How to drive a Velocity 260... >

How to drive a Velocity 260...

Notices

How to drive a Velocity 260...

Old 10-21-2004, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to drive a Velocity 260...

I searched around, before purchasing my Velocity, and read several posts where people claimed that you had to learn how to drive a Velocity differently than other comparably sized boats in the rougher seas. I have had the boat out several times and it seems to prefer running a little "fast and loose" rather than slowing down and atempting to plow through the rough stuff.

What pointers would you veterans recommend for someone new to Velocities?
Old 10-21-2004, 03:42 PM
Registered

Default Re: How to drive a Velocity 260...

There is truth to learning how to drive a Velocity!

I have a 320 with twins.... but I'd go out on a limb and say they are probably similar.

Right on, skip across the tops of the ruff stuff! may require some tab and pull the drives in to keep the nose down. Ride is much improved in really big water if you slice thru the tops a little, I try not to launch it if I'm racing, I try to keep it level, it rides better and is faster.

But the best way to learn how to drive a Velocity.... go on a couple of poker runs and try to keep up with the big boys!!
That's the way I learned. There is no standard trim and tab setup for max speed, it will always change with water conditions. I was told to try and keep the deck parallel with the water surface.... but natural instinct from driving standard v-hulls is to over trim, lift the tabs to high and start rocking chine to chine.... drives are too far out! Pull the drives in then start picking up the tabs..... keeping an eye on the GPS speed, get comfortable with the feel and adjust the trim and tabs. I try to pick up the tabs as much as possible without getting unstable, and that may require to trim way in, but keeping an eye on the GPS, it is quite a bit faster than drives out with the tabs down.

This is my first Velocity and I've only had it for two seasons now, so I'm still learning. But the best teacher was some competition and miles of open water to adjust, adjust, and adjust. Once you get the "feeling", then you get the confidence, and then you get a lot of satisfaction trying to master this hull.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm no "veteran", having just under 100 hours on my 26' Thoroughbred since I bought it, but I do have a couple of observations:

My boat DOES NOT like to go 40 in rough water. Beat's the crap out of you. Push it up to 55-60, and it's a whole different boat. At 70+, BIG GRIN!

I was scared of the chine walk the first couple of times I experienced it. After talking to Kenny at Velocity, and following his advise: No problem at all! He told me to "pop" the wheel to one side very quickly at the onset of chine walk. As soon as it settles, hammer it! Works every time for me.

Overall the best handling boat I've ever driven.

Jim
Old 10-21-2004, 05:44 PM
Registered

L9X25, I have a 1986 30 and i can tell you TeamV and bglz42 are right on the money with there advice!!!! Minimal trim and tab and maximum speed, in a following sea,and you can trim out a little more in a head sea!!! You want to stay hooked up and on top and run level !! The tabs will give you too much stern lift if you use too much!! I use my tabs like training wheels in the flat water, just enough to keep from walking ! Oh yea I have about 3000 Hrs.playing and racing in my boat!!! Good luck!! STEELIN TIME OPA P4-33.
Old 10-22-2004, 09:17 AM
Registered

Thanks folks ... that is about what I expected to hear but was afraid to try without some confirmation.

We went out for a little day trip, starting out in calmer water, and ended up in a bad chop. We had picked up the speed before we hit the choppy conditions and pretty much drove over the top. We made a stop and never had the nerve to crank the speed back up while in the rough stuff. We rationalized that the seas had gotten worse during our stop, while I honestly believe that we should have tried to get back on top. We endured a miserable ride back to the calmer water.

I have a little experience with a similar scenario in a smaller tunnel boat that we have owned for many years ... it would beat you to death at slower speeds but would reward you as speeds got over 60, to a point. If the water got too big you ran the risk of "stuffing" which I did once or twice (really piercing a big wave) and that was not fun.

Thanks again to all for you comments

Leo

Last edited by L9X25; 10-22-2004 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Registered

give the wife/girlfriend a ride in the ruff stuff and you will slow down 10 mph or so. Just kidding friend, stay on top fast is good be safe.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:11 PM
Registered

Interesting comments on how to drive a Velocity. I just picked up my '89 Regal/Velocity 23 cuddy last Friday. It has a 454 Mag four barrel w/Bravo one 1.36 and a nose cone. The dealer was to install a 4 blade prop but I ended up with a 3 blade Mirage plus 21" pitch. I had a couple buddies join me and the mechanic in the trial run so with the four of us we had close to 800 lb. in the boat. Sure enough the water conditions in the Puget Sound was very rough that day. The Velocity seemed to feel very light and somewhat hard to handle and control at high speed. I fully understand that it is a drivers boat and that is great. My Velocity does not have trim tabs and the dealer/mechanic said I didn't need them. I noticed that several times when we got it up on the pad the back end seemed to slide sideways. I assumed it was sliding off the pad? Am I correct? Conditions were rough enough that we did get it completely out of the water. The mechanic said a four blade Bravo in a 22" pitch will level it out more (lift the back) and do a better job of maximizing the performance with the combo I have. Is the back end sliding like that common on a Velocity? I love that boat. Being 15 years old and a fresh water boat it is spotless. Looks like new. The previous owner(s) definitely loved it also. What a great classic look.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:25 PM
Registered

VelocityET try a 24 hydromotive. I will be the first to tell you that I hate these props but they work well on your style boat.
Old 10-28-2004, 09:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Velocity Mark
VelocityET try a 24 hydromotive. I will be the first to tell you that I hate these props but they work well on your style boat.
Velocity Mark he has a 1.36 drive i think the 24 may be a little tall for that gear
Old 10-29-2004, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they do like to run flat....
Attached Thumbnails How to drive a Velocity 260...-runninbeach.jpg  

Quick Reply: How to drive a Velocity 260...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.