Havasu first timer tips? >

Havasu first timer tips?

Notices

Havasu first timer tips?

Old 02-19-2024, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Havasu first timer tips?

I live in Ridgecrest CA, and I’m finishing up a resto/light rebuild on an 86 Scarab II. I’d like to give the boat a sea trial this spring. I think Havasu is my best choice for a safe place to sea trial the boat. I was a boater for 10 years on the North Carolina coast. I had much smaller, much less powerful boats back then.

I got a California boater card. The Scarab has current registration and stickers for North Carolina. The insurance policy is for California.

What do I need to be legal in Havasu?
Is there a ramp fee?
Do I need CA or AZ registration stickers?
Is there any invasive species special inspection sticker or anything?
Any recommendations on what ramp to use?
When is a non-crowded time to go? I’ll need to take my time on the ramp. This boat hasn’t floated in many years. I don’t wanna be the jerk that clogs up a busy ramp from being too slow.
Old 02-20-2024, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 302 Likes on 156 Posts

If you want a slow time don't go during spring break! Or during super cat fest/desert storm which are the weekends of April 20th and 27th.

I prefer using lake havasu marina for a launch ramp. It isn't as hectic. They charge $10 mid week and $20 on weekends. It's protected from the wind and has a pretty long dock on the side to tie up after launching.

I run OR registration without issue. No invasive species needed. You'll just get inspected when going back into CA!
Old 02-20-2024, 10:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Havasu sounds like a great spot for your Scarab II sea trial. When it comes to being legal and prepared, there are a few things to consider.

Regarding registration, you'll likely need either California or Arizona registration stickers, depending on where you plan to launch. Since you have a California boater card and insurance, California registration stickers may be the way to go to stay consistent.
Old 02-20-2024, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

I’d go during the week. Or at least a long weekend. It’ll be fairly mellow Thursday and Friday up til early April. I’d drive out Thursday morning. Launch and do all checks Thursday afternoon. Then a good sea trail Friday all day.

Like stated above, the main marina launch ramp is nice. They have a very long guest dock. You can launch and then walk the boat down to the end of the guest slip and do all your checks for as long as you need without getting in anyone’s way.

if you trust to keep the boat in the water, you can stay at the nautical and put it on their guest slips or London bridge resort in the channel. If you’re going to pull the boat out each day, there’s other cheaper hotels that you can get the trailer in and out of easy enough.

any questions let us know.

Oh, and post some pics of the scarab!
The following 2 users liked this post by thisistank:
87MirageIntruder (02-20-2024), Hoodoo 2.0 (02-20-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 11:22 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

These are a few months old. It’s in a little better shape now. Still have some work left to do

The following 4 users liked this post by Jumpjets:
87MirageIntruder (02-23-2024), Hoodoo 2.0 (02-23-2024), jayboat (02-24-2024), thisistank (02-23-2024)
Old 02-23-2024, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'll want to ensure you have all the necessary documentation in order. Since you have a California boater card and insurance policy, you should be covered on that front. As for registration stickers, it's best to have current California registration stickers for your boat since you'll be operating it in California waters.