Pulling up to Tahoe I 80 or 50

Notices

Pulling up to Tahoe I 80 or 50

Old 02-01-2019, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pulling up to Tahoe I 80 or 50

Hey OSO PB Bucket list !!
I’m wanting to pull up to Tahoe this next season. For a vacation will be staying 5 days
Which highway do you prefer I-80 or 50
(2) your best experience on launching 💰💰😳 and parking lot parking and lodging if any.
(3) You’er experience that you can add would be greatly appreciated 👍
I’ll be pulling 2008 292 formula fastech total 10,000 lb With Diesel super duty.,Should be a normal mountain pull - 🐌.
thanks again aka _ FORMULATOR
Old 02-13-2019, 12:51 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 39 Posts

80 Is a interstate. More trucks nice road. 50 Is a smaller road, Some 2 lane some 4 lane. Easy tow either direction.
Old 05-01-2019, 02:11 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure your entire boat is clean and DRY. The Econazis take full advantage of flatlanders attempting to use their precious water. By the time you pay for their inspection and outrageous launch fee's you'll be out $ 150.00 bucks before you see the water. Two years ago regular gas at Tahoe City Chevron was $ 6.99 a gallon. My wife and I once spent at least one and some years two weeks in the Tahoe Keys each summer, since those greedy pricks decided to use the mussel issue as an income enhancement I now take my boating dollars where they are appreciated. That extra fee you paid, and that cute little trailer sticker next to your CF numbers don't mean squat to those high sierra A holes. Told me my boat needed to be decontaminated cause a few drops of water were in the bottom of my boat, charged me an extra 40 bucks to run 140 degree water through my engine, my engine runs 160 all day long, so what good does 140 water do?. You will enjoy the water, once all the extortion money has been paid. I am all for taking all the steps necessary to stop the spread of the quagga and zebra mussels, however I have a problem with organizations attempting to make a profit off of an unfortunate situation.

Last edited by Bubbletop409; 05-01-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 05-29-2019, 11:22 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

There's plenty of water right now, Lake level is high after a bumper winter so no real issues launching anywhere, but in my experience (27' Magnum) the Tahoe City / Lake Forest Coastguard ramp is by far the easiest for access, launch & recovery with ample parking IF you get there early in the day! I would say I80 and then 89 is by far the easier haul, but I live in Reno. A number of boat in restaurants make for a great lunch experience.
Old 12-24-2019, 12:23 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Tahoe is a pain in the ass. However I’m guilty of heading there every summer for a week+ and donating my money to the locals. It’s by far one of the most beautiful lakes there is. Nothing like looking down in 30-50’ of water and being able to see a dime on the bottom of the lake. It’s that clear. I personally take Hwy 50 up there. With that small load your pulling you will be fine. Don’t worry about making sure your boat is dry. You won’t win this argument and still pay for the flush. Due to the steep mountain roads the water will work it’s way out of your boat somehow and they’re going to see that little drip. The good news is they finally reduced the fees for my twin fountain from $160 to I believe it is now $130 for the flush😂. That’s only the beginning though. You need to find a place to launch and keep your boat. This is where renting a house on the keys with a dock can be a wise investment. Free dock space can often offset the cost of a slip at the marina. We have payed between $750 and a little over $1200 for a weeks slip there.depending on the week. Prices always seem to change depending on if they decide to use lube or not that year😳 Tahoe Keys is by far the cheapest most economical place to launch and store trailers. It’s not pretty but it serves its purpose. When your there there is a few places you must see by boat like Emerald Bay or the if timing is right 4th of July fireworks at night on the water. All in all it’s a great bucket list and will not disappoint.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I always used the Lake Forest Ramp (at the Coastguard station) north of Tahoe City, good ramp access and plenty of parking if you are there early.

Some of the great boat in restaurants include Sunnyside, Riva Grill (S. Lake), Beacon Bar & Grill (Camp Richardson) and Gar Woods.

There's boat in and camp spots at Emerald Bay Boat Camp or Meeks Bay, can't really comment on the other accommodation as we used to just day boat.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:08 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

July 3, 2020 - Lake Tahoe - Run 'round the Lake (in your Big Boat).
Start in front of Gar Woods at 9 am. I will have a Pirate Flag in my Scarab 29.
Head down West Shore to RIva Grill, Then up East Shore to Hyatt and Back to Gar Woods.

Last edited by Scarab29SFO; 02-17-2020 at 09:14 PM.