Pyhton 24' electrical question >

Pyhton 24' electrical question

Notices

Pyhton 24' electrical question

Old 12-07-2007, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pyhton 24' electrical question

I'm modernizing the dash of a 92 Python 24 with Carling switches in Eddie billet panels & flush mounting a GPS. Here's the question:

All the old switches are simple SPST for the blower, bilge etc.
I haven't done anything wierd to the electrical system - hatch works, stereo works. Even the LEDs work when I put it back like it was - but the functions don't work! No light, no blower, no bilge. WTF?
Old 12-07-2007, 02:22 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by vfrmonkey
I'm modernizing the dash of a 92 Python 24 with Carling switches in Eddie billet panels & flush mounting a GPS. Here's the question:

All the old switches are simple SPST for the blower, bilge etc.
I haven't done anything wierd to the electrical system - hatch works, stereo works. Even the LEDs work when I put it back like it was - but the functions don't work! No light, no blower, no bilge. WTF?
I'm confused by your post and what is happening.

If you use the old switches everything works but when you try the new switches nothing works? Or, certain things work?
Old 12-08-2007, 03:04 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Did the ground get disconnected somehow?

Michael
Old 12-08-2007, 09:10 AM
Registered

No, everything worked when I took it apart, now nothing works but the LED's. The fact that the LEDs work means the ground is good. The fact that nothing else works is driving me nuts.

Quick thought - does the fact that the guages are disconnected have any bearing?
Old 12-08-2007, 08:23 PM
Banned

The reason could vary depending on the situation, I really wish you could email me a pictures of the dash disassembled so I can have a reference point to start to help you out with.....

I have been in car audio for almost 20 years and I can wire up anything....but figuring out a mess will take a little time.

What comes to mind off the top of my head is a looping ground....a ground that loops from switch to switch, or panel to panel, or device to device.... (chitty example of what I mean) When the ground is disconnected in one spot the rest of the circuit may not work....kind of like cheap x-mas lights....
Old 12-09-2007, 12:05 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

The fact that the LED works means that the ground to your LED's is connected but not the same for your lights and blowers and so on. I think you have a ground issue however have you tested for power off the switch?

Jon
Old 12-10-2007, 09:22 AM
Were doomed!
Charter Member

Received 948 Likes on 477 Posts

A switch is a very simple mechanical item....the fact that the LED's work tells me you have some power and ground....how good of each is another story though as it may be pulling ground from who knows where!

I would first check to make sure you wired the switches right...you may have the wires places on the wrong terminals....then i would verify you have good power.....dissconnect the power feed from the back of the switch and jumper it straight to the item you want powered....ie a blower or light and see if it works....if those two turn out ok then you need to look at your ground supply...

Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy horsepower. And I've never seen a sad person hauling a$$!
Old 12-15-2007, 03:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

The first question is , how many wires did you have to begin with. If you are using switches that have indicator lights in them then you will ne a ground. most switches have two terminals on the back which is a spst. If there is a third at the very bottom then its a ground for the light. From what I gather is that you are using indcators in the panel which is fine. But when you said nothing works with the new switches installed it sounds like to me you could have a bad jumper wire or maybe connected it to the wrong post. The switch panel should haves it own power supply and not thru the key switch. Like Wally is saying also check your ground witer from the battery to the terminal is you are using one. Good Luck and let me know...sunchaser