Just bought my first performance boat, a 23 xri big lake >

Just bought my first performance boat, a 23 xri big lake

Notices

Just bought my first performance boat, a 23 xri big lake

Old 01-31-2010, 12:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought my first performance boat, a 23 xri big lake

I just bought my first performance boat, a 1996 Warlock 23 xri open bow. I will not get to go pick it up for 2 weeks and I can't wait. I'm new to the performance boat world other than an old glastron jet I had. I'm having a hard time finding info on these boats. How many were made and is each one a custom job? It has a stock 454 HIPO with bravo 3 drive I am expecting high 60's maybe 70. Is that realistic?
Old 01-31-2010, 01:04 AM
Registered

My wife demanded a bowrider. We looked at baja's for a while and came close to buying one, but we both fell in love with the warlock. Man it looks mean. With two children and lots of other family, running the boat in a lake in Arkansas, it seems like the perfect boat for us. I want to add some speed goodies at some point, but for now I'm sure we'll just run it stock for awhile.
Old 02-22-2010, 11:47 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats! So have you picked it up yet? It really has a Bravo III, with dualprops? If so, 70 might be a stretch. Either way it's a good first step, don't spend too much $$ because you'll want a bigger faster boat by the end of the summer
Old 03-03-2010, 02:15 PM
Registered

Thanks, We love the boat, wonderful ride and spacious. Took it up to about 65 and it seemed to have some left. I don't know what mods the previous owner has done, but it does have cmi headers on it. A 23' on our lake is considered a pretty big boat. There are a couple of 25's but you don't see much larger. There surely won't be another one like it in southwest Arkansas. Can't wait for warmer weather, when we picked it up in Havasu it was 80 when I got home it was in the 20's. I've been cleaning on it, man those magic erasers really are awesome. Taking it to the merc mechanic next week to have a thorough going over. Couldn't be happier with the boat right now. Come on summertime.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 23 XRI was a bit of a take off on Warlock's "Offshore" series hulls which all had a lot of gunnel height. Very deep V and I believe that you could get the XRI from 1995 to about 2005. Many of those hulls came with Bravo 3 drive. If your hull is an early 1996 was that a Team Warlock or the later Ultimate Warlock?

Here is a pic ..........
Attached Thumbnails Just bought my first performance boat, a 23 xri big lake-03warlock23xri.jpg  
Old 03-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by GregGuimond
The 23 XRI was a bit of a take off on Warlock's "Offshore" series hulls which all had a lot of gunnel height. Very deep V and I believe that you could get the XRI from 1995 to about 2005. Many of those hulls came with Bravo 3 drive. If your hull is an early 1996 was that a Team Warlock or the later Ultimate Warlock?

Here is a pic ..........
It's an ultimate, were there any differences other than the name?
Old 04-02-2010, 09:01 AM
Registered

Finally got to run the boat on my home lake yesterday for a couple of hours.

70 mph at 5800 rpm WOT
Couldn't be more pleased the throttle response straightened out with good gas and injector cleaner.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:23 PM
Registered

5800 rpm seem really high for that engine. I believe they shouldn't be ran past 5k? Unless it's not stock. You may want to look at proping up a few pitches.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Caydens Cat
5800 rpm seem really high for that engine. I believe they shouldn't be ran past 5k? Unless it's not stock. You may want to look at proping up a few pitches.
I wish I knew what has been done to the motor. I don't believe it is stock, but haven't been able to find out from the charity that sold it, even the previous owners name, much less the build specs. The only thing I see on the outside is the cmi headers.
Old 04-05-2010, 03:23 PM
Registered

What is a 454 "HIPO" - are you referring to a Marine Power 454 Hi Performance? If so, 390 hp at 4800 rpm. Again, if your tach is right - 5800rpm is looking for trouble unless your set up to run so high.