Notices

Moving to California

Old 06-02-2014, 12:13 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Having spent over 20 years in so cal... I can agree with everybody. Don't worry about the 55mph limit when towing. In LA your not going that fast unless its 3:30 AM anyways.As far as expensive, tack a buck a gallon on what your currently paying for gas... Housing, The hood is expensive, everything else is astronomical. A friend sold a glorified double wide (manufactured house) in a neighborhood of 70 identicle units with no yard and a hoa from hell for 396k in less than 48 hours. The place was beat and underpriced. Unless they are paying you well into 6 figures a year, forget it.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deepv29
If boating is truly your passion and the job is just a job, go somewhere for better boating. Here's my 2 cents. Havasu is too hot to enjoy in the summer. 125 is no exaggeration. Now you can sit and drink in the "channel". But a thousand people drinking beer are way to comfortable to get out of the water to pee (the channel is a pretty narrow stretch of beach access water)..... The off season is great in Havasu. Lake Mead is a better boating place as it is much bigger but its a 5 hour drive. Mead is next door to Las Vegas and Henderson so accommodations are easy. I prefer the ocean as there are far less drunken idiots. Catalina is a great day, you just have to watch the wind and wave forecasts. I would say compared to a place like Florida, California can't compete for destinations. If you are willing to drive several hours, performance boating the lakes here is ok. Local lakes regulate speed and most are so small that you have to turn around after 4 seconds of WOT.

As stated above, Long beach is a good day of boating with restaurants and courtesy docks available in the area. And I have to agree with expensive. California is over rated. We may not have an annual hurricane, but we have 100's of days of smog, traffic, fire and smoke season,... As for storing the boat...$100-250 depending on outdoor uncovered to inside with valet service. If its a dream job you are moving for and boating is just a hobby then So Cal can be a very active place with lots to see and do. Good Luck!
Umm really ? it's not that bad, you live in Corona thats not a bad place by any means, deepv29 have you lived anywhere else ?
I have worked in many States and a few Countries over Seas for 20yrs and always cant wait to get home to Ca.
Yes it's crowded here, anywhere on the planet with perfect weather will be crowded, I've lived here my whole life, It depends on how you look at everything in life. Go try to make well into the 7 figures somewhere else and get back to me on that, I know of several that have left Ca. and never saw the income they had when they lived in Ca. and now they can't afford to come back.
Our Beaches and Coasts Lines are the some of the most beautiful in the world, our Mountains and Deserts are also amazing, trust me you won't find these destinations in other states, add we're close to Utah & Arizona.
I have a house in Lake Havasu boating in Havesu is tough to bead, someone mentioned the "Channel" thats a small 1/4 mile strip on both sides of the London Bridge where people party, on Holiday weekends you can avoid the Channel and find several empty coves to hang out in. Also mentioned 125deg. it is very rare and only in the months of July & August. Most of the time its 105-115 which is perfect with 80deg water on the Lake and 70deg water up river. There isn't anyone I've introduced to Havasu that went away saying "this place is too hot or it sucked".

Originally Posted by deepv29
Sounds like a good plan. A 4-5 year project is long enough to love So Cal or learn that you don' care for it. Definitely plan on boating. Mission Bay in San Diego would be a 2 hour trailer drive but lots of water and amenities. A few of the hotels on Harbor Island and Shelter Island have docking and some at the hotels, which are on San Diego Bay. Mission bay has accommodations too. As you come north, Dana Point has launching, courtesy docks and restaurants, Further north is Newport Bay, however its 3 miles of no wake zone to get all the way in. Huntington Harbor (Sunset Aquatic) is my favorite to launch and Davies Locker at Alamitos Bay. All within a couple miles of Long Beach harbor. Rainbow harbor (long Beach) is a small area surrounded by restaurants. If you are gonna end up in Redondo, then Marina Del Rey may be a good launch pad for you. There is also King Harbor right there.

Sounds like a good 5 year plan. A great site for general and forum information on local areas is City-Data.com. Just put in the city you are interested in.
Agreed these are all great places you have mentioned add a weekend in Catalina at Twin Harbors or Avalon and you're hooked, Have a great time with your visit to Ca and when you can get out and see it all.