Hyd. Steering advice

Notices

Hyd. Steering advice

Old 09-28-2004, 11:51 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Hyd. Steering advice

I currently have a single ram add on system. I definitely want to go to a full system. Ideally I would want a dual ram full system.

Is a single ram full system that much of a safety improvement over the add on system? I am anticipating speeds in the 75-80 range. Completing my existing system would not cost that much. It would be a easy install too.

Maybe I could buy a single ram full system and request the dual ram helm unit, use my existing ram and have a dual ram full system?

What would you do?
Old 09-28-2004, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Re: Hyd. Steering advice

My understanding is that installing the entire system is the way to go. I rode in a 22 scarab just the other day that had the add on system and it seemed to have more play in it that a full system. It was a single ram, marine machine cable assist system.

I started from scratch and built the enitre system for mine. Its not cheap.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look at XS Performance.... Brian will help you!

/Torbjorn
Old 09-28-2004, 04:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

depending on handling charateristics of your boat you should see improvement with full hyd over single extrernal. If your running a nosecone full hyd is mandatory (in my opinion). I pushed my mediocre handling boat (baja 272) to outright dangerous speeds (was 62 mph stock) and added twin ram hyd external imco to try to alleviate chinewalking,skipping etc around 75-78 mph,it helped but still felt loose and dangerous(no one unskilled could drive it). I drove it like that for 2 years,when i decided to juice it up further (540 w/8-10 psi boost),i started getting 82-85 mph out of it and handling was worse. I added the full helm this year and boat now drives straight and hardly ever chinewalks,Smitty
Old 09-29-2004, 12:33 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

As far as safety goes. When the gimble ring breaks at 83mph and you have one ram, the drive has a tendency to swing on that one ram. This puts the boat into a flat spin. It will go around maybe 2-3 times at that speed. I cant tell you much more because I was unconcious. Lucky I didnt get tossed out of the boat!!
Now at anything close to 80, I have both rams, full hydraulic steering and only the HP gimble.

So yes.. full Hydraulic steering.. a must!! for longevity!

Dick
Old 09-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks guys,

I will probably bite the bullet and buy a full system. That leads to another question. I don't care for the way my ram is currently mounted outside of my k-plane. It might be a tight fit going inside the k-plane though. What is the minimum distance from the gimbal needed? Looking at IMCO's website I think the shortest system they have is 9.75", which I don't think I have.
Attached Thumbnails Hyd. Steering advice-super4.jpg  
Old 09-30-2004, 10:32 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dave if you call Brian Alfrey he can make a custom set up for you.
He can answer any questions you have about inside vs. outside set ups.
Brian will take good care of you & has the best bang for the buck anywhere.
It is an extremely heavy duty steering system that is priced right.
Several OSO member have his systems and rate these systems highly.

You can call Brian Alfrey at XS Performance direct anytime.
XS Performance Marine
Brian Alfrey
6688B Georgetown Lane
Middletown, Ohio 45042
1-513-737-0588
[email protected]
He goes by Alfster on OSO but he is rarely online.
However he always answers the phone.

http://www.xsperformancemarine.biz/

Last edited by WildThing; 05-21-2006 at 02:15 PM.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Re: Hyd. Steering advice

Not to interupt your thread, but I had a question regarding this topic as well.

I know the difference between an "add-on" system and full system, but when I look at a Latham Marine catalog they have a section describing the difference of each type of set-up and I fall into a differnent category. I currently have a MM setup for my Bravo1 with dual rams. What I don't have is a power steering pump, overflow, filter, etc. My setup is a "self contained" hydraulic system. Other than the steering being more difficult, what are the pro or cons to my set-up? Is there a safety issue with what I have, or is it safer being that there are less items to break/leak between the rams and the helm.

Thanks for the info.

E.S.
Old 11-03-2004, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ttt
Old 11-04-2004, 08:14 PM
monsta

minx, your system is regularly found on many hi-perf outboard set ups, like 28 skater's and such. strong , just harder. you'll need to buy a different helm. but if you have a capalano helm, save it there worth some pennies', if you decide to upgrade. if your boat runs 80+, i would suggest you add the rest of the component's to complete your system. i've seen to many bad thing's caused by ill-fated steering.

Quick Reply: Hyd. Steering advice

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.