stator smokes when ignition turned on

Notices

stator smokes when ignition turned on

Old 04-18-2006, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stator smokes when ignition turned on

Hi

I have two 470 mercruiser motors, 3.7L straight 4s in an old wellcraft 23 nova xl.

Just completed a rebuild after an exhaust leaked seizing a piston. Once back in the boat started and ran fine until i noticed the integrated water pump (runs direct from cam shaft) was leaking.

Fixing this requires removal of the front pulley and stator which form part of the alternator.

When all was put back the darn stator starts smoking when battery power is switched on.

Wasn't sure what to do so off comes the pulley again to get to the stator, had a look at it, a bit dirty but nothing obvious wrong. tested to see if it has grounded, but doesn't seem to be the case.

Put it back and all was well. After 3 hours of opperation combining 3 trips and multiple switching on and off of the main battery power switch the darn thing starts smoking again. I was far from home so disconnected it from the water cooled regulator, and then disconnected the main power cable from the regulator.

I personally think something is arking when I try to start the boat and causing this problem. but have tried checking the wiring but cant find anything. It's a bit difficult as the engine next door prevents this to some extent.

When i origionally repared the water pump i never disconnected the wiring from the stator, just moved with the wires attached.

If anyone has any idea what this could be i'd greatly appreciate it.

P.S. now i have the stator and regulator disconnected I have noticed the oil pressure guage seems intimitant in it's readings. Could i have caused this, or am i experiencing guage failure?
Old 04-18-2006, 04:19 PM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: stator smokes when ignition turned on

the water cooled rectifier regulator could short out causing the stator overheat. ( the smoke is from the varnish they use to coat the windings). you can test the componants and replace the bad parts or there is a kit to convert to an external alternator system. also dirty or loose battery connections can cause problems with that system.