Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Boating Safety
How many people on this site have been in a boating accident? >

How many people on this site have been in a boating accident?

Notices

How many people on this site have been in a boating accident?

Old 11-16-2006, 06:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: How many people on this site have been in a boating accident?

Originally Posted by orss
i been involve directly in 89 accidents, but i see many others, from the air you see a lot
Air Rescue?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ericaull
Air Rescue?
yeap , for the last 16 years

** resently retired, i'm to old to swim in.......

Last edited by orss; 11-16-2006 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
To answer my own question in this thread, yea, i've wrecked. T-boned a 31 sea-ray amberjack this summer at about 33 mph. Middle of the night. Nobody hurt.

Totaled the sea-ray, mostly cosmetic damage on my fountain, 4-5 small areas needed fiberglass work (maybe 4 square ft total). Sea-ray was an $84k total loss.

I had right of way, but i didn't see the boat until i hit him. He was going about 20 mph from my left to my right, i was at a slow cruise, probably about 33 mph. My money says he had no lights on, but if i'd seen a boat with no lights on i wouldn't have have hit it, and the "bang" was certainly enough to remind him to hit the switch. He was adamant that he had his lights on, even though i never accused him of having them off, so i'm pretty sure he didn't have them on.

We exchanged info, he said he didn't want to involve police and that he wasn't taking on water and still had propulsion, i didn't know the condition of my boat at the time so i headed for shore, as did he. He turned around and called it in as a hit and run half an hour later, when he realized that he WAS taking on water, and said he was dead in the water when some guy in a go fast "ran right over" his boat. Admitted to the cop that he had "a couple" drinks and still wasn't tested. Cop believed him and wrote me a ticket.

Insurance company did an investigation and found the other guy at fault. It was plainly obvious, even to an untrained eye, that he was lying, based on the damage. Lawyer said i could beat the ticket but i didn't want to see his bill for it, so i plead to it and it goes away in 6 months.

i don't like running at night anymore.

The thread in the general forum about the recent boating accident, as well as the other high-profile accidents i've read about this summer, got me wondering how many people here have actually been involved in accidents.
You forgot to mention how many drinks you had.
Old 12-10-2006, 06:27 PM
AT Cult Member #3
VIP Member

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

1999 NYC poker run....28 Apache....rogue wave at 80mph........4 guys in the water.....I sustained a head injury and was knocked out w/o a life jacket , pulled from the water not breathing, started breathing again on my own, coma for 4 days, rehab for 6 months. Other guys got broken leg and a broken jaw, blown out ligaments and cuts. Had just bought my brand new AT up from FLA. 4 days earlier........
Old 12-11-2006, 09:24 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

While I've never had any collisions, I did put my 13' Boston Whaler up on the beach while showing off.

My dad beached his 1962 36' Chris Craft. We were out on Barnegate Bay one night coming back from a restaurant at the foot of the Sea Side Bridge. As you approach Silver Bay from the south there is a section where you can see the bay through the trees on Cattus Island. Dad thought it was the bay's entrance and spun the wheel. A couple minutes later we hit the swamp a cruise speed and beached her. Lucky it was a full moon high tide. We just slid right up high and dry. Next morning after the tide went out there was 12'+ of dry ground from the transom to waters edge. Took a local contractor a week to dredge a channel to the boat and then dig the muck out from under her. Damage?...two blown transmissions, one bent shaft and prop. No hull damage.
Old 12-12-2006, 08:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Iggy
While I've never had any collisions, I did put my 13' Boston Whaler up on the beach while showing off.
When i was 12 I ran around the lake in a 10' Achilles RIB w/ a 9.9 merc on the back. There was a small island that was maybe 5 feet across and sandy at the narrowest point, where everyone would hang out. I'd head for the island full speed, kill the throttle as i hit the beach, and skid right over the island and into the water on the other side. If i was quick enough back on the throttle, i could keep it on plane when i landed back in the water.
Old 12-14-2006, 04:30 PM
Registered

Paid my dues also......Dave
Old 12-14-2006, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

20years ago in my old Scarab had a GD jet ski try to jump my wake, He hit the side of the boat 1 foot from the rear.He all most made it.
Same thing happended to me this summer! I hate GD PWC's! I didn't even see it coming, he came in from my blindspot. I thought I had hit something under the water. Boy was cut up pretty bad but managed to jump back on and took off. I was able to get his registration and gave it to the police. I was lucky and most of the impact was under the boat on the lifting strake and chine.

If it happens again i'm mounting a Ma Duece .50 cal on my engine deck!
Old 12-15-2006, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 370 Likes on 249 Posts

couple years ago it happened to my brother in a 24 outlaw, thanks to the wall type transom instead of a molded swim platform.. 4 adults 2 child under 2 years old. , no one wearing pfds, He was idling at night when some drunk guy in a 20 foot boat came right behind him. drunk boat never saw my brother. my brother and another adult jumped in water, while the other hide themselves on the floor. the problem was: 2nd adult who jumped in water jumped with his 2 years old son no pfd. brother swam back to the boat (was not easy boat was still idling) and the father in the water was close to drawning trying to keep his son breathing out of water. Even if people were throwing flotation device every where he could not see them because of dark. Brother jumped back in water and took the kid. Noboby really injured, except drunk boat was total loss and sank, and they had to go to hospital... We now never run in dark, unless emergency to help, with many many spotlight...
Old 12-16-2006, 08:42 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff32
We now never run in dark, unless emergency to help, with many many spotlight...
That nearly happened to us. Precisely why we don't go out at night anymore either.

Quick Reply: How many people on this site have been in a boating accident?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.