Notices

Cord Winder

Old 04-29-2023, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 799 Likes on 446 Posts
Default Cord Winder

Guys,

Back in the day, we used to have these coming out our ears:

These are the best rope winder I’ve ever used. They are sturdy, hold a fair bit of rope, store relatively compact, and allow the rope to breathe and dry out.

I cannot find them now. Anywhere. They are vapor in the interwebs today. And those that I can find all suck. They’re either flimsy or are a PITA to wind/unwind the rope.

I currently have two, and I guard them like they are the keys to a vault with my soul in it. I’d really like to find a few more.

Anybody know what’s become or them? Anybody sell them under some trade name?

Thanks. Brad.
(937)545-8991

Last edited by Brad Christy; 05-01-2023 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-15-2024, 06:32 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good ol' days
Old 04-15-2024, 06:41 PM
Registered

No kidding. I even went so far as to track down the patent attorney that serviced the patent, hoping they might have some insight as to who owns the molds. I actually have a local place that was willing to set up the molds and make a batch. Nothing. Gone.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:50 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 949 Likes on 478 Posts

Grainger
Not exactly the same but....

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-16-2024, 11:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Brad Christy
And those that I can find all suck. They’re either flimsy or are a PITA to wind/unwind the rope.

Thanks. Brad.
Originally Posted by Wally
Grainger
Not exactly the same but....
Wally,

Yeah. Those are the ones, and some others similar, are the ones that suck I was talking about.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 04-16-2024, 11:59 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Im guessing the plastic they used to make those is getting brittle as they age and breaking. Have you tried to copy a set out of some 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood? Round off the edges with a router?

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 04-16-2024, 12:08 PM
Registered

Im guessing the plastic they used to make those is getting brittle as they age and breaking. Have you tried to copy a set out of some 3/4" Baltic Birch plywood? Round off the edges with a router?
Wally,

While that would be cool (I'm a sucker for real, natural wood), no, I haven't. But I HAVE considered machining some from Delrin. I wouldn't need to include the little indents for grip on the handle or the material saving threnching. Just the outside shape would suffice. Still considering it. I accidentally stepped on one and snapped a tip off one end, and it sent me into an apoplectic rage for a hot minute.

Thanks. Brad.
Old 04-16-2024, 12:17 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Wally,

While that would be cool (I'm a sucker for real, natural wood), no, I haven't. But I HAVE considered machining some from Delrin. I wouldn't need to include the little indents for grip on the handle or the material saving threnching. Just the outside shape would suffice. Still considering it. I accidentally stepped on one and snapped a tip off one end, and it sent me into an apoplectic rage for a hot minute.

Thanks. Brad.
I dont know how much "meat" there is in that plastic part but maybe drill it out for a steel pin as a backer and some plastic glue and fix it?

Old 04-16-2024, 12:21 PM
Registered

I dont know how much "meat" there is in that plastic part but maybe drill it out for a steel pin as a backer and some plastic glue and fix it?
Wally,

Have we met....? It's almost as if you know me.

I've been thinking about making a pair of aluminum splints, one on either side, with small screws to hold it all together. Hold on to your hat.....

I do this sort of thing all the time. My wife thinks I'm nuts sometimes. But when you've got something that really works, and you can't find a replacement....

Thanks. Brad.
The following users liked this post:
Wally (04-16-2024)
Old 04-16-2024, 02:56 PM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Wally,

Have we met....? It's almost as if you know me.

I've been thinking about making a pair of aluminum splints, one on either side, with small screws to hold it all together. Hold on to your hat.....

I do this sort of thing all the time. My wife thinks I'm nuts sometimes. But when you've got something that really works, and you can't find a replacement....

Thanks. Brad.
Its the machinist/macguyver in me