Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Stereo Systems in your boats!!!! >

Stereo Systems in your boats!!!!

Notices

Stereo Systems in your boats!!!!

Old 01-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Stereo Systems in your boats!!!!

not trying to get on anyones side here, but my guess is if you took the time to hook all those speakers up with that clean an installation, you would probably know how to set em to sound good....
Old 01-25-2006, 03:54 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cigarette38topgun
Actually bigyellowcat is correct. Since that Baja has so many speakers they will cancel each other out and it will sound like a big mess of sound...with one set of speakers you can have perfect staging and it will sound clean and clear.....
They may, they may not. If done correctly then no.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:35 PM
Registered

Received 64 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by 42PLAYBOY
ACTUALLY BIGYELLOWCAT IS WRONG THEY DID NOT CANCEL EACH OTHER OUT.
that is something I do not take lightly, when someone tells me I am wrong about audio. this will take a minuite.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Audiofn
They may, they may not. If done correctly then no.
if you are referring to line array technology, then they are incorrect due to center to center spacing and horizontal plane.

has that guy ever heard of comb filtering?
Old 01-25-2006, 04:45 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigyellowcat
that is something I do not take lightly, when someone tells me I am wrong about audio. this will take a minuite.
I think there is a BIG one coming.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if you are referring to line array technology, then they are incorrect due to center to center spacing and horizontal plane.

the installer probably knows but i dont have any clue what is it.?
Old 01-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Registered

I have to go to a meeting but I will get back to this later tonight.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:21 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am refering to the possibility that maybe he got it right either by luck or design.

Jon
Old 01-25-2006, 06:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use Line Arrays all the time so here's my take on it. That amount of speakers will form a line array but only up to a certain frequency. In order to have what we in the concert business call a practical line array, (up to 16khz or so) the components must be equal to or closer than the wavelength of the highest desired frequency. The higher the frequency, the smaller the wavelength. Wavelength = speed of sound/freq. Since the speed of sound varies, I'll use a practical speed of 1130 feet per second, that's at 70 degrees Fahrenheit. That would make a 16khz wave about 8/10 of an inch long. These speakers in the Baja are most likely co-axials so the distance between tweeters is about 6 inches that's about 2khz so the line array principle would be good up until there. Past there, it would sound a little ugly to say the least, especially a singer's voice. Plus line arrays need some hi end crossovers. If one setting in my system goes off by a few microseconds, the whole thing sounds like DONKEY!!! I believe this is just a show system, just for looks and a lot of volume albeit some of it will sound nasty. Sometimes less is more and in the past, I've made things clearer and appear louder by shutting down part of the P.A. (except subs). All of these speakers will just make some things messy. (Combfiltering and lobing) Now a properly tuned line array sounds sweet!!! From a physics point of view it's acting like one happy giant full range speaker!! I hate when I have to mix on anything else, it's like trying to race against Skaters and such with a Bayliner
Old 01-25-2006, 10:06 PM
Registered

ok, i'm back. Me being a stereo guy, I think that boat with all the speakers is cool because I think the more speakers looks cool too, hell I have 8-15" speakers in my boat and 42 total speakers, so dont think I am knocking it. I am just trying to point out that just like that system I could take out 6 of my 15" speakers and it would still be just as loud if not louder. I am putting a pair of 2" throat compression drivers with custom horns for the highs in my truck so I am all about overkill, but if someone wants there boat to sound as loud as that one looks they would only need to put a couple speakers in.

Quick Reply: Stereo Systems in your boats!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.