Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
88 22' Velocity-> Good, Bad, Indifferent? >

88 22' Velocity-> Good, Bad, Indifferent?

Notices

88 22' Velocity-> Good, Bad, Indifferent?

Old 09-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 88 22' Velocity-> Good, Bad, Indifferent?

Originally Posted by BMCCRAY
Anyone Know Of Any 91 Or Older 22's
There was one at a boat place in Lewisville TX off I-35. Can't remeber the name trader johns or something OB going for around $8500 think it was an 88. Think it had the Evinrude 235. Never had a chance to run the OB version. I still have an old 1989 regal spec book on the velocitys. OB version weighis around 1000 lbs less should flat out fly. My old 22 from 1987 sold in 1986 had the Steven Stepp Velocity 100 mph stickers back at rear hull claiming worlds fastes V Bottom said it was made in Sanford FL plant not regal Orlando plant. Given my druthers having owned both the 23'6' velocity 230 is the better ride dryer less wind and integrated swim platform makes it plane quicker. Only 150 lbs heavier than the 22 I/O per the old 89 Regal brochure. Balsa cored triaaxial glass in both. Seats are better in the 230. Old 22 had marine pywood buckets versus the glass in the 230s. Had to reweld the AL seat posts a few times in the 22. Finally Welde it so it wouldn't turn. The 22 was louder and turned more heads. Cabin sucked just had pads and no air circulation. 22 guages were cool ran all the way over to passenger side. Scared the hell out of your passengers with the speedo staring them in the face. Teakwood interior and swim platforms was maintenence hassle. Deadrise in 22 was 22 degrees where the 230 was 23 degrees per the brochures so it is not a complete knock off of the 22 as some claim. First year of the 230 was 1985 ran till 92 I believe Softer ride though it wont set on the pad as quickly or smoothly. Never have run the 230 as hard as the 22 yet. Older and wiser I guess. Always wonder what happened to my first velocity. Sold it while in CA. Probaly still tearing up the Colorado River The 22 is like running old L88 vette convertible compared to late model ride of a new vette as the 230 feels. Refinement is the word in comparing the two.
Old 09-18-2004, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 86 Likes on 24 Posts

Velocityet, When I Stated "cheap Material Under The Seats" I Was Referring To The Wood Used Under The Vinyl In The Gunnel Padding And The Rear Bench Seat And Engine Hatch. The Plywood Was Not Glass Encapsulated And Therefore Had A Habit Of Rotting, But I Still Loved The Boat.
Old 09-16-2005, 02:00 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 1987 Regal Velocity o/b, and it's a great boat. I had it in lake michagan, and it's rock soild. It runs 60 w/21 pitch mirage, and the motor is the original yamaha 225, 63mph/w 24 raker 3 blade. I want to sell it . there are pics. on scream and fly. The boat eats up rough water a

nd is cheap on gas, and you can tow it with a car. 239-437-9480
Old 12-31-2005, 01:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PowerboatsNW
getting kind of defenseive aren't you! I sold half the boats that are in steves new flyers. the 39 in the new flyer was ours and they forgot to mount the steering correctly and the boat broke the steering loose at 85mph and almost killed everyone onboard including myself. the boat spunout throwing everyone like pinballs inside the boat. velocity did not follow the directions and mounted the zieger steering to the bravo drives using only the three bolts that are designed to keep the end cap on the bravo drive. no studs! it was supposed to have 4 studs!
that isnt a VELOCITY problem THAT IS A PDI ASSEMBLY problem and if you didnt catch it then you SHOULD have been killed..... you spout off about quality issues but yet you fail to take the time to DOUBLE CHECK your boats and VARIFY that they are assembled correctly... you of all people should know better, and Im the one called the idiot on the local forums..... that is a big DUH... DUHBLE check.... had you caught the probles the FIRST time then you might have had more suport from the factory and a lawsuit may not have been necessary... but since you didnt you are just as much at fault as the person at the factory that used 3 rather than 4 bolts /studs.....
Old 12-31-2005, 05:48 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 7 Posts

Vmax I'd love to see that 89 info. I just bought a 30 and would like all the info I could get my hands on. Thanks.

Also there is a nice looking 90 23 ft for sale at foxchapelmarine.com

Mark
Old 01-01-2006, 03:24 PM
Registered

I would like to thank all of you who posted to this thread! The good and the bad. You have convinced me!
Boating is supposed to be a fun experience. But this Velocity site has convinced me that not all people that boat are out to have an enjoyable time.
Seems like a few of you think that because someone else has a different opinion than yourself, that they a personally insulting you.
Grow the F%$# up.
It's their personal opinion. You know the old saying;
"Opinion's are like *******s, every has one!"
This thread was one person asking about a certain boat, and everyones experience with that model, year, engine specs, ...
This is a place to share info, not personal attacks. If you disagree with someones opinion, fine, state you opinion based on facts, not personal bias.
I will say one other thing, this thread alone has convinvced me not to buy a regal or a velocity. Guess why???
I don't care for the owners of them!!!!!!!!
Old 01-01-2006, 03:40 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

I am not sure what liking or not liking the Velocity owners have to do with buying a boat but if you have questions about Velocity boats .... call or visit Steve Stepp at the factory. He is a good guy and will take time to talk with Velocity owners with or without problems and with potential customers with questions.

Good luck with what ever boat you end up with.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:22 AM
Emerald Coast of Florida
Gold Member

I'm the one who started the post...My '88 with the tired motor (600 hrs) ran mid 60's all day long. I replaced the motor last winter with a 540. So far haven't run it, got a Cig this spring. I can say that the boat is built like a tank and I have had no complaints about it. Solid, quality built and people can't believe the thing is almost 20 years old. We'll use it this spring as a day boat and use the Cig as a weekend boat. I post speeds with the 540 when I finally get the engine broke in.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:08 PM
Registered

Panic Button, that sounds cool! You have any pics of the boat even under-construction pics would be cool
Old 01-04-2006, 08:45 AM
Registered

Talking Re: 88 22' Velocity-> Good, Bad, Indifferent?

Originally Posted by BMCCRAY
Anyone Know Of Any 91 Or Older 22's
I have a 85 that was completely redone in 03 and rigged with a 250 xs pic'c are @ www.hydroillusions.com look under specialty.

Boat run 77/78 all day long 80 light on fuel.
These boats are awsome, I just wish it was a little longer some times.(no jokes guys)

Boat is for sale.

Thanks,
Tom

Last edited by velocitytom; 01-04-2006 at 08:47 AM.

Quick Reply: 88 22' Velocity-> Good, Bad, Indifferent?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.