Look what I found

Notices
Formula

Look what I found

Old 10-18-2010, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

RedDOG,
Mine has the same kind of damage that is in your first picture.
There is water in the laminations.
They said they will notch the transom from the inside,in a large perimeter around the cutout, but not cut right thru and install new wood and re-glass.

I had the exhaust thru hulls off in the summer when I installed
mufflers and that area was in good shape.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In recent years, Formula has gone to making most things including seat bulkheads and framing out of Starboard or other like material that won't decompose due to moisture exposure. They were the first to design and incorporate the matrix hull stringer system, I think for the very same reason. The only "wood" in the newer Formulas is the transom itself. I still stand behind the company, still would not likely consider another performance boat manufacturer, and pray they survive the curent economic crisis.
Old 10-19-2010, 05:12 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

No intent to slam Formula, I will try and go to a 353 next year.

Mine is a 95 but you would think there would be some tech even in that distant past to seal transom cut outs and ventilate
the seat area.
The seat deal is not a big expense but the transom repairs can add up.

How did your guy rebuild the transom.

Originally Posted by RedDog382
In recent years, Formula has gone to making most things including seat bulkheads and framing out of Starboard or other like material that won't decompose due to moisture exposure. They were the first to design and incorporate the matrix hull stringer system, I think for the very same reason. The only "wood" in the newer Formulas is the transom itself. I still stand behind the company, still would not likely consider another performance boat manufacturer, and pray they survive the curent economic crisis.
Old 10-21-2010, 12:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by nsformula
How did your guy rebuild the transom.
There was no need to rebuild it. The was no moisture in the transom, just some minor separation of the plywood layers around the edges of the cut-outs. The dark discoloration you see on the gelcoat in the "before" photo is grease that has splayed off the driveshaft spline of the Stellings boxes. Cutouts were stripped down to bare wood, rebonded, and then sealed with epoxy resin to prevent future water intrusion.

I was extremely fortunate to have discovered the separation before it became a serious problem only because in my typical obsessive nature, I had pulled the Stellings boxes off to refinish them the right way. Since I have owned it, the boat has always been trailered and kept in my personal humidity and temperature-controlled inside storage building and meticulously maintained with no expense spared.

Completed job:
Attached Thumbnails Look what I found-stellings-004.jpg   Look what I found-stellings-005.jpg   Look what I found-strainers-015.jpg  

Look what I found-strainers-016.jpg   Look what I found-strainers-017.jpg  

Last edited by RedDog382; 10-21-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There was no need to rebuild it. The was no moisture in the transom, just some minor separation of the plywood layers around the edges of the cut-outs. The dark discoloration you see on the gelcoat in the "before" photo is grease that has splayed off the driveshaft spline of the Stellings boxes. Cutouts were stripped down to bare wood, rebonded, and then sealed with epoxy resin to prevent future water intrusion.

I was extremely fortunate to have discovered the separation before it became a serious problem only because in my typical obsessive nature, I had pulled the Stellings boxes off to refinish them the right way. Since I have owned it, the boat has always been trailered and kept in my personal humidity and temperature-controlled inside storage building and meticulously maintained with no expense spared.

Completed job:

You don't believe in using exhaust pipes?
Old 10-21-2010, 10:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
You don't believe in using exhaust pipes?
Nope! And I don't need no stinkin' TV either ...
Attached Thumbnails Look what I found-scope07-024.jpg  
Old 10-21-2010, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope! And I don't need no stinkin' TV either ...

LOL.....digital TV was coming so I ripped it out.