Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Vendor Talk
Beware!!! Mesa racing engines aka mesa balancing >

Beware!!! Mesa racing engines aka mesa balancing

Notices

Beware!!! Mesa racing engines aka mesa balancing

Old 11-07-2019, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Looks like Alot of Trash through the Bearings , was the boat side oiling system cleaned ? Clearances on the bearings look fine , Oil cooler full of shiite ? Oil filter cut open after 5 Hours?
Roller or flat tappet cam ? More to the story here.......
Old 11-07-2019, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
I see no mention of tuning the EFI on dyno or in the boat , was motor EVER tuned after being rebuilt/modded? He mentions water intrusion and signs of SEVERE detonation. Before I put another engine in, I would HIGHLY recommened you tune the efi, check fuel pressure, etc. Smitty
He specifically stated he wanted the same 9.8 CR on motor she he WOULDN'T need to retune..........But also never mentions if it was a "BONE STOCK" rebuild either. Anything but that would need the retune!!!

Whole lots more to this I feels......
Old 11-08-2019, 07:02 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
He specifically stated he wanted the same 9.8 CR on motor she he WOULDN'T need to retune..........But also never mentions if it was a "BONE STOCK" rebuild either. Anything but that would need the retune!!!

Whole lots more to this I feels......
Unless he had this "9.8" tune BEFORE and motor ran perfect THEN was rebuilt identical to before the tune is possibly the culprit IF it wasnt tuned on water. Ive tuned quite a few boats on water in past 10 years, majority of them in past 2 o3 years. Ive see **** burn down lean, seen pig rich, seen low fuel pressure, bad sensors and its not always top to bottom. Its usuaually at hard throttle ranges above 3800/4000. Probably the only mistake Laz made was NOT making it a prerequisite that customer pays him to tune it in the boat after its installed.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by axm0z5h
Had an engine built by Mesa at a cost of over $8000 for an SBC shortblock and customer provided heads to be checked and freshened. After 15 hours of low RPM break-in the top end blew apart when finally giving it some gas. I figured they would at least cover the labor and I could provide parts. Nope, didn't stand by their product and made every excuse why it was anyone's fault but their own ,and gave me a quote of 5-8K to fix it with a 60 day warranty. I spoke with Comp Cams and had the engine inspected by a 2 reputable builders. Also it sat at his shop for 5 WEEKS when he promised a tear down and inspection in a couple days. So a few things done completely wrong...

-No build sheet was provided whatsoever.
-We specifically required 9.8:1 compression for the Mercury efi system with the OEM Merc tune which never had any issues, it was in all the paperwork we provided for the build that is still folded up in the sealed envelope that was given back to us unopened. Wrong thickness of head gasket. tt was far too thick which put the compression too low. this low compression caused the detonation he spoke about in his emails to me.
-Valves buried so far in the head that it ruined the heads including a cracked valve seat which was supposed to have been magnafluxed.
-Mismatched rocker studs of various lengths..were supposed to be new
-Main bearings not clearance and were toast...see pic below.
-Re-used old beehive springs with light pressure. Heavier valves were used by you and this caused valve float
-Wrong pushrod length..by the way you said you sold my OEM pushrods to someone and i never received that credit on my bill
-Valve terrain exploded after it bound up.

looking at those bearings i would suspect that the oil cooler&lines were full of trash from a previous engine failure.i don,t see how that could be the engine builders fault.if this is the case it clearly lands on the boat owner for not replacing the cooler&oil lines.jmo.
The following 2 users liked this post by mike tkach:
Griff (12-02-2020), obnoxus (12-11-2020)
Old 11-08-2019, 09:33 AM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Not judging, just some history, looks like the OP has lots of other issues with other engines too, these from Merc:
383 stroker longevity
Old 11-08-2019, 12:27 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Not judging, just some history, looks like the OP has lots of other issues with other engines too, these from Merc:
383 stroker longevity
same engine?
Old 11-08-2019, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 143 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by offshoredrillin
same engine?
If it’s the same oil cooler that would explain a lot. Not judging just curious about the final conclusion.
Old 11-08-2019, 01:43 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,295 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja Rooster

If it’s the same oil cooler that would explain a lot. Not judging just curious about the final conclusion.
I agree, a freind that is an engine builder have 2 of his get re installed half assed and it bit him in the rear. he said never again, or they sign a waiver.
Old 11-09-2019, 06:52 AM
Member #154
Platinum Member

Received 864 Likes on 317 Posts

Hey OP, don't disappear. You posted publicly, you're getting questions you need to answer.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:51 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

OP states SBC shortblock so I am lost here or miss reading the post - my questions are if and who finished out the shortblock ?? was a new oil pump and pick up installed by the installer not the engine builder since it was a shortbllock ?? - what was the condition of the oil PAN and what about windage ? how old was the complete ignition system ? How old was all the cooling components ? was the old water circ pump used ?

What was timing set at and verified at ?? what octane fuel was used ?

Was the engine properly and fully oiled pre lubed just before any engine start ups ? What motor oil was used and did you verify engine oil pressure and not buy a 20 year old oil pressure gauge on the dash ?

If an EFI engine was the injectors professionally tested and deemed 100 percent good ?

Was the engine broken in correctly and when was the first oil and filter changed after the rebuild ?

Kills me when people get a new or reman shortblock or long block and go back in with all the old chit the bad motor had on and most of the time all that old chit is from day one - like crusty old t stat and housing - 20 year exhaust old risers and manifolds - 20 year old water circ pump - year old gas in the gas tank . 20 year old fuel pumps and regulator and 20 year old injectors just thrown back in also 20 year old ignition system and so on.

Then its even more of a laugh when they say yes I changed the spark plugs but nothing else got changed, "it all looked good " - looking good and operating 100 % correctly for ignition components, oiling components, cooling components should not even be in the same sentenence and the same goes for the fuel system .

Also for the record OEM STOCK SMALL BLOCKS do not have motor oil coolers and the comp ratios depending on the years were 9.4 to 1 and some lower comp ratios.

Last edited by BUP; 11-09-2019 at 11:15 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.