Advice on re-power options >

Advice on re-power options

Notices

Advice on re-power options

Old 02-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I'm not so sure I'd be condeming your current engines to the graveyard already. They've served you well for the past 15 years, and 300ish hours, is certainly not a level of making them ready for the trash bin. AND, they have not even been torn down to evaluate exactly what the issue is, and already you're builder has you buying new power?

At 300 hours, for all you know, they might need a fresh hone job, some rings, bearings, etc. If they were truly "NEW" mercury 454 420hp engines, they should have been standard 4.250 bore size. There should be room for an overbore, even IF, a cylinder was hurt. Or, be sleeved.

Those 454 / 420 engines, had decent parts in them. Certainly capable of supporting the power you are at. A fresh rebuild on the shortblock, some new EQ iron heads, and a blower upgrade, and I don't see any reason, you can't make 600, 650, 700+HP, without getting into them being radical time bombs.

Even IF, the block was trashed, you can find those blocks for a song these days, few hundred bucks. I just saw a guy out your way the other day selling a STD bore 4 bolt main 454 block, for around 500 bucks.

Before I'd hit the big red panic button, I'd want to see exactly what the problem is , and what it will take to fix it. There's nothing exotic in those engines, that should be costing a million bucks to refresh/rebuild them.
i don,t understand how a builder can say the engine is beyond rebuilding without taking it apart and inspecting the internals unless salt water has eaten block&heads up.jmo.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
i don,t understand how a builder can say the engine is beyond rebuilding without taking it apart and inspecting the internals unless salt water has eaten block&heads up.jmo.
Thats what I was thinking. Plus he said he rarely goes in the salt, and when he does, he comes back thru pretty much freshwater, than flushes em. I'd prob wanna do some sonic checks before condemning the engines.

Might be time for a second opinion. in my opinion.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I'm not so sure I'd be condeming your current engines to the graveyard already. They've served you well for the past 15 years, and 300ish hours, is certainly not a level of making them ready for the trash bin. AND, they have not even been torn down to evaluate exactly what the issue is, and already you're builder has you buying new power?

At 300 hours, for all you know, they might need a fresh hone job, some rings, bearings, etc. If they were truly "NEW" mercury 454 420hp engines, they should have been standard 4.250 bore size. There should be room for an overbore, even IF, a cylinder was hurt. Or, be sleeved.

Those 454 / 420 engines, had decent parts in them. Certainly capable of supporting the power you are at. A fresh rebuild on the shortblock, some new EQ iron heads, and a blower upgrade, and I don't see any reason, you can't make 600, 650, 700+HP, without getting into them being radical time bombs.

Even IF, the block was trashed, you can find those blocks for a song these days, few hundred bucks. I just saw a guy out your way the other day selling a STD bore 4 bolt main 454 block, for around 500 bucks.

Before I'd hit the big red panic button, I'd want to see exactly what the problem is , and what it will take to fix it. There's nothing exotic in those engines, that should be costing a million bucks to refresh/rebuild them.
Hello Mild. When we discussed the cost of rebuilding them with new blocks (he was adamant about that) and replacing any worn out parts and all the accessories so they would essentially be new motors, he was ball parking at least 10k per side and said at his own price to do it he'd rather see me go the 540 reman route or find low hour drop in 496HO's. Of course he hadn't pulled the motors so couldn't be 100% sure yet whats inside and the exact cost, but I trust Dave as we've had a long and good relationship with him. Maybe much of this comes down to the fact that he's probably not the cheapest option in town for motor work. Whose high quality and fair price for engine building in the Chesapeake area?

In any case today I now have an option on some low hour Merc blue motors. Gonna go see them next week and very likely to pull the trigger on them and just get it done.

The motors i have now, any idea of a realistic asking price to offload em? Stbd motor runs but only holds 35# in cylinder #8, the rest vary between 100-130. Didn't do compression tests on port motor, but its running fine.
Old 02-02-2017, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by blown
Hello Mild. When we discussed the cost of rebuilding them with new blocks (he was adamant about that) and replacing any worn out parts and all the accessories so they would essentially be new motors, he was ball parking at least 10k per side and said at his own price to do it he'd rather see me go the 540 reman route or find low hour drop in 496HO's. Of course he hadn't pulled the motors so couldn't be 100% sure yet whats inside and the exact cost, but I trust Dave as we've had a long and good relationship with him. Maybe much of this comes down to the fact that he's probably not the cheapest option in town for motor work. Whose high quality and fair price for engine building in the Chesapeake area?

In any case today I now have an option on some low hour Merc blue motors. Gonna go see them next week and very likely to pull the trigger on them and just get it done.

The motors i have now, any idea of a realistic asking price to offload em? Stbd motor runs but only holds 35# in cylinder #8, the rest vary between 100-130. Didn't do compression tests on port motor, but its running fine.
If you're dealing with "billy boats", on those 525''s, hes' a great guy. I'd have no worries about purchasing anything from Billy.

As far as your engines go, not sure why the blocks would be needing replacement, unless they have seen lots of salt useage. One of my engine blocks, is a 80's 454 block, that has been in use, well, since the 80s in a boat, and currently putting 800hp to it. The other block, came from a automotive engine, but same deal. I have seen blocks that have been trashed from salt, but a sonic check will tell that story. being as you're were supposedly new 15 years ago, I doubt everyone who has a 2000 era, 502 merc engine, is throwing their blocks away, and buying new blocks.

Some drop in closed cooling 525EFI merc's, would be nice though.
Old 02-02-2017, 09:46 PM
Driver-441
Racer

Received 1,071 Likes on 283 Posts

In your area both Dave at MDG and Tony at CMS are great guys. We have a set of "White Racing Engines" in our shop right now and Im never the one to bash but I would not recommend them. A lot of overseas parts on those.
Old 02-02-2017, 10:14 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by blown
Since they need new blocks and $10k rebuilds, I'll offer $500 a piece.

Good luck with your repower. Many opinions here. Seems like some 502 longblocks with your top end and accessories would be a cheap and level option.

Last edited by TxHawk; 02-02-2017 at 10:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:14 AM
Registered

Received 258 Likes on 149 Posts

I say find some good houred 496HO's and be done.

Easy to work on, long hrs of use, generally trouble free, and usually good priced.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:52 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 276 Likes on 112 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]564412[/ATTACH]
Drop in and go. Top ends have been done with Teague kits.
Attached Thumbnails Advice on re-power options-img_20170104_152210265.jpg