525 EFI, PCM wanted >

525 EFI, PCM wanted

Notices

525 EFI, PCM wanted

Old 09-13-2018, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 525 EFI, PCM wanted

I need a working PCM for a 2008 Merc 525EFI. My fuel pump relay won't shut off after the key and engine is off. I was told by Innovation Marine that it's the PCM and it is a common issue.
I have my doubt, but I need a used, working module. Don't care about the internal log or codes, I'll keep the old one for data.
Thanks
P
Old 09-13-2018, 02:41 PM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Don't have one, but the PCM supplies a ground to the coil on the relay to energize,

Have you tried swapping relays (MPR with FP)?
Would also check connection from the relay to the PCM. I don't have the diagram for the 525 but I'm sure someone else her does so you could see if the wire might just have a short.
Old 09-13-2018, 03:49 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

the PCM turns on the MPR. And it is not uncommon for the issue you have. I repair ECMs and PCMs --- also alot of 525s have issues with current so I would need your engine serial numbers and then direct from there the proper fix for that end as it should be done after repairing the PCM so it does not happen again or cause another issue within the PCM..

Many things can knock out a pcm - OVERALL across the board for marine ecms / Pcms --- poor connections and or corrosion for any or all battery power and grounds are the number ONE cause for internal failure.

Last edited by BUP; 09-13-2018 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-13-2018, 04:11 PM
Registered

Innovation in Sarasota, I'm in California, They told me they tried to swap relays etc. Want me to buy a new PCM for $1800. NOT doing it. Trying to sell the boat, needs to be right, but I have some issues with Innovation. (not getting into it here)
BUP, I can get you the serial no. a bit later. Everything else works fine on the PCM, and everywhere else. I just turn off the battery switch and the fuel pumps stops, but Scotty (Salesmen) at Suncoast have a concern.
THx
Old 09-14-2018, 12:20 AM
BUP
Banned

It prob is the PCM as your issue. I have a boat in NOW that the engine ( PCM 555 ) will not shut off at the key switch nor pulling the kill lanyard --- BUT turn battery selector switch off and yes that shuts off the engine .For this app in my hands --- I am 1000 percent know what it is internally in the PCM and know how to fix it. .

For you --- My best guess without looking at it --- its your PCM causing YOUR ISSUE. You can send me the PCM if need to === average cost range 600 to 800 bucks for PCM repairs.and again If applicable the voltage issues with the 525 depending on the engine serial numbers.

2 years ago --- I fixed a ECM 555 in a 2005 Merc 5.7 HO that as soon as you turned ON the battery selector switch -- the fuel pump would run with NO KEY even in the ignition ever. The fuel pump would not turn off ever until you turned off the battery selector switch. The issue was internally in the ECM.. I did fix it and he is still boating 2 years later. He was local.

FOR YOU --- First and foremost change the fuel pump relay to see what happens as that is a cheap POSSIBLE fix ( test) but again IMO its the PCM

Last edited by BUP; 09-14-2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-24-2018, 06:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by BUP
It prob is the PCM as your issue. I have a boat in NOW that the engine ( PCM 555 ) will not shut off at the key switch nor pulling the kill lanyard --- BUT turn battery selector switch off and yes that shuts off the engine .For this app in my hands --- I am 1000 percent know what it is internally in the PCM and know how to fix it. .

For you --- My best guess without looking at it --- its your PCM causing YOUR ISSUE. You can send me the PCM if need to === average cost range 600 to 800 bucks for PCM repairs.and again If applicable the voltage issues with the 525 depending on the engine serial numbers.

2 years ago --- I fixed a ECM 555 in a 2005 Merc 5.7 HO that as soon as you turned ON the battery selector switch -- the fuel pump would run with NO KEY even in the ignition ever. The fuel pump would not turn off ever until you turned off the battery selector switch. The issue was internally in the ECM.. I did fix it and he is still boating 2 years later. He was local.

FOR YOU --- First and foremost change the fuel pump relay to see what happens as that is a cheap POSSIBLE fix ( test) but again IMO its the PCM
OK. we might do a repair. After talking to Merc racing, they feel it's just a grounding issue with the sender/driver to the fuel pump relay.(inside the unit)
Call me when you got a minute after 5:00 PM California time.
Thx
P
Old 09-24-2018, 06:50 PM
BUP
Banned

Thanks and yes possible for the issue it lost its internal ground. And yes thats internally in the PCM. It has to be opened up and testing procedures performed., just some info.

Ill call you in a hour or so.