Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Fiberglass and Paint
Whats the latest and greatest compound? >

Whats the latest and greatest compound?

Notices

Whats the latest and greatest compound?

Old 04-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Wizards. The turbo cut will work wonders. I've been in the biz for 15yrs but will give what glass Dave says...
Old 04-22-2011, 06:10 PM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by RL
I've been a fan of Aqua Buff for years but I'm willing to try the Fountain of Youth product too. Curious how they will compare.
Prior to switching to FoY products i used a compound called Yacht Bright, which, if i'm not mistaken is also marketed as Aqua Buff. There is no comparison, to be honest though i had good luck with those compounds but the work and cleanup was so much higher not to mention i have to use easily twice as much product. I have a half a quart of Yacht Bright on the shelf that will most likely never be used. I made the switch completely about five minutes after i opened my first qt of Totally Buff.

Just so you guys no i have no direct connection to FoY other then i carry it in my office for my customers. i stumbled on it last year after Heater63 sold me some stuff in St Clair at a race. You guys already know how i like to share info and i just really like this line of products. I met the owner last year in Key West and really think they have a great product that does what it is supposed to. Give it a shot you wont be sorry.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )

Last edited by glassdave; 04-22-2011 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:11 PM
RL
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I'll try to pick some up when we get back to St Clair if they're back again with the product.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:16 PM
LV
Gold Member
Gold Member

if that does not work you can always get some 1000 or 1200 grit and wet sand it, then buff it out! just a little extra work!
Old 04-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I heard this:
First) 3m Rubbing Compound
Then) 3m Finesse
Final) Wax with PTEF in it.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:09 AM
Registered

I've been a big fan of aquabuff in the past, nbut in the past year or so I've been using meguires diamond cut 85 - it cuts well at first and then as the abraisives wear smaller leaves a high gloss finish. I use it in place of where I used to use 3m compound and finesse it 2 together. Give it a try, you'll be pleased. foam pad is my favorite for most jobs and requires no additional finshing.
Old 04-25-2011, 11:50 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Keep in mind painted and gel surfaces react very differently to what is used. Foam pad for paint and wool for gel has always worked best for me. Most of my suggestions above are geared towards gel.
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )
Old 04-25-2011, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by wtfo
I've been a big fan of aquabuff in the past, nbut in the past year or so I've been using meguires diamond cut 85 - it cuts well at first and then as the abraisives wear smaller leaves a high gloss finish. I use it in place of where I used to use 3m compound and finesse it 2 together. Give it a try, you'll be pleased. foam pad is my favorite for most jobs and requires no additional finshing.
+1oo
Old 04-25-2011, 12:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by glassdave
Keep in mind painted and gel surfaces react very differently to what is used. Foam pad for paint and wool for gel has always worked best for me. Most of my suggestions above are geared towards gel.
That brought up my next concern. My boat was an ex raceboat that has been refinished by ten different people in the last 25 years. I can't tell if the tunnel is painted or gel.. ??
Old 04-25-2011, 02:12 PM
Registered

Default Glare

If you havent heard about this stuff you will soon, Glare....you will be amazed, I use it on airplanes, cars, and boats, amazing!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.