2023 San Diego Hydroplane Races >

2023 San Diego Hydroplane Races

Notices

2023 San Diego Hydroplane Races

Old 06-28-2023, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 2023 San Diego Hydroplane Races

I moved to San Diego last summer from the North East. Used to race in the OPA with my dad (23' Warlock, Class 6) and San Diego has been surprisingly quiet for powerboats/race boats...

I saw the 2023 San Diego Hydroplane Races in Mission Bay set for September 15-17th, 2023. First time for me, but excited to check it out.

Anyone been before/planning to go this year?

The following users liked this post:
SB (06-29-2023)
Old 06-28-2023, 11:46 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 15 Posts

Racing a 23' looks like fun....especially in big water- we had one here (Vila).
I went to Seattle last year- I think there were 7 boats. The sport is still in recovery mode after Covid.
San Diego is a great venue with boats close to beach...bikinis are often in abundance, doesn't get better than that...
The following users liked this post:
WhiteNoise (05-14-2024)
Old 06-29-2023, 06:30 AM
Registered

Received 817 Likes on 299 Posts

I’ve never been south of Irvine. California is enigmatic to me.
Palm trees and dry air? Farm fields on the beach. Beautiful country with $hitty politics. Visiting the PNW from FL the first time was a little weird as well but has become my favorite part of the country.

Last edited by Hoodoo 2.0; 06-29-2023 at 06:32 AM.
Old 06-29-2023, 09:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Hoodoo 2.0
I’ve never been south of Irvine. California is enigmatic to me.
Palm trees and dry air? Farm fields on the beach. Beautiful country with $hitty politics. Visiting the PNW from FL the first time was a little weird as well but has become my favorite part of the country.
For sure...but the weather is good as well as boating on the delta!
I grew up near Coeur d'Alene- headed up to see family today and fireworks on the 4th.
Dad helped rig/launch Hydros for the race in CDA in '68- (I wasn't there) but one helluva a party that resulted in no more boat races! The boats came back in 2013..we buried Dad on Saturday before race day and went to the lake on Sunday, maybe the last race on the lake. (Hudsons has a nice small Hydro museum if you get there for a burger)
The economy was tough there when I was ready to start a career..we spent a lot of time at Stateline raceway as a kid drinking beer in the bars there at 16..Bobby Knievel came over from Montana and raced there (before my time).
Plenty of brothels and strip clubs there ..Wallace Idaho became a brothel as desperation set in- miners lost their jobs in the silver mines, the women became the wage earners.
We took up collections in High school so kids would make the trek there for their first adventure with a woman.

Anyway enjoy the 4th!

Old 06-29-2023, 10:43 AM
Registered

Received 817 Likes on 299 Posts

The Delta does look interesting.
Old 07-14-2023, 05:37 PM
Registered

UH1 has cancelled the San Diego race...maybe old news now..
https://www.h1unlimited.com/h1-unlimited-staff/
Old 05-14-2024, 03:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 28 V
Racing a 23' looks like fun....especially in big water- we had one here (Vila).
I went to Seattle last year- I think there were 7 boats. The sport is still in recovery mode after Covid.
San Diego is a great venue with boats close to beach...bikinis are often in abundance, doesn't get better than that...
You can watch our 23' Warlock get some serious air during the Atlantic City, NJ race on Youtube (Channel: Northeast Powerboats) and the video title is: "Warpaint flys by Liquid Courage" (Can't share links until I reach 10 posts)
Old 06-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Registered

Looks like the the 2024 San Diego Hydroplane races (San Diego Bayfair) are back at Mission Bay this year, September 13-15th!!

Tickets here: https://sandiegobayfair.saffire.com/p/tickets

Anyone thinking of going? It'd be my first time since moving here in 2022. Looks like Sunday's day pass ($35) includes access to all events, racing and pit access.