Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Velocity
Top speed for Velocity 320 w/single ? >

Top speed for Velocity 320 w/single ?

Notices

Top speed for Velocity 320 w/single ?

Old 07-29-2004, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Top speed for Velocity 320 w/single ?

i have put 28 kplanes on my 280 and duel ram full hyd. steering and its makes all the difference in the world it is like a new boat a big speed it handles a lot better in rough i can set the tabs level or down just a little and the boat fly flat and level
Old 07-29-2004, 11:06 PM
nyvelocity280

Mike,

How hard were those to install ? Is your 280 alot more stable now at over 65 when you are going through say 2 footers coming from the side or other boat wakes that you are crossing at a slight angle ? Thanks for the great info !

Old 08-02-2004, 11:21 AM
Registered

If you're going to put tabs on it go for the 30" tabs not the short stubby 280s. Also mount them horizontal not at the same angle as the bottom.

You said CAT.
If you're looking for all out speed then don't bother with any V bottom and just get a cat. As much as I love my 41 Velocity if I had to do it all over again I would have gotten a 36' Skater, live and learn. But when I bought my boat I knew nothing about Skaters. The 36 Skater will out run any V bottom in any water conditions. You can set it up with a mild pair of 600hp motors coupled to #6 drives and have a package you will never break and you'll run 120 mph all day every day.

A Skater is the only boat that I would replace my Velocity with, don't bother with the other cats.
Old 08-02-2004, 08:55 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nyvelocity280
Mike,

How hard were those to install ? Is your 280 alot more stable now at over 65 when you are going through say 2 footers coming from the side or other boat wakes that you are crossing at a slight angle ? Thanks for the great info !
sorry i am just now getting back to you but ,yes it is every thing about the boat is better i have a blown 540 in mine the boat runs in the upper 90s i dont think i could run the boat without the 280s on it i set them level with the bottom of the boat in chop and let it rip.
Old 08-15-2004, 12:22 AM
nyvelocity280

Thanks for all the info guys ! I think based on your responses a Velocity 320 with twin 496HO's is the best ticket. I should get close to 85 and can then add the Whipple Stagee 3 kiits with the computer mod, CMI headers, and air filter and get mid 90's reliably. I would love a CAT but I'm not sure the extra insurance cost each year would be worth being able to go an extra 15-25 MPh on the top end - especially if I can only go that fast once in a while.

Onn a side note, I have been looking at the Superboat 30Y2K - very interesting with either a HP525 or twin 300x O/B's - it would be really fast, handle rough water very well, and has some styling options that are intriguing (such as the quarter canopies. Just not sure if the 7' beam would bother me much. Wife doesn't think they are falshy enough graphic wise but obviously I can get it painted any way I wanted. Anyone have any thoughts on a SB or have been in one ?

Old 08-15-2004, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Top speed for Velocity 320 w/single ?

The 30ft Superboat is a neat boat but with the 7 ft beam it has a tendency to rock from side to side alot unless you are really running it at a higher speed,I think you will be happy with a 320 Velocity,I love mine.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:49 AM
nyvelocity280

Hey Hyper,

That was what I was worried about with the 7' beam - no one ever has mentioned that except you. I definitely don't want anything that will do that. Everything I have been looking at so far keeps causing me to look right back at the Velocity 320. I can't find any other boat in the 30-32' range that has all the features I like other than the Velocity. Can you tell me how much more room you have in your compared to my 280 ? I have yet to see a 320 in person and am hoping it has another foot of space in the cockpit between the rear bench and the front bolsters. Also, how good is you 320 behaved at 80 - 90mph in 1-2 footers "confused chop". My assumption is that with twins and full hydraulic steering and tabs, your boat must handle the water much better than my 280 at 70 with no hydraulic steering and no tabs. I may just put tabs on my 280 and keep it a few more years and mod the engine slightly because it really is a nice boat other than the higher speed handling and my wishlist of 2 engines and a bit more cockpit room. Do you have any idea what msrp on a new 320 with twin 496HO's is about ? I'm thinking around 129k ?? I've seen some 1 year old ones for just over 100k on boattraderonline.

Old 08-16-2004, 06:37 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Top speed for Velocity 320 w/single ?

My 320 will eat up alot more water than my 280 did,the cockpit area is at least 1 to 2 feet longer and the cabin area is huge,it also has a completely enclosed head and sink area with room to spare.I know were there is a brand new left over 320 with 454s in it that you can probably steal,what part of the country are you from.I also know were there is a 320 with a pair 550 hp motors in it.
Old 08-16-2004, 08:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

nyvelocity,
the dealer I purchased my VR1 from had a 01 320 with 496HOs w/60-70 hrs at $80K. Test drove the boat. Very nice. It ran in the mid 80s. If interested Email me and I will send a link to the dealer. He is in Calif very reputable.
Old 08-17-2004, 08:18 AM
nyvelocity280

Hyper/TJ,

I won't be in the market for another boat till next year most likely. I'm just trying to make up my mind before I start really looking hard. Heck, I may decide to put tabs on my boat and if rides better keep it a few more years until a good deal comes along. I am also still not sure if I want to buy new and get exactly what I want or try and find something a year or two old and get a much better deal. Thank you for the information though. Hyper, the size difference info was great - I was hoping and it looked in pictures like the 320 had another foot or so of room in the cockpit at least. That must be really nice having that extra room to move around.

Quick Reply: Top speed for Velocity 320 w/single ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.