Velocity Chime walk "solved"? >

Velocity Chime walk "solved"?

Notices

Velocity Chime walk "solved"?

Old 08-24-2023, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Velocity Chime walk "solved"?

I have only had this boat for a little while. 2000 Velocity 280. It does well in waves for a boat this size, But when going past 70 mph it gets very tricky to handle. On a fairly calm day I could easily keep it settled by countering with the wheel.. But I don't care for boating in calm water... I'll take the cruiser out for that. It had a Bravo one 30P and I was able to get almost to 80 on the gps but had to stay in an easy left turn. Cut to the chase I went out today with a friends LH 5 blade 30P Hydromotive. It was quite wavy but the boat was night and day different with no chime walking. The time before was half tanks and I wondered if a little weight might help so I topped off with fuel. We hit 82MPH and I never had to use the "steering" to keep the boat from dancing. Also I was trimming like crazy and the more I trimmed the faster it went. Probably could have went faster but storm was blowing in so we called it. SO... here's the ? Do I find a 5 blade LH... or RH.... because this one isn't for sale... The right hand is out for repairs so I can't test it. I'm going to throw a LH Bravo one on tomorrow and see if it's all about the LH vs RH but I just doubt it's that simple.
Old 08-25-2023, 04:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to trim up a lot on these velocity boats
Old 08-29-2023, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

My 280 starts to chine walk at 70+ MPH. That's typical for a single engine 260/280 Velocity. It chines with either a 4 blade Bravo or Hydro QIV. Hydro vs Bravo is a driver preference with most preferring the better grip of the Bravo. That's great that the 5 blade Hydro resolved your chine walk! I don't think you'll see any substantive handling/speed improvements with LH vs RH props. There are always pro's and con's for prop blade count. The 5 blades handle better and will get a race boat around the course faster. The 4 blades will be faster with the factory x dimension and be easier on your drive - which may be important as you likely have a strong engine to throw a 30 pitch prop! Best of luck and please share your prop testing results!
The following users liked this post:
Padraig (08-30-2023)
Old 09-14-2023, 05:10 AM
Registered

Received 92 Likes on 37 Posts

I have a classic Stepp 22 and I have found a Hydromotive prop settles these boat down big time. With a B1 or a Mirage. The boat was almost uncontrollable. Since I went to a Hydromorive 4 blade. The little boat has been 80MPH. You still have to drive the boat but its easily control by counter steering.
Old 09-20-2023, 09:32 PM
Registered

So we finished the transom repairs this week and decided to go to the lake to make sure it was all set for next season. Plan was to test the RH 5 blade.. and ended up with the damn LH again but we also tested a Bravo I 28 with the diffuser removed. Tach went right past the 6k mark.. and a couple seconds later we found the rev limiter. I've done some googling and I can not find definitely if these Whipple kits set the rev limiter to 6200... I thought it was 5400. Anyway we ran that prop for all of 5 minutes and put the 5 blade back on and hit 84.2 mph at 5450. Speedo is way off and with full fuel the it never moved from empty but the tach seems right on.... This boat needs trim tabs but It looks like they would need to be quite big because at 80 mph that part of the boat is a ways away from the water.....
Old 09-30-2023, 03:44 PM
Registered

Finally got my 30P Bravo one back that I had sharpened and edges cleaned up. I can confirm I run about 81-82 with this prop and 5800 rpm. With the Hydromotive p5X 30 I'm getting 83-84 all the time and 5450 rpm. I guess I need to buy one because in addition to 2mph it also hardly ever chime walks. The Bravo ones I've tried chime walk a lot and I tried one with the diffuser cut off and it made it worse. So which 5 blade props are known for top speed?
The following users liked this post:
Donnie D (10-02-2023)