Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Boating Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion-51/)
-   -   What is the worst single engine performance boat (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-boating-discussion/166983-what-worst-single-engine-performance-boat.html)

Roger 1 08-29-2007 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by RJBBC (Post 2253364)
Roger,
I went out to the lake yesterday to see if our motor mounts are through bolted to the stringers. They are and our boat came with a 454MAG from the factory. What year was your 259?

Mine was a 2000. I know that they got a lot of grief about doing that and may have changed it.

RJBBC 08-30-2007 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by Roger 1 (Post 2253516)
Mine was a 2000. I know that they got a lot of grief about doing that and may have changed it.

I justed counted three different votes for Checkmate's 259 model. This is the wrong thread for the boat you own to be so popular, damn.:throw:

Knot 4 Me 08-30-2007 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by RJBBC (Post 2253774)
I justed counted three different votes for Checkmate's 259 model. This is the wrong thread for the boat you own to be so popular, damn.:throw:

Doesn't matter what others think, Rob. If you are happy with your boat then there is nothing wrong with it. It looks and runs great. Yes, the hull has some nuances you have to get used to but as we know with enough seat time you figure out how to work around them. I've rode in way worse boats than yours. Let's get the Hydromotive on her this weekend and see how she performs!

wrinkleface 08-30-2007 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by BajaFresh (Post 2246422)
This one! :D

Is that Fred K. on one of those long term engine tests? All he needs is a porti-potty!!!!:party-smiley-048:

Magic Medicine 08-30-2007 08:04 AM

I would worry about it either. Checkmate builds a solid boat peroid. I have seen many a brand of boat come apart and I mean come apart. Bottom line is you get what you pay for and some people are too dang picky.

ThruHull 08-30-2007 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Magic Medicine (Post 2253840)
Bottom line is you get what you pay for

If you DON'T pay for it, you definately don't get it.....If you DO pay for it, you MIGHT get it! :cool-smiley-011:

Roger 1 08-30-2007 08:27 AM

I'm not interested in winning any popularity contest. I just responded to a thread and related my personal experiences. When asked to explain, I elaborated and got more specific.
I'm glad that you are happy with your boat and I hope that it gives you many enjoyable hours, mine did'nt. I stand by my statements.

Roger Holmberg

RJBBC 08-31-2007 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Roger 1 (Post 2253871)
I'm not interested in winning any popularity contest. I just responded to a thread and related my personal experiences. When asked to explain, I elaborated and got more specific.
I'm glad that you are happy with your boat and I hope that it gives you many enjoyable hours, mine did'nt. I stand by my statements.

Roger Holmberg

Roger,
I appreciate you sharing your experiences. If our boat floats and runs I am having a good time. Perhaps I am a soft critic.
Rob

articfriends 08-31-2007 08:03 AM

No one likes to hear someone else call their boat "the worst handling boat they have ever driven" but I wouldn't take it personal. My 2000 baja 272 was a rattling,ill handling pos until I pulled the gas tank cover,actually mounted the gas tank to the stringers where the factory screws totally missed,re-inforced the cover,re-mounted the bolsters (the hard ware was falling out), changed the engine mounts,added twin ram full hydraulic steering,had several pieces of trim re-glassed and mounted to the boat after they fell off,re-mounted the cabin door latch that had fell off,made new trim tabs and re-rigged some pretty sloppy wiring that was miles too long. There are lots of other things I'm not even going into,the dealer was ZERO help.Other Baja owners get quite pizzed when I talk about how mediocre the quality control and rigging is but I tell it like it is when asked. Now the boat is a O/K handling,over-powered typical mid 20 foot boat, I have learned to put up with its downfalls and am somewhat pleased with it,Smitty

Sydwayz 08-31-2007 08:06 AM

Does anyone have any first hand input on the 28 Challenger?