Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Western US/Lake Havasu (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/western-us-lake-havasu-221/)
-   -   lake havasu (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/western-us-lake-havasu/248635-lake-havasu.html)

450RRRR 03-02-2011 02:11 PM

lake havasu

im 46 years old and maybe looking for a change in my life.was thinking of relocateing fom florida west coast to lake havasu city..never even been there...tell me what i should know..im sure there is a good and bad side of town..any work..part owner of a a/c company here..not ready to retire yet.just in general everything i have read is good...want to spend more time on my boat and less time doing everything else..tell me anything...good or bad ..thanks

derrickc 03-02-2011 04:30 PM

Great place during the summer months for boating. You may be surprised how small it is coming from Florida. Check out riverforums.com

boatcrzy 03-02-2011 06:40 PM

Havasu

Like every place else there are good and bad. Gets blazing hot in the summer, like 120+. If you are on the lake it is all good. We spend alot of time their, (have a house), and love it. Maybe because I know I dont have to stay there full time?? I would take a trip and spend some time, you might love it or not.

Dave

vegaskeith 03-02-2011 08:21 PM

Check out desert storm shoot out in April.

ShadBurke 03-02-2011 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by 450RRRR (Post 3340259)
im 46 years old and maybe looking for a change in my life.was thinking of relocateing fom florida west coast to lake havasu city..never even been there...tell me what i should know..im sure there is a good and bad side of town..any work..part owner of a a/c company here..not ready to retire yet.just in general everything i have read is good...want to spend more time on my boat and less time doing everything else..tell me anything...good or bad ..thanks

Summer is great. From April to October specifically. Outside those months, the bllue haired snow birds arrive in serious numbers with their RVs and relax. Not much happening in the off-season. I wouldn't be happy there, but that's just me.

If you are into the "older" crowd, depends briefs, eating dinner at 4pm, and going to walmart as an official outing for the day, then during the winter, this might be the just the place for you.......

Havasu summers aren't like they once were. Adult movies being filmed on the lake with anybody filling in as an "extra", laxed clothing rules, MTV, etc. etc. .......

O well, life moves on I guess. :o)

:o)

PokerRun388 03-02-2011 11:23 PM

everyone has given you great info.... Its the low desert, so very hot summers, and cold/chilly evenings in the winter... never snows, rarely rains and is a very small town in the middle of the desert.... nearest major airport is Vegas,, so anyone visiting you from FL will have to fly into Las Vegas,, and drive 2hrs to Havasu.. so that sucks.... Houses are cheap their now,, some 60 to 70 boat deep garages etc.....My parents live their and I'll be there next week.. 60s day and low 40s at nite.... summers 110 to 115 from mid june to early sept... 80s at nite...way way different boating from anything you'll see in FL .boats are alot smaller,,.. its a quiet,, small community if thats what your looking for....weekends in the summer months the towns very crowded with Cali ppl, however during the week its very quiet.......

You should fly in Las Vegas,, rent a car and come visit for Desert Storm Poker Run april 27/30 and look around....

two communities you can google are very nice,, 1 is gated and my parents live there.... here they are...

Canterbury Estates, Lake Havasu
LakeSide Estates, Lake Havasu

Also if your just looking for a 2nd home and want to visit but still live in FL check these mobil homes out,,,

Islander RV Resort, Lake Havasu City, AZ
(they have a private launch ramp) very clean, very nice...

Keep us Posted!!:drink:

thisistank 03-02-2011 11:47 PM

All good advise.

Why are you looking to leave Sarasota? And what are you expectations of Havasu? What type of boating do you do? Long distance, party float, destination boating, etc?

Being in the AC business, you'll be good to go with work out there I would think. Other than that, there's not much "industry" to speak of out there.

Having spent a LOT of time in Havasu and some time in Sarasota and Ft. Myers, I'd say you would not like Havasu. Completely different worlds. Havasu is very small. It's super crazy packed all summer with tourists and it's actually pretty packed in the winter with the "snow birds". You're used to the heat in Fl. so I don't know if the 120 dry desert heat of July/Aug would bother you so much.

As others have said, Desert Storm is the premier event of Havasu and you will definately have a great time, but if you truely want to see the city, come in May - Sept/Oct. Desert Storm isn't really a true depiction of the city/lake.

450RRRR 03-03-2011 12:29 PM

thanks eveyone for the info...
as far as dealling with the blue hairs ..well i do it everyday here in sarasota.i normally working on long boat key...nothing but retiries..
temp wise 115 cant be much worse than our 95 with 95% humidity.
one said smaller boats..i just have a 27 donzi..cant think that would be a problem..do i need mufflers
how do people use the lake ..to boat or to float....are there places to open them up...really how big is this lake
i have been in this area for almost 25 years....just looking for a change...dont want to have to worry about a hurricane blowing my house down or flooding it out..or not being able to get insurance.....ect...ect....
i m from a small indiana farm town...i would nt mind being back in that small town feel...i just dont want to go to indiana to get it,looking at population stats from the last census.well it looked very good place to be

any twisting roads to take the bike on

thisistank 03-03-2011 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by 450RRRR (Post 3341188)
thanks eveyone for the info...
as far as dealling with the blue hairs ..well i do it everyday here in sarasota.i normally working on long boat key...nothing but retiries..
temp wise 115 cant be much worse than our 95 with 95% humidity.
one said smaller boats..i just have a 27 donzi..cant think that would be a problem..do i need mufflers
how do people use the lake ..to boat or to float....are there places to open them up...really how big is this lake
i have been in this area for almost 25 years....just looking for a change...dont want to have to worry about a hurricane blowing my house down or flooding it out..or not being able to get insurance.....ect...ect....
i m from a small indiana farm town...i would nt mind being back in that small town feel...i just dont want to go to indiana to get it,looking at population stats from the last census.well it looked very good place to be

any twisting roads to take the bike on

Ha! Well, I stand corrected! I figured the blue hairs wouldn't bother you being from Sarasota and the heat wont kill you being used to some brutal summers there.

And no, you don't have to worry about flooding (for the most part, there's tsunami's every once in a while but rarely do any real damage) and of course no hurricanes.

The lake is something like 30 miles long with out going into the river. There's all sorts of styles of boating you can do. On any "non crazy weekend" (holidays/poker runs) you can find coves to wake board, tube, you can find people rafted up partying in various parts of the lake or chillin in the channel, you can go explore the upper river which you can actually get to Laughlin by (but it gets dicey with sand bars after Topac).

It actually sounds like Havasu might have what you're looking for. Not to mention as Pokerrun388 pointed out, the housing market is pretty good there right now (for buyers). I definately recommend coming out for Desert Storm but also coming out on a regular summer weekend.

Good luck, keep us posted.

STV_Keith 03-03-2011 08:41 PM

The big thing for you, not ready to retire, is that the job market there sucks. I love vacationing there as much as possible on the weekends with my short 2.5hr drive from Vegas, but I couldn't live there. No decent paying jobs there unless your in the medical field or something, and even then it's iffy.

ElimiNordic 03-05-2011 10:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I am no expert about Havasu having only been here a couple of days, but from a boating perspective, this place is way too small. I had heard about this place and saw it on tv and thought it sounded great, but in a fast boat, you would tire of this little lake quickly. I like to run fast and hard and can cover this lake in a few mins. The neat thing about Havasu is there are performance boats, shops and like minded people everywhere. But to live here and retire here compared to where you are now.... I guess the grass does always look greener elsewhere...

Attachment 442101

Haley'sComet 03-05-2011 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic (Post 3342842)
I am no expert about Havasu having only been here a couple of days, but from a boating perspective, this place is way too small. I had heard about this place and saw it on tv and thought it sounded great, but in a fast boat, you would tire of this little lake quickly. I like to run fast and hard and can cover this lake in a few mins. The neat thing about Havasu is there are performance boats, shops and like minded people everywhere. But to live here and retire here compared to where you are now.... I guess the grass does always look greener elsewhere...

Attachment 442101

WOW!

I had always thought the same way that you did, in the fact that Lake Havasu was a much bigger lake than described.

I'm still going to try and make it out for Desert Storm but what does everyone do when the lake is crowded and you want to go for a full-blast run?

Wait until early morning??

Have fun ElimiNordic, wish I was there right now!

ElimiNordic 03-05-2011 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by Haley'sComet (Post 3342892)
WOW!

I had always thought the same way that you did, in the fact that Lake Havasu was a much bigger lake than described.

I'm still going to try and make it out for Desert Storm but what does everyone do when the lake is crowded and you want to go for a full-blast run?

Wait until early morning??

Have fun ElimiNordic, wish I was there right now!

It looks like people here are into sitting and showing off more than riding. It would have to be rough in the summer with all the boats and the small size. According to Tim from Oregon Custom Marine, there are tons of MTI and Skaters etc here form the west coast guys and they all come here to play. I am getting ready to go tear up the water and will post some pictures.

Uncle Dave 03-05-2011 11:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)

Attachment 442101

Too bad you didnt have anyone to show you the lake.
It took me years to do it and I lived there.

"Lake Havasu" is just one of the colorado chain.

"Havasu"- runs all the way from the springs to the tip of Davis Dam. 90-135miles one way.

You can boat all the way from the Springs to Laughlin, gamble and eat for an hour and head back in one day before the sun goes down - thats a run.

That enough room to stretch its legs?

Then an hour or so by car have lake Mojave thats 75 miles from Catherines Landing to the Hoover dam for a 130 mile roundtrip. Mojave blows out in the afternoon wind with 4-5 footers. Youll either get some good float in or get beat to death.

Go google earth the run.

Now to live there......

I had a house in the keys in parker for a decade I know the place.

As far as living in the summer you'd better in the ac business or in the water because it gets stupid hot and stays that way.

and dry? .....Ive seen trees chasing dogs.

Floridians are shocked in my experience -
Yes they handle heat with Floridas sweltering summers and ridiculous humidity- but one type of heat does NOT equal the other.

In the summer months it does not cool at ALL at night maybe a few degrees. so at night you get 108 and in the day 112 for months.

Some people that can be comfortable in Florida just aren't in Havasu.

My advice would be to RENT a place for a summer season and check it out that way. This way you get to live it before committing to it.

Uncle Dave

RunninHotRacing163.1 03-05-2011 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3342917)
Too bad you didnt have anyone to show you the lake.
It took me years to do it and I lived there.

"Lake Havasu" is just one of the colorado chain.

"Havasu"- runs all the way from the springs to the tip of Davis Dam. 90-135miles one way.

You can boat all the way from the Springs to Laughlin, gamble and eat for an hour and head back in one day before the sun goes down - thats a run.

That enough room to stretch its legs?

Then an hour or so by car have lake Mojave thats 75 miles from Catherines Landing to the Hoover dam for a 130 mile roundtrip. Mojave blows out in the afternoon wind with 4-5 footers. Youll either get some good float in or get beat to death.

Go google earth the run.

Now to live there......

I had a house in the keys in parker for a decade I know the place.

As far as living in the summer you'd better in the ac business or in the water because it gets stupid hot and stays that way.

and dry? .....Ive seen trees chasing dogs.

Floridians are shocked in my experience -
Yes they handle heat with Floridas sweltering summers and ridiculous humidity- but one type of heat does NOT equal the other.

In the summer months it does not cool at ALL at night maybe a few degrees. so at night you get 108 and in the day 112 for months.

Some people that can be comfortable in Florida just aren't in Havasu.

My advice would be to RENT a place for a summer season and check it out that way. This way you get to live it before committing to it.

Uncle Dave

+1
bought property there sight unseen and decided to go down there a year later and check things out and start making some plans to start moving there :eek: it was a fathers day weekend and temps hit 122 degrees hotel pool was 80,hotel lawn chairs and concrete was scorchin,a quick boat ride to the Sand Bar was even hottt, and the lake water was like a friggin hottt tub. after a 3 minute discussion with the wife it was back to the plane in Havazoo and easterly bound ....it seemed like all the boats rolled in friday afternoon & eve and were gone by Sunday at noon. the Sand Bar is the coolest :cool-smiley-027:but thats one of those places very cool to visit but just could'nt live there :drink:

Uncle Dave 03-05-2011 12:54 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Im glad you posted that because people always think Im exaggerating.

(BTW - I would love to experience your boat on this chain and can show you around next time you come out if we can find a way to get together. or Ill supply the ride. )

YOu are also painting a more accurate temperature picture than I am because people simply dont believe the number much less know what it feels like.

It really does get in the 120s often.

You cant even boat without a bimini you will simply burn alive.
Its like a convection oven you need to get in the water every 15-20 minutes and Soak down then it will dry completely in a few miles.

Here is a screenshot from a trip from Catherine's to Hoover this summer- it was 115 all day and the faster we went the faster it even hotter it was like a convection oven.

My Buddy blew a vertical shaft on his outboard and I stepped up and took his family out that day and to get everyones mind off a broken boat I decided on a full dam run.

Plus my bimini can really only take about 80 and at one point a gust of wind tore the METAL on the back strap. All that saved it was the fact that it is a superb metal rod type with full accon hardware.

UD

RunninHotRacing163.1 03-05-2011 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3342963)
Im glad you posted that because people always think Im exaggerating.

(BTW - I would love to experience your boat on this chain and can show you around next time you come out if we can find a way to get together. or Ill supply the ride. )

YOu are also painting a more accurate temperature picture than I am because people simply dont believe the number much less know what it feels like.

It really does get in the 120s often.

You cant even boat without a bimini you will simply burn alive.
Its like a convection oven you need to get in the water every 15-20 minutes and Soak down then it will dry completely in a few miles.

Here is a screenshot from a trip from Catherine's to Hoover this summer- it was 115 all day and the faster we went the faster hotter it got.

My Buddy blew a vertical shaft on his outboard and I stepped up and took his family out that day and to get everyones mind off a broken boat I decided on a full dam run.

Plus my bimini can really only take about 80 and at one point a gust of wind tore the METAL on the back strap. All that saved it was the fact that it is a superb metal rod type with full accon hardware.

UD

you are exaggerating NOT !!!!!!

the ride to the Sand Bar in 122 degrees felt like a Sauna and the lake was not refreshing at all (only the cold beer in the cooler) the day after we flew out of Havazoo airport back east it was 128 degrees :eek: not much fun unless your in a swimming pool up to your neck in water :coolcowboy: i've been back up there in Dec & Jan when we think its beautiful at 80 degrees and the locals at the chanel are in hooded sweatshirts drinkin beer freezin there azzs off :lolhit:seems like the cops are always lookin to hassle got a ticket at the Sand Bar and another at the channel for swimming across and not walking all the way around :angry-smiley-038: on the brite side being that hott the chiks wear next to nuthin :drink:

Uncle Dave 03-05-2011 01:32 PM

Its one of the nicest <remote> 3 season towns around though.

To whoever said it empties on Sunday is right.

This is because most of the cities traffic comes from La, Phoenix, or Vegas- then goes home on Sunday.

Ive made that sunday drive home for well over 25 years now.

Uncle Dave

RunninHotRacing163.1 03-05-2011 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Dave (Post 3342978)
Its one of the nicest <remote> 3 season towns around though.

To whoever said it empties on Sunday is right. This is because most of the cities traffic comes from La, Phoenix, or Vegas- then goes home on Sunday.

Ive made that sunday drive home for well over 25 years now.

Uncle Dave

we left Mira Loma on a friday late afternoon and that right hand lane was a solid line of trailers & boats all heading to Havazoo for the weekend , a holiday weekend during season would have to be insane :eek: its still a beautiful place & body of water and can't wait to make the run to Laughlin again .:boat:

JAIME 03-06-2011 01:00 AM

talkin about heat, any idea about how hot it will be in April for D.S? Thanks Jaime

boatcrzy 03-06-2011 04:14 PM

Havasu heat

It will probably be in the 80's nice out that time of year. Water is still cold. Last year it rained, for the boat parade in town. so could get a mix of stuff?? It is a great time, most everyone is there to have a good time, and play. We are going up Wed. ought to be a kick. Dave

Powerquest_Baby!! 03-07-2011 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by JAIME (Post 3343316)
talkin about heat, any idea about how hot it will be in April for D.S? Thanks Jaime

Ive been to DS 2007,2008 and 2010. Typically temps are around 90 degrees there but in 2007 it was over 100 almost every day...Last year (2010) was a fluke to have rain for the street fair parade and such cool temps (I think the street fair had a high temp of 75 that day!) Expect 90-95 this year! Its supposed to be close to 90 this weekend down there.

ElimiNordic 03-07-2011 07:03 PM

It is supposed to get warm this weekend, but remember it still gets real cold at night and I mean right after the sun goes down. We were out one day and it was real nice and hot, then the sun started going down and it got cold in the breeze and you wanted to get off the water quickly. The water here is beyond cold, it is just like thawing snow ice water, which I guess it is. It just slaps you in the face when you try and get in.

Racer's wife 03-07-2011 07:37 PM

Double your fun this April & join POPRA for the Lake Havasu Boat Show/Offshore Race/Enduro 300

Powerquest_Baby!! 03-09-2011 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic (Post 3344680)
It is supposed to get warm this weekend, but remember it still gets real cold at night and I mean right after the sun goes down. We were out one day and it was real nice and hot, then the sun started going down and it got cold in the breeze and you wanted to get off the water quickly. The water here is beyond cold, it is just like thawing snow ice water, which I guess it is. It just slaps you in the face when you try and get in.

Lol! I think alot depends on where you are from. Im from Seattle (the land of cool temps)...Even in July our water temps are in the upper 60's! I swim every year in Havasu at Desert Storm and the water feels great! You are probably used to much warmer water...

ElimiNordic 03-09-2011 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!! (Post 3346293)
Lol! I think alot depends on where you are from. Im from Seattle (the land of cool temps)...Even in July our water temps are in the upper 60's! I swim every year in Havasu at Desert Storm and the water feels great! You are probably used to much warmer water...

We rented a 15mph pontoon today to kill time while waiting on our new boat to be fixed and even though it was a hot sunny day, as soon as we started rocketing across the water at full throttle, it was cold as hell today.
:boat:
My wife jumped in and found the water to contain big chunks of ice below the surface. You can keep your snow melt water.

HTRDLNCN 03-09-2011 11:03 PM

While I have never beeen to Havasu I can comment on the temps
because when I moved from humid but mild south Florida (85-90 tops) to dry but hot (110+ in aug) central Texas it is MUCH hotter,
I dont care if its a dry heat , so is a furnace..
In florida coast you almost always have a breeze that cools you down in the shade, here the breeze is hot in or out of the shade , imagine Havasu is the same.

PokerRun388 03-12-2011 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by ElimiNordic (Post 3342897)
It looks like people here are into sitting and showing off more than riding. It would have to be rough in the summer with all the boats and the small size. According to Tim from Oregon Custom Marine, there are tons of MTI and Skaters etc here form the west coast guys and they all come here to play. I am getting ready to go tear up the water and will post some pictures.

Very Rarely do u see an MTI or Skater on Havasu outside of Desert Storm.... The town gets excited for the street party bcuz these boats normally only come out 1 time per/yr... These are big money boats and the majority of these ppl live elsewhere.... not sure wat oregonmarine's talking about....

Uncle Dave 03-12-2011 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by PokerRun388 (Post 3348734)
Very Rarely do u see an MTI or Skater on Havasu outside of Desert Storm.... The town gets excited for the street party bcuz these boats normally only come out 1 time per/yr... These are big money boats and the majority of these ppl live elsewhere.... not sure wat oregonmarine's talking about....

Sort of.

You got a lot of money in LA Pheonix and Scottsdale too.

Thing is you get the West Coast version of the same thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeRlVpcirIQ

Didnt this Daytona win dessert storm in 09? what 173or 177?

Havasu is constantly prowling with wicked craft of all names- some alarmingly so.

Then you get the stuff that goes from -0- to that in a few seconds on the same water all over.

You also get much more drag boat action than you do anywhere that I know of in the East when you drop down to the parker strip which is really fun as well.

Some of the stuff out here is simply ridiculous and highly entertaining.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMfrt...eature=related

Its a great place for 2 seasons ok for one and absolute hell on earth in the summer .

Uncle Dave

PokerRun388 03-12-2011 01:42 PM

Attachment 442101

I agree 100% Dan.... Its super small for a boat your size and larger....their isn't any open water to run for long-distance... just run to the springs and back....in your baot that takes like 15mins lol.... then nowhere else to go.. haha

local805 03-18-2011 12:55 AM

Just Wondering How Many People Responding To This Post Have Actually Lived In Havasu???

thisistank 03-18-2011 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by local805 (Post 3353123)
Just Wondering How Many People Responding To This Post Have Actually Lived In Havasu???

Don't get sensitive Mike! :eek::drink::drink:

See you at DS.

Uncle Dave 03-18-2011 09:23 PM

Parker close enough?

Uncle Dave

Dkahnjob 03-18-2011 10:57 PM

I have been boating on Lake Havasu for over 40 years. I own a house here, but live in West Hills (Los Angeles area) and I am also in the air conditioning business. Most of what has been written is very accurate. I currently have a 27' boat and that is a good size boat for the lake. I had a 35' Fountain and sold it a couple of years ago. Although it was great on the lake there aren't any slips for a boat that size, so I had to pull it out of the water every night and that got old. One 4th of July I made the run from Parker dam to Davis dam, it took all day and was a blast. There are lots of places to go and lots of things to do. You can always find a quiet cove to anchor in and hang out no matter how crowded the lake gets.

I love it here and could live here, but my wife says no!

There are a lot of other things to do here, very active hot rod community, at least 3 active car clubs, lots of Jeep and 4 wheel drive stuff to do in the winter. It is kind of a heaven for a gear head. Nice air port and active aviation community too.
I fly back and forth (beats driving).
Come check it out, you won't be disappointed.

local805 03-19-2011 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3353729)

See you at DS.

NOT SENSETIVE,BUT PRETTY FUNNY TO READ,YA KNOW.FIND A BOAT YET FOR DS?????LOTS OF DEALS OUT THERE!!!

local805 03-19-2011 01:22 AM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3353729)

See you at DS.

NOT SENSITIVE,BUT PRETTY FUNNY TO READ,YA KNOW.FIND A BOAT YET FOR DS?????LOTS OF DEALS OUT THERE!!!

thisistank 03-19-2011 01:28 AM

Originally Posted by local805 (Post 3353843)
NOT SENSETIVE,BUT PRETTY FUNNY TO READ,YA KNOW.FIND A BOAT YET FOR DS?????LOTS OF DEALS OUT THERE!!!

Ha! I know...I was actually thinking you should've weighed in on this thread a long time ago with your experience living there and how you have found it a great experience.

No boat yet. Waiting for a year or so til the kid can enjoy it.

Question is, have YOU found a boat yet?

local805 03-19-2011 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by thisistank (Post 3353847)
Ha! I know...I was actually thinking you should've weighed in on this thread a long time ago with your experience living there and how you have found it a great experience.

No boat yet. Waiting for a year or so til the kid can enjoy it.

Question is, have YOU found a boat yet?

GOT ONE,we had it out today,ILL MAKE YOU LOOK US UP THIS TIME AND YOU WILL SEE IT THEN.!!!!!!!

thisistank 03-19-2011 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by local805 (Post 3353851)
GOT ONE,we had it out today,ILL MAKE YOU LOOK US UP THIS TIME AND YOU WILL SEE IT THEN.!!!!!!!

Wheres the pics? What'd you buy? Get your T/S Gun finally? :drink:

ElimiNordic 03-19-2011 07:35 AM

Never lived there, just visited there once for 10 days. I also have some friends who live there. I am in the a/c business also and I spoke to a local guy about it. He tells me there is big demand for a/c repair people in the summer who want to work instead of play. If you are going to work a/c there, it looks like one would have to work on mobile homes/rv units, which a lot of us will not. One thing I found so cool about this place was the number of hot rods, dirt bikes, dune buggies etc. They are everywhere and I could not go anywhere without seeing a street rod or a performance cat. The number of people there in one small city with like minds to me was boggling. I did not like the restaurant selection nor the lack of potential nightlife activities year round. In the winter you are overrun with snowbirds and in the summer with spring breakers in pasties and thongs, which is not all bad. I am personally not that crazy about boating on a long narrow river. I like wide open space. IMHO