Prop testing on my 280 >

Prop testing on my 280

Notices

Prop testing on my 280

Old 08-23-2021, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Prop testing on my 280

I finally had some decent water to do some prop testing over the last couple weekends. I've been running a Bblades labbed Bravo 1 30p 4 blade. It runs pretty good with 4 or more people and a full tank to hold the boat in the water typically 80+. By myself it wants to chine walk something terrible. I also run more trim than my old Hydromotive 27p QIV. I put the QIV back on and I use almost half the trim and by myself I can run faster with no chine walk. The problem I have with both is that I can break them loose pretty easy, especially the QIV. In real rough water the QIV will break loose and I have to come to a stop before I can get it to bite again. It's apparent that the Bravo 1 is not designed for the Velocity's pad bottom, too much stern lift. The QIV is more of a cleaver style and I think a 5 blade version is what the boat wants with a little more pitch. I've had Bblades lab a different B1 prop for me in the past and the boat was almost unusable it handled so bad. It porpoised more than flipper in flat water. What has everyone else found?
Old 08-23-2021, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I can't remember what power you have. My old 280 always ran faster with the hydromotive 4 blade then a bravo 1 both mid range and top end. I had a mostly stock 502. The only times it would break loose is if caught in crazy wakes and wash in a poker run. The hydro is srern lifting and the bravo more of a bow lifting prop. I am running a hydromotive P 5 on my VR 1 and pleased with it however the VR 1 runs different then the 280. If you haven't done so, give Tom at hrdromotive a call. Good guy and knowledgeable. Another thought is maybe BBladex 4 speed prop.

Padraig
Old 08-24-2021, 07:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Padraig
I can't remember what power you have. My old 280 always ran faster with the hydromotive 4 blade then a bravo 1 both mid range and top end. I had a mostly stock 502. The only times it would break loose is if caught in crazy wakes and wash in a poker run. The hydro is srern lifting and the bravo more of a bow lifting prop. I am running a hydromotive P 5 on my VR 1 and pleased with it however the VR 1 runs different then the 280. If you haven't done so, give Tom at hrdromotive a call. Good guy and knowledgeable. Another thought is maybe BBladex 4 speed prop.

Padraig
How far is your prop shaft below the pad, mine is about 4"? My Hydro has a short hub without the flair so it doesn't have any stern lift. I actually sat down with Tom, his shop is near some of my clients and I used to pass through Twinsburg often. Although the last few times I stopped by their office it was closed. I know they were having problems finding a new foundry. My experience with Bblades wasn't good. I had them straighten a blade that was out .100 and lab a prop for over $700. I got it back in October so I couldn't test it. Tested it the next spring and it was horrible couldn't even use it. I called and they wanted another $350 to fix it. Got it back and it wasn't much better. I ended up trading it for my current B1 30p. I'm thinking hard about trying out a Cutting Edge 5 blade, they are half the price of Hydromotive and they will work with you.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

My prop is approx 3.5 inches below the pad..
It might be worthwhile to talk to Scott at Velocity.

Padraig
Old 09-13-2021, 02:16 PM
Registered

Ran the BBlades prop slip calculator and my labbed 30P is at 26%. Have to get numbers on my Hydormotive and see where it's at. I have to run the 30P Bravo with a lot of trim to settle down the chine walk, which could be part of the problem.
Old 09-14-2021, 10:39 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

You should be 15% slip or less for a well set up Velocity hull. Your Bravo prop shouldn't require twice as much trim as the Hydro - something is not right there. A 28" Bravo spinning faster may work better than 30".
Old 09-15-2021, 07:00 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=Revelocity;4805607]You should be 15% slip or less for a well set up Velocity hull. Your Bravo prop shouldn't require twice as much trim as the Hydro - something is not right there. A 28" Bravo spinning faster may work better than 30".[

If my Hydro would stay hooked up it would be great. In rough water or turns it blows out and I have to drop off plane to get it to bite again. I’m looking into a 28P Cutting Edge 5 blade.
Old 10-01-2021, 09:32 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had my 280 I ran a few props but ended up bouncing back and forth between the 32 bravo 1 and a 34 bravo 1. The 34 never felt right and was told it did not match the rest of the smaller bravo's. I would spin the 32 to 6000-6100 and you definitely had to be zoned in because it would chine walk if I was in the boat by myself. I never tried any 5 blades because I had so many outdrive issues with the 4 blade I figured the 5 blade would make things worse. The boat would have probably benefited from the 5 blade setup and perhaps calmed things down at higher speeds.
Old 09-06-2023, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig

Padraig
Hey padraig,what pitch & diameter p5 prop are you running on your Vr1?,i recently repowered mine & am testing props,i have a borrowed labbed 29 p5 from kenny.Tried a bravo 1 30pitch & it had 20.6 % slip.Also what kind of power is in your VR?