Drive Re-finish >

Drive Re-finish

Notices

Drive Re-finish

Old 02-08-2005, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive Re-finish

What is the best coating to use on out drive. I want to re-finish mine. I am sure powder coating would do a fine job. Would you have to completely disassemble the drive to do this? Are there any other options? I don't like the like the black Mecury paint as it does not hold up even if the surface is properly prepped. Has anyone tried a base coat-clear coat automotive paint? Looking for ideas.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Drive Re-finish

doller uses nason blue label synthetic enamel... its cheap and will last as long or longer than any paint out there. you get paint hardener and reducer mix according to the directions. i would use a good two part primer. sand with 220 and then 2 wet coats of the enamel. good luck, ratman
Old 02-08-2005, 04:29 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

My drives are currently being re-painted by a local "guru". They tell me that powder coating doesn't last and they are using some kinda 2 part epoxy. Don't know from experience, just following advice from those that should know.
Old 02-08-2005, 05:19 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Orion 27Fever
What is the best coating to use on out drive. I don't like the like the black Mecury paint as it does not hold up even if the surface is properly prepped. .
I repainted my lowers last yr. Sand blasted to bare aluminum. It's all in the prep. 1st use a cleaner, then a conditioner. Epoxy primer, then finished with Concept Acrylic Urethane paint. All PPG products. 1 yr later and still looks like I just painted them this morning.

I assume you are talking about the spray can paint. If so, I never had any luck with that. looks good until it gets wet. Then it turns greyish, then it peels.

The original finish is hard to beat. Takes for ever to blast off. I have yet to see the original finish not hold up. I even tried a plumbers torch to take the paint off. No dice. Paint stripper didn't touch it.

And yes, to be powder coated, they have to be stripped to bare housings. You'll have some $$$ just in the R&R of the guts without even getting into the recoating cost.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 02-08-2005 at 05:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:24 PM
Registered

Ratman
I found a couple of different Nason enamels. I didn't find anything called Nason Blue. Is it the Nason Ful-Base or the Ful Cryl II? The Ful Cry II seems like it would work well. Dupont describes it as chip resistant and flexible.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:28 PM
Registered

US1 Fountain,
The way you described sounds like it would work well. I have always had good luck with PPG products in the past. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:51 PM
Registered
Gold Member

I need to refinish my drives this year too. Have any of you had any experience with a product called POR-15? They have a metal cleaner, metal prep (with zinc), POR-15 then a topcoat product to finish it. They make claims about it being chip and corrosion resistent (or proof). Can be brushed or sprayed.

JK
Old 02-08-2005, 07:45 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

US is right on prep!
I used IMRON with alum primer, etc , in a spray gun. Drives and tabs still look wet, and hold up very well.
good luck

Christian
Old 02-08-2005, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

how many of these fantastic results are on boats that stay in the water? FW that is.

That's the combo I want to hear about. The one that lasts multiple season on a FW slipped boat, with appropriate magnesium anodes and a working Mercathode system of course.
Old 02-09-2005, 08:16 AM
Registered

Ful cryl is the cheapest of the Nason , Ful thane has more Imron properties and will last longer . It is a urethane and has held up fine on my Scarab .