Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > General Boating Discussion
Are cats really that dangerous? >

Are cats really that dangerous?

Notices

Are cats really that dangerous?

Old 05-07-2008, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check your policies! Ask anyone who has done the course and they will tell you it was well worth it. But dont be fooled by lower rates on boats that some companies dont cover.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:32 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Michael1
It's still a cat, so how do they keep from slapping the bridge? While it might hold it's own, how do you keep from getting pounded to death?

Michael
Cats ride smoother than vees..to the point that you need to stand up in a small vee or risk injuring your back...versus cats that all have seats........ a 24 Skater has much less impact than a 24 vee in racing conditions.......

Cats slap up to about 40 or 50 mph, which while fast for a vee, is a "transition speed for cats
Old 05-07-2008, 02:36 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by PhantomChaos
M

Forget it.......T2x is still living back in the 80's!!! If he could....he'd have a mullet!
When you think about only five things have changed in performance boating since the 80's and only one is significant.

1. Hering CNC's prop technology...... significant.

2. Beaks............insignificant

3. Bling............. ditto

4. Misplaced Bravado.....ditto

5. The internet..............

T2x
Old 05-07-2008, 02:40 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Comanche3Six
A vee couldn't go that fast.............

certainly not an Apache......... and I love Apaches.

Bottom line watch all of the big water offshore races after 1981....... cats have dominated.

T2x
The race in your video was flat calm.....very high trim, high rake speed props, and one hull "spilled air" under the other.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:49 PM
T2x
Allergic to Nonsense
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by CanDo
What legal race class in the past were both the 30 Shadow and the 36 Cig competitors? Sport, Mod, Open? Can not recall.
El Boss ....... 36 Cig Sport class.... 30 Shadow Sport class. The owner, Willie Diaz, had both and chose the Shadow for the entire 1982 season...rough or calm...and beat a number of 36 Cigarettes (White Heat, etc).

P.S. with identical aluminum Eickhert engines the cat was 36 mph faster

Maxon 30' Chris Cat.....Open class 1985-86.......... against various Cigarettes............. and Apaches.

Various modified Chris cats and Shadows..... versus Wild Turkey 36' Modified Cigarette.

etc, etc, etc,

Nice try.......... Wrong debate

T2x
Old 05-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LostinBoston
Thanks
Old 05-07-2008, 03:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by T2x
El Boss ....... 36 Cig Sport class.... 30 Shadow Sport class. The owner, Willie Diaz, had both and chose the Shadow for the entire 1982 season...rough or calm...and beat a number of 36 Cigarettes (White Heat, etc).

P.S. with identical aluminum Eickhert engines the cat was 36 mph faster

Maxon 30' Chris Cat.....Open class 1985-86.......... against various Cigarettes............. and Apaches.

Various modified Chris cats and Shadows..... versus Wild Turkey 36' Modified Cigarette.

etc, etc, etc,

Nice try.......... Wrong debate

T2x
Are you guys aware T2x has an entire dvd series adressing this issue? I believe it's entitled "Cats conquer offshore" and it's excellent ! Should be required viewing for anyone interested in this topic !!
Old 05-07-2008, 03:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 50 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Von Bongo
Boy that's different than I was quoted. A 26 daytona with a 496ho is about an 80 MPH boat, and it was between 3 and 4K plus the tres course.

Never even came close to $1000 on my 28 pantera that ran close to that. 30 years of boating, never a claim, married with children, 760 credit scores, last speeding ticket was 15 years ago.

You must have a source other than Merkel.
The only other carrier besides Markel that I know of is American Reliable and they will insure a cat...

I have mine with them but they typically won't insure a a first time cat owner and you still need to have gone through and passed a course like Tres' offers, which is well worth the investment in my opinion.

All said and done it was still around $5600.00 with a 6 month lay-up, designated driver policy and inland waterway's only, not including Tres's course... Even if you could find someone else to write the policy at a lower premium they probably wouldn't cover what you need if there was a claim.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:55 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

In the late 80s I ran a 30 Chris Cat . We consistently beat the 41 Apaches , Gigarettes , 12 meters etc . in any water conditions .
In 1990 at Virginia beach we placed second in nasty water to a big V hull and trailed by only 30 seconds , with a snapped off trim hose I might add . Ask any throttleman how hard that is , talk about feathering the throttles .
The cat / v debate will never end . Once I got in the cat I never looked back . To each his own and respect for all .
As far as danger is concerned let's face it speed kills , the faster you go , the faster you may go .
Old 05-08-2008, 01:10 AM
Registered

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by T2x
Cats ride smoother than vees..to the point that you need to stand up in a small vee or risk injuring your back...versus cats that all have seats........ a 24 Skater has much less impact than a 24 vee in racing conditions.......

Cats slap up to about 40 or 50 mph, which while fast for a vee, is a "transition speed for cats
I'm not really disagreeing with you, but I think there is probably more to this subject, than just one riding better than another. I think the type of water has a lot to do how each hull type is going to respond. Even the Skater guys say you really need a 36 for the slop we have here in So. Cal.

Michael

Quick Reply: Are cats really that dangerous?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.