25' Outlaw setup tinkering >

25' Outlaw setup tinkering

Notices

25' Outlaw setup tinkering

Old 04-13-2012, 10:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WildRooster
Anybody have an opinion on a -7.5 to -8 x dimension? Is that normal for a factory setup? That seems really deep....
Holy crap that seems deep....mine was 6.5" stock before the changes.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Baja_man
@ A.O. Razor......current prop is unlabbed....28P B1....I definately will get a labbed prop just unsure which one, a 26P or 28P, maybe both? I wanted to see which lower setup was fastest before the lab....but am leaning toward having both labbed and stock on hand at same time to see how each reacts with different lower changes.
If you need 500-600 rpms, the 26 would probably be the prop to lab. You can get 300-400 out of the 28, but it also depends on what you want. Bblades or Greg Hittner can tell you which one to lab and how. In any case, you want more bow lift and you should try this before lowering your prop shaft. If you can get your hands on one, you could try a Rev4 in 25". That is pitch wise very close to the B1 26 and see how your boat does with a bow lifting prop, just to get an idea.

Originally Posted by WildRooster
Measured my X dimension....-7.5 to -8....what is normal/average for our boats? That seems pretty deep.
That is deep. Back in 01-02 Baja started to raise the x to about 15-15½", so therefore the difference in the x from the ealier years. If you decide to go on with this, don't do it all at once, you won't be able to keep track of what is doing what and what is good or bad. At least a -2 preferebly a -3 lower, prop, 3" box, is the way I'd go in your case. In any case, get your prop shaft up, either by raising the x dimension or raising the prop shaft via a sorty lower. If you raise the x-dim either by box or re-installation of the drive, 17"-17½" is pretty good for a combination of performance and comfort, without a shorty and you can always space down or install a shorty if you want the prop shaft @ less than 4" below. If you don't want to re-cut your transom, the IMCO +3 box is a good choice, since it requiers raising of the motor and "only" requiers rerouting of the exhaust or new exhaust holes and not a reglass of the entire transom. It is still a lot of work though.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:05 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Where does the hose go for cooling your top cap?
That braided hose you see uses nose cone water pressure to the top cap then out jets on the side of the drive cap to cool.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 820 Likes on 376 Posts

For the 3500$ a extension box will cost I would buy a like new procharger set-up for same price or less and just rebuild the motor sooner and you will see as much speed increase as you dare to run boost (5-25 mph), everything else besides a labbed prop will only get you a mph here or there IF your lucky. My boat is considerably faster than yours but the stellings box slowed me down at the higher speeds I run and the imco shorty slowed me down and made boat dangerous to run fast. My 272 runs 75 or so with normally aspirated 540 and 100 with the blower belt on, Smitty
Old 04-22-2012, 08:10 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 820 Likes on 376 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja_man
Holy crap that seems deep....mine was 6.5" stock before the changes.
Don't forget bud, when you get back from overseas give me a shout and I will meet up with you with a truck load of props so you can find what you need, Smitty
Old 04-22-2012, 10:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Don't forget bud, when you get back from overseas give me a shout and I will meet up with you with a truck load of props so you can find what you need, Smitty
I haven't forgot...still want to try them all out. Hoping to be home early Sept....I may even get a weekend late fall this year to test everything I want to including somke lowers. That will leave me the entire winter to get labbed what I need to without down time.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:48 PM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

I'm going to try to bring this back from the dead. Anyone have more input on the ideal drive height for a 25 OL? I got antsy and opened a can of worms with my 25 OL this spring, hydraulic steering, tabs, extension box, rerigged almost the whole boat yada yada yada. Anyways my drive height is 4-1/4" below the pad now, started at 6-7/8", a 2-5/8" lift from the imco extension box. Just picked up a 25 rev 4, haven't been able to get out and do a wot test yet, but from previous testing a 23 rev 4 seemed to carry the whole boat better than a 26 bravo, so I went with a 25. Both props had my hand held gps switching between 67 and 68, the rev 4 at the limiter (5150) and the 26 I believe at 4700. There was a strong chop, 1.5-2', while testing, but with the 4 blades and the extension box and hydraulic steering the boat flys across the tops of the waves and runs like its on rails. With the drive deeper and a 25 labbed mirage plus I saw a best of 70.

I did all these mods in prep for more HP, but for now I'm kinda hoping I'd be able to at least keep the speed I had. Wild card 09 did very similar mods but dropped a 525 in right away and says he was seeing 81.2, so I thought with a good running 496ho I'd be able to see 70 maybe a click or two more... But maybe more HP is needed to get the real benefits of the higher X dimension

Old 08-10-2016, 09:33 AM
Registered

Received 124 Likes on 45 Posts

Following I'm planning on doing the same to my 25 outlaw this winter.. Might get in touch with ya and ask for tips
Old 08-12-2016, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 834 Likes on 353 Posts

Sounds good. Got the boat out for a couple wot runs and rpm/speed checks and I honestly don't think I could be anymore disappointed in this 25 rev 4. It didn't act anything like the other three props I tested, a 24 bravo, 26 bravo, and a 23 rev 4. This prop cavitated and just slipped like crazy, could barely use the trim before I could feel the prop break loose. 4000rpm was 48mph = 24% slip! I was anywhere from 9-11% with the other props. Bizarre. I got calls in to BBlades where I bought the prop as well as Mercury racing to see if someone can shed some light on this. I think I was actually better of with my three blade mirage plus+ than this thing. I hope I just got a lemon prop....
Old 08-12-2016, 08:34 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,055 Likes on 1,359 Posts

Curious why you mounted your tab's like that

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.