Operation Drywater >

Operation Drywater

Notices

Operation Drywater

Old 06-22-2009, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Operation Drywater

Wanted to make everyone aware that Tennessee and Kentucky have both joined the Operation Drywater Campaign that will be going on this weekend (June 26-28). Press releases say that "every available agent" will be conducting random stops and BUI checkpoints along with equipment checks over the weekend.

This is the first year of a National Effort to target BUI and reduce Alcohol related fatalies on the water.

http://operationdrywater.org/

http://fw.ky.gov/newsrelease.asp?nid=565
Old 06-23-2009, 08:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy

Can they get you if you're paddling???
Old 06-23-2009, 11:22 AM
Registered

sounds like it will be a good weekend to stay at the house...
Old 06-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by RANDOLPH
sounds like it will be a good weekend to stay at the house...
good, you can come help me hang the recessed can lights at the cabin saturday! I'll cook us up some chicken wings
Old 06-23-2009, 02:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hoghead
good, you can come help me hang the recessed can lights at the cabin saturday! I'll cook us up some chicken wings
oh yea, and maybe I can get my prop back from you
Old 06-23-2009, 02:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hoghead
oh yea, and maybe I can get my prop back from you
yea i forgot about it when i was leavng sunday morning...

I can help with your lights no problem...
Old 06-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Registered

Looks like it's time to find my registration numbers for this year..... Good thing I planned to take it easy this weekend.

I dare you guys to get on the lake and hang out all day without drinking.

Originally Posted by West KY Star News
State Targets Alcohol Laws this Weekend on Lakes
By KY Department of Fish & Wildlife

FRANKFORT, KY - Conservation officers with the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources will join a nationwide campaign to stop boating under the influence this Friday through Sunday. Operation Dry Water, a campaign coordinated by the National Association of State Boating Law Administrators, will increase law enforcement presence on the water to prevent alcohol-related boating incidents and fatalities. At least 47 states are slated to participate. Officers will be out in full force throughout the weekend on Kentucky’s lakes and rivers.

"Kentucky ranks 28th in the country for the number of registered boats, but our alcohol-related fatality rate is higher than a lot of the biggest boating states," said Sgt. John Anderson, boating education coordinator for Kentucky Fish and Wildlife. "So we have a lot of room for improvement."

Drinking alcohol on Kentucky waters is illegal, both for boat operators and their passengers. Alcohol can impair judgment, vision, balance and reaction time. It can increase the effects of "boater’s fatigue," a condition caused by sun, wind, noise and the boat’s vibration.

Kentucky’s boating incident statistics are sobering. While 21 percent of boating fatalities nationwide were a result of alcohol use in 2007, Kentucky’s alcohol-related boating fatalities totaled about 50 percent that year.

"This is a national concern. It’s not just Kentucky," Anderson said. "Our goal is no fatalities on the water, and one of the ways to reach that goal is strong alcohol enforcement."

Kentucky boaters can expect special law enforcement details at many of the state’s lakes and rivers. Boaters whose blood alcohol content levels exceed the national limit of .08 percent can expect a citation and possible jail time.

"We will have every available officer on the water June 26-28," said Col. Robert Milligan, director of Kentucky Fish and Wildlife’s law enforcement division. "Officers will have zero tolerance for impaired boaters."

As the boating season approaches its busiest time, many boaters visit Kentucky waters from out of state.

"We invite boaters from outside Kentucky," said Anderson. "Our position is that taking a strong stance on alcohol makes Kentucky a safer place to boat. We’re encouraging tourism."

Officers will also make routine checks of required boating safety equipment such as life jackets and fire extinguishers. Boaters should check the 2009 Kentucky Fishing & Boating Guide to be sure they meet all safety requirements. The guide is available online at fw.ky.gov and wherever fishing licenses are sold.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:51 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kennyo
Can they get you if you're paddling???
Sad to say yes they can. Got a buddy of mine floating on an intertube.
Old 06-24-2009, 06:18 AM
Registered

If "21% of boating accidents are alcohol related", seems to me they'd leave us alone and go after the other 79%!!
Old 06-24-2009, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Talking

Originally Posted by AngerMgmt
If "21% of boating accidents are alcohol related", seems to me they'd leave us alone and go after the other 79%!!
Good point!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.