Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
29 Fountain w single.    PROS?  CONS? >

29 Fountain w single. PROS? CONS?

Notices

29 Fountain w single. PROS? CONS?

Old 01-27-2017, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

35 Fountain throwing water in the cockpit. Never on a 32 AT though. They are so superior!

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
There is some skewing here as some people are comparing the 37 AT to the 35 Fountain.

Some facts:
The 32 AT is a deeper boat. You will be more IN the 32 AT, vs. ON the 35 Fountain.
The 32 AT rides like a bigger boat. It's a wave crusher of a hull.
The 35 Fountain will be faster, HP for HP all things equal.
The 35 Fountain will be "wetter." OSO member ActiveShack had a 35 Fountain, and he said in the chop and slop, the boat was always throwing water in the cockpit and over the boat. Those are his words, not mine. I've never seen, or heard this complaint of the 32 AT.
The 32 AT will be a bit easier to work on. Get inside the bilge on both boats and picture yourself changing sparkplugs and impellers.
(Couple good pics of 32 AT access here: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...pic-heavy.html )

Depending on the 32 AT you are looking at... side entry or center entry, the cabin will have a completely different "feel" compared to the Fountain.

Good luck with your decision. You can't go wrong either way--all depends how you want the boat to perform for your needs.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:22 PM
Registered

Fountains performance report is bogus. Those 90mph 37 AT's with 525's, now thats legit speed you can expect everyday.

Scott has turned a best of 78mph with his 496HO 37AT. That's setup for everyday running with all the stuff aboard, not Fountain/Pamilco/performance report style.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:26 PM
Registered

Totally Want One!!!

They kind of remind me a of a 27' Fountain though.
Fountain owners are the only ones who have to worry about soft wood. (just kidding)
All BS and fun and games aside, the 42' Fountain is about the same size IRT weight, waterline length, wetted hull at speed as the:

38 Formula
38 Cigarette
388 Hustler
37 Active Thunder
38 Donzi ZR (38 ZR is bigger)
38 Scarab
39 Lavey Evo
39 Velocity
38 Powerquest
and others...
This one's the best. Cigarette and Fountains step design didnt work. But Active Thunders, is amazing!

I've had my personal boat 15+ feet in the air on the Chicago Poker Run and have run some distance in rough 4-6-8 chop/swells in the Atlantic on more than one occasion. This was all before I became involved with Pat and these boats as a Factory Rep. After the Chicago Poker Run, I went through the boat and only found one loose screw in the cabin, and it was probably loose before I started as the hole was stripped. This was also not a structural part. On the 37, you have the option of a drop in cabin liner which makes the entire cabin structure one piece. I think you will like this option for your boat.

Since then, I've been on even more rough water trips in these boats; and I can't tell you how well these boats ride. You just have to experience it.

Here is an excerpt from one of my previous posts:
"The way the dual-hull (DDC) rides is just indescribable. The step comes to a very sharp point at the very center of the keel; the line that is followed from the nose. From the step back to the transom is a somewhat flat pad, that has strakes built into it for accurate tracking. This basically allows the sharp point of the step to land first, and split the water in two, and then the pad carries the boat straight and level with no chine-walk/teeder. With such a dramatic single step, the boat ALWAYS, ALWAYS turns on this one step, at 30, 50, 70, 90 mph. Boats with multiple steps get into a disagreement with the driver on which step to pivot on, at any given situation, and this is how multiple step boats get out of shape in turns. I'll leave it at that. The AT is a single 4" step. Some of the other manufacturers are using 2-2" steps for the same level of efficiency, and angle of attack. Its a pretty well known fact that Cigarette and Fountain did NOT get their single step hulls right. Its a shame that too many folks think a single step does not work, just because they did not get it right.

The 33, 37, and 43 use the same design bottom. The 33 is literally a 9/10s scale version of the 37.
Here is some information on the architect of the DDC hull:
http://www.schoellmarine.com/innovations.htm
And the patent itself: High Speed Planning Hull Re. #36879"

Harry Schoell & Company is just a few doors down from the AT Factory. A trip down to him is referred to "off to the the Wizard." It's pretty convenient having a renowned marine architect just down the street. Accordingly, he is intimately involved with the way these boats are put together.
The following users liked this post:
ar300johnson (07-30-2023)
Old 01-27-2017, 06:35 PM
Registered

Not twins, but is very solid, very well built, is as big as a 32' Fountain, runs at 73-75mph, and will be right in your price range. This boat eats up rough water with a true Deep-V hull. The boat as a VERY deep freeboard so you are in the boat, not on it, which will lend to a very secure and safe ride/feel. "boatfreak" here on OSO had his 28AT for 6 years and just moved up to a 37AT. On the Thunder Run last year he kept (sometimes lead) pace with 4 37s, and 2 33s on the way to Islamoralda and Key Largo; in some REALLY sloppy water--3 & 4 footers with occasional deeper holes.

http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.c...o20580-en.html
We can potentially take your Fountain in on trade. We'll paint a longer paint job on it.
Dave,

I didn't realize you had a 43 Fountain. I heard Fountain was counting the ladder mount in overall length now.

Its a good think they don't mount the VHF antennas on the transom. Otherwise they'd be marketed as a 49 footer.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:38 PM
Registered

Sunsation makes 3 different 32' models.

32 Dominator
32 Innovator
32 SS

The 32SS is the biggest and deepest of all three. The Dominator is a little smaller boat, but bigger than a 32' Fountain! The Innovator is the one with the flip-up dash, and sit down/hybrid seating.
Define what kind of bigger water you want to run in. Ocean? LOTO? Lake Travis? What's your price range? What year of boat are you looking for? Are you looking for new or used?

Without knowing the specifics of each boat you have your eye on;
The 382 Formula will probably have the best ride.
The 42 Fountain will probably be the longest one per Reggie's ruler. ( )
The 36 Baja will run well, but might be be lower one on build quality.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Haha. Wildman grafix on here has a 32 fountain on the east coast of flerda. Glad the Atlantic Ocean is a small flat lake or he'd be in trouble.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:47 PM
Registered

Sydwayz has made a career out of bashing fountains, and promoting active thunders on oso. I'm sure I'll be on the oso "watch list" now!
Don't buy a 35' Fountain because its has 35 written on it. Its only a 32' boat.
The Sonic has an integrated platorm, so its really only 30' and most have a notched transom.
The Sunsation 32' Dominator is the same deal.
The Active Thunder is a 32' boat.
Same power--same size would be a 42 Outerlimits vs. a 47 Fountain.

No doubt, go for the 35. The biggest difference between stock prepared 35s and 38s, is the engine room. You gain the majority of the additional length there; from what I am told. Since ALL Sonics handle like counter manufacturers boats of 2-3 feet longer, (5-6 in Fountain's case, LOL), you will have a boat with 38 foot characteristics. without having to tow and pay for all that length.

You would also like the 31. The day I bought my 26, the previous owners stepped up to a 31. I plan to skip the low 30s-footer, and go directly to the upper 30s. I think one of the major hindrances on the 31 is the walk rail goes all the way around the engine compartment, and it cramps working on the motors, especially BBCs. The 35 & up Sonics drop the walk rail around the motors for more access.
Old 01-27-2017, 06:55 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 481 Posts

Well I hope the OP got his answer in the first couple of pages because the rest of the thread, although fun reading, contains almost no useful info for the OP.....!

Carry on, I'm enjoying it......

RR
The following users liked this post:
uluru (05-12-2022)
Old 01-27-2017, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 4,404 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Holy **** googler you put some work into that. I didnt realize he was a hater to such a degree and drinking the AT coolaid by the gallon.
I got a question, why after the huge step is haf the AT missing? When I fist saw one out of the water I though there was something wrong with it. How good can the ride be with half a boat MIA? (I`m sure it`s fantastic no need to reply)

Don`t think "best day and all day " is the definition of contradiction But OK, whatevs...
Old 01-27-2017, 07:16 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,217 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by rak rua
Well I hope the OP got his answer in the first couple of pages because the rest of the thread, although fun reading, contains almost no useful info for the OP.....!

Carry on, I'm enjoying it......

RR

Me too. This is awesome; like the OSO version of "[ATTACH=CONFIG]564179[/ATTACH]" like Facebook has, coupled with "Sydwayz, the semi-authorized Biography!"
I've got my helmet on.

Keep going! You will find some better stuff. Maybe the other Moderators will make it a separate thread, as I appreciate y'alls efforts.

I wish I made a career out of boating; but it's just where I blow my money, not make it.
I hope I don't lose any of my Fountain owning friends in "real life" though!
Attached Thumbnails 29 Fountain w single.    PROS?  CONS?-facebook-day-136397061517503901-150325095552.jpg  

Last edited by Sydwayz; 01-27-2017 at 08:12 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.