my area or any where that I have looked.

Ill get some pictures loaded. Been a while since I used a forum.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:46 AM
Registered

Congrats and welcome! Alot of good people with a wealth of Velocity info here. Get some pics up.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:54 AM
Registered

If the props don't have the flair on them they will break out easy but they run real nice. I have the same issue on a single engine 280. They Hydro's seem to chine walk a lot less, with twins your probably not going to have the same issues. A lot of people like the Bravo 1 Props which typically run less pitch then rated, vs the Hydro's which run truer.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:57 AM
Registered

Take your time to learn the 320 handling and you'll be rewarded. It is more sensitive to having the proper tab settings than trim. Do not lift the tabs higher than neutral and put them down to settle the boat as needed - trim alone seldom is enough to settle it. Hydro props work very well on this hull and is what the factory supplied. The 26" may have come from factory (can't remember) and it's certainly a good prop for now. Once again take your time learning this hull (both with sea conditions and at speed), it's more demanding to learn/drive than the other Velocity hulls.
Padraig likes this.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ryan00TJ View Post
Congrats and welcome! Alot of good people with a wealth of Velocity info here. Get some pics up.
Appears that I need at least 10 posts before the forum will allow me to post any pictures.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:08 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ThisIsLivin View Post
If the props don't have the flair on them they will break out easy but they run real nice. I have the same issue on a single engine 280. They Hydro's seem to chine walk a lot less, with twins your probably not going to have the same issues. A lot of people like the Bravo 1 Props which typically run less pitch then rated, vs the Hydro's which run truer.
When we tested the boat before I drove it, it has 30P Bravo 1s on it and I think it ran better. Definetly didnt walk as much as it does now at WOT. I am looking for a set of 30 or 28s now. I dont have any walk issues until around 72-73 and with me still learning this boat. I have only seen that speed once or twice.

Originally Posted by Revelocity View Post
Take your time to learn the 320 handling and you'll be rewarded. It is more sensitive to having the proper tab settings than trim. Do not lift the tabs higher than neutral and put them down to settle the boat as needed - trim alone seldom is enough to settle it. Hydro props work very well on this hull and is what the factory supplied. The 26" may have come from factory (can't remember) and it's certainly a good prop for now. Once again take your time learning this hull (both with sea conditions and at speed), it's more demanding to learn/drive than the other Velocity hulls.
I have experienced this first hand. I was very impressed how well the boat handles rough water. I am on the Chesapeake and have taken trips down the bay and was surprised at how well it did with the nose down a little. I talked to Scott. He told me to make them nuetral with a straight edge and then go one number below that on the gauge and almost always leave it there. I have been leaving them there. I think its about a 4 or 5 on the gauge. And then triming with the engines until conditions dictate more tab. Its a learning curve, but I also think it makes it more exciting to drive.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:26 AM
Registered

Place a mark on the gauge when you determine where neutral is. Quick and easy when you are running. I used a thin strip of blue masking tape and it is still on after 5 years.

Padraig
1998dsmtalon likes this.
Old 07-11-2019, 08:42 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1998dsmtalon View Post
When we tested the boat before I drove it, it has 30P Bravo 1s on it and I think it ran better. Definetly didnt walk as much as it does now at WOT. I am looking for a set of 30 or 28s now. I dont have any walk issues until around 72-73 and with me still learning this boat. I have only seen that speed once or twice.

I have experienced this first hand. I was very impressed how well the boat handles rough water. I am on the Chesapeake and have taken trips down the bay and was surprised at how well it did with the nose down a little. I talked to Scott. He told me to make them nuetral with a straight edge and then go one number below that on the gauge and almost always leave it there. I have been leaving them there. I think its about a 4 or 5 on the gauge. And then triming with the engines until conditions dictate more tab. Its a learning curve, but I also think it makes it more exciting to drive.
Just watch the more exciting part. I wanted to test a new prop but the water wasn't cooperating, but I went anyway. I was running 75+ in 2-2.5' waves and trying to see how much trim I could run with the new prop, bad idea. I had 2 waves come together and I caught some pretty good air, that's when things got hairy. My stern caught the next wave and slammed the bow into the following wave. That caused the stern to flip around and the boat slammed the wave full broadside. I came to a full stop instantly and at such an angle that my head was fully immersed in that wave. Fortunately, sort of, I made sure my life jackets are impact rated to 100mph so I had some cushion between me and my bolster. I have the old style full stand up bolster which I am grateful for, they keep you in place real well. I ended up with a couple of cracked ribs and a contusion on my leg that I can still feel 1 1/2 years later. Needless to say I keep the boat flat on waves over 1' when I'm trying to go fast.