Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
My search paid off >

My search paid off

Notices

My search paid off

Old 05-13-2022, 11:37 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 19 Posts

I went up yesterday and ended up bringing the boat home. Mechanically the boat is very solid. Aesthetically she's going to take a bunch of work and some time to get her standing tall again. The guy that owned her has some pretty serious medical issues and he wasn't able to look after her the way he was use to doing. That along with our differences in visual tastes other than the boat has left some work to do. The first thing I did was peel the Pure Energy graphics off and they left some yellowing under the letters. However you can also see where the original Velocity graphics were, so I''m going to make some marks and take some measurements so when I go to put the new Velocity graphics back on. It will be much easier to put them where they were originally. I'm also not thrilled with the captains seats in the boat. The just aren't very secure when you're running at any speed. It's going to be a project which I enjoy and I'll be able to make her what my vision of a 1985 22 Velocity should be.

Last edited by Donnie D; 05-13-2022 at 11:40 AM.
Old 05-13-2022, 01:14 PM
Registered

Received 154 Likes on 84 Posts

What an awesome find, congrats. Sorry if I rubbed you wrong in other thread. Sounds like I was able to steer you in right direction, which was my only intent. 500HP sounds like a ton of fun and it looks SWEET with the swim platform, please tell us how fast it runs. I like colors too.
The following users liked this post:
Donnie D (05-13-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 01:51 PM
Registered

The swim platform is something my wife loves because of the step the folds down into the water. As for me...So far I'm not a fan. I'm thinking if it didn't stick out like a sore thumb I might like it a little more so I'm going to pull it off and have it powder coated white. That hopefully will make it a like less in your face.

Last edited by Donnie D; 05-13-2022 at 01:56 PM.
Craney (05-14-2022)
Old 05-13-2022, 01:57 PM
Registered

For now my main concern are the shadows from the vinyl lettering the guy had on the boat that was immediately peeled off when I got it home yesterday. The plans is to re install the original Velocity lettering on the boat once I get the sides where I want them. I've been working on the G and Y and they are coming along, but it's taking more work than I had figured. I'm bening gentle because I'm not sure how much gel coat I have to play with.
Old 05-14-2022, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Donnie. Best of luck moving forward with your new project! The basic graphics pattern is similar to my 2 color 1985 graphics. Did you sea trial the boat?

Donnie D (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 10:49 AM
Registered

I did. We took the boat out and ran it around for about an hour. He had some type of Chopper prop on the boat and he liked to run the boat nose high to the point of the boat porpoising pretty bad. I drove the boat for a while and when the trim was set to a proper point the boat ran fine and had a good ride. For a 37 year old boat I couldn't find anything horrible wrong with it other than it needs a good buff and wax. Other than that...Everything seemed to be ok.
Padraig (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 12:01 PM
Registered

Received 199 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
The swim platform is something my wife loves because of the step the folds down into the water. As for me...So far I'm not a fan. I'm thinking if it didn't stick out like a sore thumb I might like it a little more so I'm going to pull it off and have it powder coated white. That hopefully will make it a like less in your face.
I think you will like the swim platform better once you start using it, and realize how practical they are may​​​​​​be change the color.
Donnie D (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 02:39 PM
Registered

I'm looking in to having it powder coated. I'm trying to decide which would be better. White or the royal blue.
Craney (05-14-2022)
Old 05-14-2022, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 221 Likes on 117 Posts

Donnie, Congrats and welcome to the family. Ihave a VR 1. As you are working on the boat keep in mind that the Velocity factory is a great resource for information, parts etc. Kenny at Let's Talk Boats is also a good resource. Kenny used to be the GM at Velocity. Of course, Revelocity is also a great resource and a good guy.

Padraig
Donnie D (05-14-2022)
Old 05-16-2022, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Donnie D View Post
I did. We took the boat out and ran it around for about an hour. He had some type of Chopper prop on the boat and he liked to run the boat nose high to the point of the boat porpoising pretty bad. I drove the boat for a while and when the trim was set to a proper point the boat ran fine and had a good ride. For a 37 year old boat I couldn't find anything horrible wrong with it other than it needs a good buff and wax. Other than that...Everything seemed to be ok.
Excellent. As I recall my 22' did not need or use a lot of trim for top speed. I'd suggest you try to find a Mirage Plus prop (Steve Stepp recommended). I liked the Mirage better than the 4 blade Bravo which seemed to slightly torque the boat to a side attitude under flat conditions and no doubt put more stress on the Alpha. I always wanted to try a Hydro Q4 on the 22' hull as I suspect it would lift a little more than the Mirage but not as much as the Bravo due to less blade area. What pitch prop is currently on the boat?
Donnie D (05-16-2022)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.