25' Outlaw setup tinkering >

25' Outlaw setup tinkering

Notices

25' Outlaw setup tinkering

Old 08-12-2016, 08:42 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Do the 25's and 26's actually have a pad too?

They both have that notch but when you get underneath is there and actual pad like 6 or 8 inch or something?
Old 08-12-2016, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 836 Likes on 355 Posts

Lots of theories out there on tab mounting. Most are mounted along the V, countinuing the V hull shape. I mounted mine like this to help limit chine walk at higher speeds without having to drop the tabs much. If the boat did get into a chine walk the outside corners of the tabs should correct it when they would make contact. The only way tabs mounted along the V are going to reduce or stop chine walk is if they are dropped making full contact with the water, adding drag and reducing speed. From what I've found the go fast manufacturers that have done more testing with there hulls mount the tabs like this. Other manufacturers along the production boat lines generally have them mounted along the V because they know they work that way and don't do much testing. Not the easiest thing to explain in wording. The size of these tabs in relation to the boat also allowed me to do this, 12" tabs for example I would think would work very poorly because they don't have the reach. Many will tell me mounting them this way is silly but so far they have performed exactly as I hoped.
Old 08-12-2016, 09:12 AM
Registered

The 25s have a long narrow pad, runs up about half the length of the boat, and a small notch. I don't believe the 26s have a notch or a pad, could be wrong tho

Last edited by IGetWet; 08-12-2016 at 09:14 AM. Reason: Correct picture
Old 08-20-2016, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

05 25OL, roller cam 525sc, imco neutral box, imco steering, 280 k planes, 28p standard lower, 75.2mph gps
Old 08-20-2016, 12:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JerseyOutlaw
05 25OL, roller cam 525sc, imco neutral box, imco steering, 280 k planes, 28p standard lower, 75.2mph gps
I read your rebuild, looks like a nice setup. What HP do you figure with your motor? What's your propshaft height at 12" back? I imagine your prop slip numbers have to be way down
Old 08-27-2016, 01:39 PM
Registered

Picked up a 26 LH bravo 1 the other day and got good results from that. But I think a lot of it came from sanding and sharpening the lower unit. I had chipped paint etc on the lower unit and was sanding and repainting too often so I decided to take it down to bare aluminum.

After a couple short runs I calculated slip at 7.10 - 8.79% depending on exact rpm, pretty darn good for only 4.25 below the pad. My RPMs dropped because of the better grip, 67 @ 4550-4600. I did see 68 and 69 briefly on my gps but I'm using 67 and 67.5 for the prop slip calculator. The goal for now is to get setup dialed in and then add some HP next season.
Old 08-29-2016, 05:08 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 824 Likes on 377 Posts

Originally Posted by IGetWet
Picked up a 26 LH bravo 1 the other day and got good results from that. But I think a lot of it came from sanding and sharpening the lower unit. I had chipped paint etc on the lower unit and was sanding and repainting too often so I decided to take it down to bare aluminum.

So with same power but box/raised prop cl you haven't quite matched your best speed from before any mods? That was my experience too, I put my stellings box on after talking tp a guy who claimed he had built a roots blower 850 hp baja that picked up 5 mph top speed , I have a theory, only a theory though, IF you take to 6 inch straight edges and hold them on each side of the pad on vee to form a imaginary vee the stock prop center line (mine was 7.5") is really more like 5.5" in comparison to a vee, I strongly feel thats why no matter what prop i tried and even after spacing the drive down 1" with stellings box and when I tried imco 2" shorty my 272 slowed down, would not carry the bow, porpoised etc but this was in the 90+ mph range

After a couple short runs I calculated slip at 7.10 - 8.79% depending on exact rpm, pretty darn good for only 4.25 below the pad. My RPMs dropped because of the better grip, 67 @ 4550-4600. I did see 68 and 69 briefly on my gps but I'm using 67 and 67.5 for the prop slip calculator. The goal for now is to get setup dialed in and then add some HP next season.
So with same power but box/raised prop cl you haven't quite matched your best speed from before any mods? That was my experience too, I put my stellings box on after talking tp a guy who claimed he had built a roots blower 850 hp baja that picked up 5 mph top speed , I have a theory, only a theory though, IF you take to 6 inch straight edges and hold them on each side of the pad on vee to form a imaginary vee the stock prop center line (mine was 7.5") is really more like 5.5" in comparison to a vee, I strongly feel thats why no matter what prop i tried and even after spacing the drive down 1" with stellings box and when I tried imco 2" shorty my 272 slowed down, would not carry the bow, porpoised etc but this was in the 90+ mph range
Old 08-29-2016, 05:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by articfriends
Not sure I follow the theory, the water is coming off the pad, it doesn't follow the imaginary V. My theory on why I haven't seen any speed increase is because I went from a perfectly labbed 3 blade to a stock 4 blade. A lot more drag, weight with the four blade. If I were to have the bravo 1 labbed I should be at or above my old top speed. If the slip numbers are good then I should be able to get the speed once HP is added. Wild Card has stated more than once that he achieved 84+mph with his 600sci and 81+mph with a 525efi, good numbers for any straight bottom V!

But another reason for these mods is a better rough water ride. Before the mods the boat felt like it sat more in the water at speed where now it really feels like the boat is up on top of the water riding across the tops of the waves.

Bblades got back to me today and told me that the 25 rev 4 I had bought was way out of balance, so that should answer why that specific prop did so poorly.
Old 08-29-2016, 09:57 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 824 Likes on 377 Posts

Not sure I follow the theory, the water is coming off the pad, it doesn't follow the imaginary V. My theory on why I haven't seen any speed increase is because I went from a perfectly labbed 3 blade to a stock 4 blade. A lot more drag, weight with the four blade. If I were to have the bravo 1 labbed I should be at or above my old top speed. If the slip numbers are good then I should be able to get the speed once HP is added. Wild Card has stated more than once that he achieved 84+mph with his 600sci and 81+mph with a 525efi, good numbers for any straight bottom V!

But another reason for these mods is a better rough water ride. Before the mods the boat felt like it sat more in the water at speed where now it really feels like the boat is up on top of the water riding across the tops of the waves.

Bblades got back to me today and told me that the 25 rev 4 I had bought was way out of balance, so that should answer why that specific prop did so poorly.
My theory is a true vee boat runs much deeper in the water, your pad runs on water, a true vee would be cutting in water a few inches deeper so would need prop higher to act the same, just a theory. From personal experience my boat ran about 5 mph slower w a box, as soon as i took it off speed came right back but at the time my baja was running in the low 90s so sure it rode much higher in the water. Went to shorty later on with even more hp, ran 99.5 gps many times, couldnt get boat past 95 with 2"shorty because as soon as you trimmed it prop would blow out, drop bow and try to swap ends.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read your rebuild, looks like a nice setup. What HP do you figure with your motor? What's your propshaft height at 12" back? I imagine your prop slip numbers have to be way down
The x was 7.25 before the box, it's a neutral box. The drive is still deep, so I got my hands on a 3blade 28p from a Warlock V bottom. It likes a lot of trim and some tab. A stock 525sc is 490hp at the prop. It's got a little head work on the intake runners and a custom grind roller cam. It looks overtrimmed, but it runs the fastest this way on a digital gps, pushing the bow up and tab for sternlift. I took the exact measurements for the k planes from my buddy's 25 AT Tantrum.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PU47GWhypA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eyVJRHRrDg

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.