Notices

Old 01-11-2003, 06:52 PM
rapp river

Cool 280

Does anybody out there have a whipple charged 502mpi in a 280. If so, what kind of performance are you getting?

Old 01-11-2003, 09:17 PM
Joe Krumske

ANYONE??? ANYONE????? I'm also considering buying one this year. Would like to hear comments.

Joe K.

Old 01-11-2003, 10:36 PM
wilerty

I've got one. A 2000 280 with a Whipplecharged 502 mag. I also have the larger Whipple throttle body, offshore water pickup and strainer, hydraulic steering, and run a 30" non-labbed Bravo. I do very little top end running but with everything perfect I once have seen 85mph gps. It will do 80 with reasonable water, any number of people, and with any amount of gas. I cruise at about 63mph at 4000rpm.

Why are you asking? I may have more to say ...

Old 01-11-2003, 10:53 PM
rapp river

Wilerty,

I have a 1999 280 that I am going to whipple. Just wondering what kind of top speed and handling I can expect. I didn't buy the larger throttle body but I am changing the cam and having Tyler Crockett do my heads. 85 sounds like a very cool number.

Old 01-11-2003, 11:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't know what kind of hp you have with the Whipple, but a friend of mine had a NA 750 hp in a 26' (280) and it would do low 90s any day and mid 90s on a good day.

It was one great handling boat after it got on plane. His liked to blow the prop out.
Old 01-12-2003, 08:56 AM
wilerty

To reply to both of you ... per Whipple, mine should put out 640HP with the larger Throttle body and it should be about 600HP without it.

Top speed is not my thing ... I bought it to be able to cruise fast without beating the engine. Therefore, I haven't spent any real time dialing in the boat. No lab prop, no tabs, etc.

What you will find rapp river, is that the boat handles very differently at 80 than it does at 70. It is not "the same feeling" only 10mph faster. They say Velocitys are drivers boats for a reason. With the pad bottom it gets up on the pad and there isn't much boat in the water. This is true of any 26' hull at 80mph. Look at any APBA F1 race on the Speed channel and thats what they look like at about 80-85mph.

This is not a negative comment about the boat at all. I am extremely pleased with the way mine handles and don't think there is any 26' hull I'ld rather be in at that speed. Just don't think you're going to cruise down the river at 85 with a soda in one hand enjoying the scenery ...

Old 01-12-2003, 03:24 PM
rapp river

Wilerty,

Thanks for the information. I'm pretty much in the same boat as you(no pun intended). Top speed is good for talking but 99% of my running is done between 3500-4000 rpms. 63 at 4000 is a good speed and easy on that 502. Looking forward to that Whipple....Come on summer.

Old 01-12-2003, 07:19 PM
wilerty

rapp river:

To be sure you get enough water, you should install an offshore pickup and strainer when you do the Whipple.

With the amount of torque you'll be putting out, be sure you have a drive shower on your outdrive. A word to the wise is sufficient ... no full throttle starts(hard to do without breaking the prop loose) and keep the prop in the water.

I have 100 hours on the Whipple with no mechanical problems at all. Respect the torque and you'll be fine.

I assume you have hydraulic steering.

Good luck

Bill

Old 01-13-2003, 08:09 PM
Registered

i have a 540 with 3.3 on it large intercooler all the good stuff still working out the bugs but boat has been upper 90's it is a drivers boat. I hope to see 100+ this summer if drive will stay together.The deal is i would like to run that fast with one carb we are getting close Those speeds are on gps
Old 01-19-2003, 10:14 AM
Registered

Talking

rapp river
if speed is what you are looking for , give the glastron a call
i sure he will let you know how he has been WAXXXXXXing
your ass last year

Quick Reply: 280

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.