Oil hose/remote filter/cooler routing question >

Oil hose/remote filter/cooler routing question

Notices

Oil hose/remote filter/cooler routing question

Old 09-26-2008, 01:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil hose/remote filter/cooler routing question

Okay, another one of the issues in running the new (to us) Top Gun last weekend was that the oil pressure gauge (stbd) was pegged and the oil temp gauge on the stbd was alot higher than the port. We only ran it for about an hour (not my choice but the main money man wanted to run it) and it didn't get any higher than about 220-230. I put a mechanical gauge on for the oil pressure and found it to be good around 50 psi at cold idle. So then I started comparing the oil hose routing to the port motor and found that the lines appear to be swapped at the remote oil filter on the stbd motor. Which according to the previous owner was rebuilt about 10 hours agao, he provided build sheets, dyno sheets, reciepts, etc. Attached is a crude Autocad showing the hose routing, the hoses in question are in red. My best guess is that since the hoses seem to be swapped at the remote filter is that all of the oil was bypassing the cooler/filter and thus explains the higher oil temps? I changed the oil/filters today and filled the motors with 15w40 Rotella, I haven't cut the old filters open yet but I kept them along with the old oil and marked which engine it came out of. At this point I'm thinking I'll swap the lines on the stbd to match the port motor, run it after we get the hyrdo steering on, then change the oil and cut the filters open and see what it looks like, then take it from there. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Motors are HP500's (Port 130 hours since rebuild, Stbd 10 hours since rebuild), and TRS drives, boat is a 93.

Old 09-26-2008, 08:00 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You want the oil flow to the cooler to run opposite to the direction of the water flow. You don't want to run oil backwards into the filter. It doesn't really matter if you cool it or filter it first but the preference is to filter first to prevent cooler plugging.

My guess- Gen v/VI block and the filter is blown out, causing internal oil bypass.

Fix it before you turn it into a $10K+ problem.

Check here...

https://teaguecustommarine.c7.ixwebh...oij_piping.pdf

You may want to cure all the system's shortcomings while you're in there...

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...3&page=1&pp=20
Old 09-26-2008, 09:08 AM
Registered

Thanks as always Chris.
Old 09-26-2008, 10:59 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just remember that an oil filter fills from the outside and exits from the middle. That will keep your flows straight in your mind when connecting plumbing. Connecting the filter backwards will cause the media to immediately blow out and most likely lodge into the top plate's outer holes. Plus, if it has a bypass, it won't work in reverse.

Cut it apart and post a pic.

P.S. In Smitty's article, make sure to note the points on block adapter openings, line sizes and 90-degree elbows- this stuff can mean the difference between long engine life and expensive repairs.
Old 09-26-2008, 01:57 PM
Registered

I pulled the distributor out and used a priming rod/drill to run the pump, at that filter mount the oil came out the center. So as suspected the lines are swapped at the remote filter. We already discrussed pulling both motors and having them gone through over the winter, so it looks like this is what we will end up doing. I just moved all my tools and can't find anything to cut open the damn filters with but as soon as I do I'll post pics of those as well.

What a drag,

B reak
O out
A nother
T housand (but probably more like 10 at this point...)

Old 09-26-2008, 08:01 PM
Registered

Question;

Can I mount my remote oil filter head upside down so the filter can is up?

Do I need anything special to do it this way or can I just flip over my remote head?
Attached Thumbnails Oil hose/remote filter/cooler routing question-oil-filter-can-up.jpeg  

Last edited by 27 MAGNUM; 09-28-2008 at 09:00 PM.